Oct 06 2010
By: smackysquirrel Monster Hunter 39 posts

PS3 Red Flashing Light/3 Beeps. Won't Turn On!

39 replies 49840 views Edited Oct 6, 2010

I have an original 60gb ps3 console and this is what happened. I was playing Dragon Age and about to meet the sloth demon in the fade, when all of a sudden my ps3 FROZE! I was like ugh, crap, now I have to restart. THEN it shut itself off and the red light was flashing. This concerned me because this NEVER happened before. I read online and some people said it was overheating, some said hard drive so here is what I did:

I shut it off for several minutes and turned it on (with no luck)

I shut it off, unplugged everything, then plugged it back in and turned it on (still no luck)
I shut it off, unplugged everything, took the hard drive out and cleaned the entire console with canned air, and the console wasn't even dirty.

I even tried replacing the hard drive, and I've turned it off and on in every possible way including the power switch, and I am fresh out of ideas.

Some people said it is hard drive, and I don't think it is, otherwise the replacement would have worked (which I know to be working), even with no hard drive the console does not boot. I also don't think it is over heating because the console is very clean and in an open area with lots of cold air conditioned air.

I am certain I am past the warranty and do not have $150 to repair it, if that was the case I would just purchase a new console, heck, even xbox for $199. The most upsetting thing is knowing that my save data is most likely gone and 30 hours of Dragon Age is gone. ANY feedback is appreciated with any ideas on how to fix this (any ideas I haven't tried). I am going to leave the console unplugged for the night and try again in the morning but somehow I doubt that will work since I have been working on this for the past 2 hours. Thanks in advance for any help

Message 1 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Re: PS3 Red Flashing Light/3 Beeps. Won't Turn On!

Oct 6, 2010
dom sony killswitch
$ony...it only takes away everything.
Message 2 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Oct 6, 2010

You have got the Ylod issue my friend. Either you are going to have to pay Sony upwards of $150 to get it fixed, buy a new system, or try to fix it on your own. Trying to fix it on your own is risky business, and the fix is not guaranteed to work(though I managed to retrieve my Metal Gear Solid 4 disc by doing so). The PS3 is a complicated piece of hardware... know that going in, and from what I've heard of Gophermods... no kind of fix outside of Sony is really reliable. If you are going to attempt this fix on your own I highly suggest you check out YouTube for videos on the process. Be warned... there are several different videos on the site, and not all of them are complete. Also... a valid point to make is that it might not work for you. As much as I love my 60 gig system, there was no way I was going pay Sony the kind of money they want to fix it. Double that amount would get me a brand new system, and they might just send you a refurbished system as they don't make 60 gig systems anymore. If you do attempt the fix yourself don't just jump into it. Take the time to understand what is going on, the inner workings of your system, and the risks involved. There are lots of ribbon cables, and screws in there that you'll have to deal with, and again the process is really complicated for those with no knowledge of electronics. Oh, and those ribbon cables are hell to work with. Best advice... save up for a new system. The only reason I did the fix is because I had a game stuck in the system. The hard drive can be swapped out, and put into your new system(provided you backed it up). If you didn't back it up, you stand to lose alot of stuff you may have downloaded. I actually tried this fix twice... the first time it lasted a few hours, and I got my game back. Still waiting to see how it worked the second time, as I am giving the thermal paste time to harden and form the bond between the chips and heatsink plates. I've also heard that the Ylod can be caused by a power supply failure, but if the system turns on that shouldn't be the case. Anyway... good luck with that, and let me know how you made out with it.

Message 3 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Oct 6, 2010
Thinking back to the issue, the game was playing fine until it had to load new data from the hard drive, so perhaps it IS the hard drive that failed? I have been saving and using the hard drive a LOT more since I got dragon age, and I still think it could be a faulty drive issue, and I have another drive on a laptop that would work but I put it in and it didn't, so perhaps I need to have it formatted in a certain file system first?
Message 4 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Oct 6, 2010

It's not a software issue or HDD issue. It's the YLOD.

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 5 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Oct 6, 2010

How is this YLOD when the issue is a flashing RED light? The system turns on, the light is green for about 2 seconds, then it quickly turns to yellow for about half of a second, followed by 3 beeps then a continuous flashing red light. It would be SUPERB to know exactly what the issue is pertaining to so I could repair it. I don't see how it's a overheating problem since it is in an open air conditioned area, and the unit itself is very clean. I also don't see how it's the hard drive since I swapped it out, unless I had to have a specific formatting on the drive prior, but I thought PS3 would format it itself. If anyone has had the exact issue of their system having these startup problems during gameplay that would help to know what you did. Also, it's worthy to note that I died during the game, and the system was going to load game save data, and that is the time it froze, then the system shut off with the red flashing light, so that was what was leading me to think it was a hard drive issue.

Message 6 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Oct 6, 2010

That sux man, mine just did the same thing found this, it might help:

Gophermods LLC | PS3 Repair | 1-(612)-354-2937

Alot cheaper than sending it to SONY, & reviews look promising. Check for your self.

Good Luck

Message 7 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Oct 6, 2010

You are describing a perfect YLOD. The yellow light is only on for a split second and then the red light starts flashing.

Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Free userbars
Message 8 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Oct 6, 2010

smackysquirrel wrote:

How is this YLOD when the issue is a flashing RED light? The system turns on, the light is green for about 2 seconds, then it quickly turns to yellow for about half of a second, followed by 3 beeps then a continuous flashing red light. It would be SUPERB to know exactly what the issue is pertaining to so I could repair it. I don't see how it's a overheating problem since it is in an open air conditioned area, and the unit itself is very clean. I also don't see how it's the hard drive since I swapped it out, unless I had to have a specific formatting on the drive prior, but I thought PS3 would format it itself. If anyone has had the exact issue of their system having these startup problems during gameplay that would help to know what you did. Also, it's worthy to note that I died during the game, and the system was going to load game save data, and that is the time it froze, then the system shut off with the red flashing light, so that was what was leading me to think it was a hard drive issue.

that is the ylod, classic.

the quick flash of yellow signals "general hardware failure", but i can tell you exactly what has happened.

your unit is a 60gig, notorious because the solder used in them is too brittle. the constant warming/cooling cycle of normal use causes micro stress-cracks in the solder holding the gpu and cpu to the mb, resulting in loss of connectivity.

google "gilksys method" or "ps3 reflow" for the temporary basement repair, but you are eventually going to have to send it to sony, or a third party place like gophermods.com.

or replace it with a new one.

sorry dude.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Oct 6, 2010

If I purchased a new PS3, assuming my hard drive is not faulty, will I be able to plug in the old hard drive and back up the data off of it? Assuming the new console purchased is PS3 slim...

Message 10 of 40 (49,840 Views)
0 Likes