May 07 2007
By: Ahmi~ First Son 3 posts

PS3 Problem with software update Error 8002F14E

11 replies 22549 views Edited May 7, 2007
Hello Community of Sonyers,

I have a PS3 that over the weekend decided the internet browser would stop working.  It told me to perform a system update.  I attempted this and now I am stuck in a loop that says the update failed due to error 8002F14E.  It tells me to reboot and try again.  I do this and get the same error.  It won't let me to any main menus just only to a screen that has me hit x and it errors out.  I have tried reboots, unplugging it, holding down the power until it is supposed to reset.  Basically everything I could think of.   Do any of you have any other ideas?  It looks like it is a brick at this point.  I tried to take it back to Target. . . its 10 days out of the 90 for exchanges.  I called Sony and it looks like they are going to make me ship it back.

Any suggestions would help.

-Ahmi of One
Message 1 of 12 (22,549 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 Problem with software update Error 8002F14E

May 21, 2007
I had this problem.
Go to the UK PS3 official site and access the download PS3 updates page.
Download the latest PS3 updates from this site onto a USB Memory Stick, saved in a Folder PS3\UPDATES (must be in capitals).
Plug the memory stick into any of the USB ports on the PS3 and try to run the update again.
I had to swith it off, and back on again numerous times still getting the same error but then for no reason it decided to complete the update and now everything is ok.
Need to be a bit patient with it (I admit I nearly gave up with it) but it seems to do the trick eventually.

Message 2 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 21, 2007
Thank you for responding.  Sony didn't have a clue what to do so they had me send it in.  Hopefully the one I get back will be in the same pristine shape my old one was in.  Thanks.

Ahmi
Message 3 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
465 posts

May 21, 2007

Ahmi wrote:
Thank you for responding.  Sony didn't have a clue what to do so they had me send it in.  Hopefully the one I get back will be in the same pristine shape my old one was in.  Thanks.

Ahmi

Okay, um, do these error codes really have a meaning? Or are they just random crap? Because typically when you design a product, you know what your own error codes mean. :smileytongue:
640GB PS3 Slim

Get your Portable ID!
Message 4 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7325 posts

May 21, 2007

Tsukaru wrote:

Ahmi wrote:

Ahmi

Okay, um, do these error codes really have a meaning? Or are they just random crap? Because typically when you design a product, you know what your own error codes mean. :smileytongue:

Seriously!
I'm still very satisfied with my PS3 No offense.

Message Edited by xplosneer on 05-21-2007 03:03 PM
Message 5 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 2, 2007
The fun continues.  Sony shipped a box ground to me to send my PS3 back.  The box got stuck in shipping, took 2 weeks to get.  The great news is that it only took 3 days from the time I sent mine away until I got a "new" (refurb) one.

I opened the box happy to find the refurb didn't have scratches or obvious wear.  I was happy. 

Well I plugged it in to find the drive mechanism doesn't work.  It would only take games in 3/4 of the way.  I called Sony.  Their only policy is to do the whole process again.  They wouldn't even send the box overnight.  I asked them if the refurb was originally sent in for drive problems.  They wouldn't tell me.

Overall not very impressed. 

In general, I hope the PS3 experience gets better.  I had to go to Japan for a business trip.  The good news is that the PS3 isn't region locked so I was excited to find a game not available in the US.  Well, the Sony Store in Ginza, once home to a whole gaming floor had got rid of all gaming related electronics besides one PS3 to show blueray.  The two largest electronics retail outlets in Ginza and Akihaba only had a small section for PS3 and the only game they had was Motor Storm which at the time had a couple weeks until launch in the US.

Again, not very impressed.

Ahmi
Message 6 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Nov 21, 2007
I am having a similiar problem. I have a Japanese PLaystation 3. The update cancelled for some reason the controller was not on the desk at the time.The machine is stuck in a loop and will not get past 53% of the update and Sony UK wont touch it with a stick and Sony Japane require you to hand deliver it.

The thing that gets me is OK the warranty may of ran out. But surly from a legal stan point as there update system damaged the machine they should have a legal obligation to fix it.
PS3 60GB Japanese
PS3 60GB PAL
PS3 40GB PAL + 37" HDTV
Message 7 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
503 posts

Nov 21, 2007
reset to origional settings, if this doesnt work, expect the ups man soon
Message 8 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 30, 2008

I almost freak out as i received the similar error 8002F14E while i was going through the firmware update ver 2.20 for my PS3 40GB. I was searching high and low from the Internet but to no vails. Finally i managed to get the upgrade complete and this is what i did. I remove all USB devices that're connected to my PS3, ensure the hard-disk are intact tightly (don't need to unscrew... just push the hard-disk in firmly), and then restart the PS3 without any USB devices connected. It managed to proceed straight to 100% and when I check on the firmware version after reboot, it's successfully upgraded to version 2.20. Whew..!!!

I hope that for any future PS3 owners who encounter this error in the future, just try the experience i share above... and i hope it'll solve from having you sweat and freak out.. and most importantly, your PS3 still works and don't need to send back to Sony.

Message 9 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 28, 2009
Ok i had the same problem with the 8002f14e error coming up wouldnt finish the update i tried everything i could to repair myself i finally came to have an idea and it worked perfectly my bluray drive was not working or so i thought i changed the blu ray ribbon that connects to the drive and the motherboard restarted my system and let the update continue and out of the blue bam i got my ps3 back not a bad fix for 5.99 off ebay hope this helps some of you with similar problem well happy gaming
Message 10 of 12 (22,547 Views)
0 Likes