Apr 17 2010
By: builder21 Splicer 51 posts

PS3 Hard Drive Swap Questions

21 replies 713 views Edited Apr 17, 2010

Recently my hdd space on my 80gb has been very low and I'm looking to replace my hardrive. Before I do though, I have some questions.

1)What is the max size of hardrive the PS3 can use?

2)Is it  hard to swap out the hardrive?

3)Is 250gb a good deal at $99?

4)For online games where is you rank or level saved?

5)If I back-up my hardrive what is saved?

Message 1 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Re: PS3 Hard Drive Swap Questions

Apr 17, 2010

builder21 wrote:

Recently my hdd space on my 80gb has been very low and I'm looking to replace my hardrive. Before I do though, I have some questions.

1)What is the max size of hardrive the PS3 can use? i dont know

2)Is it  hard to swap out the hardrive? NO just have the right screw driver so you dont strip anything or use a small flat head screwdriver plenty of youtube vids and your manual also shows it 

3)Is 250gb a good deal at $99? no bestbuy has 320gb 7200rpm for 80$ and smaller sizes for cheaper

4)For online games where is you rank or level saved? not on the HDD so dont worry bout it

5)If I back-up my hardrive what is saved? i dont know

Message 2 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5251 posts

Apr 18, 2010
I got my 500gb HDD from newegg.com for $79.00 all in.
Message 3 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

Apr 18, 2010

SolidEye33 wrote:

1. Right now the biggest hdd for the PS3 is 640GB.
  2. No, is very easy to replace the Ps3 internal hdd.
  3. I don't think that's a good deal. You can find bigger hdd for $99
  4. your online stats is saved on a server, so it doesn't matter when you change the hdd
  5. Here's a list of files that won't be transfer.

wrong...it's not a transfer; it's a back up.  "Everything" will get backed up...and if restoring to the same PS3 "Everything" will get restored.  In the event you restore to a different PS3(obviously not the case here), DRM content will not be restored.  And don't ask what "Everything" means..."Everything" means "Everything".

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 4 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
VxF
Uncharted Territory
1891 posts

Apr 18, 2010

ThePunisher wrote:

SolidEye33 wrote:

4. your online stats is saved on a server, so it doesn't matter when you change the hdd

wrong...it's not a transfer; it's a back up.  "Everything" will get backed up...and if restoring to the same PS3 "Everything" will get restored.  In the event you restore to a different PS3(obviously not the case here), DRM content will not be restored.  And don't ask what "Everything" means..."Everything" means "Everything".

So... "Everything" means "Everything but your trophies", right 

No, really, jokes aside. Your trophies will NOT back up - you have to synch those with the server.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2560 posts

Apr 18, 2010

ThePunisher wrote:

SolidEye33 wrote:

OK thank you for correcting me. I forgot that that only applies when restoring into a different system.

Message 6 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2560 posts

Apr 18, 2010

Message 7 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Apr 18, 2010

SolidEye33 wrote:

I have to correct you on 1. : The biggest HDD thats currently availalbe for PS3 is 750GB. It's a fairly new drive from Western Digital (WD7500BPVT). It has the required size of 9.5mm that fits the ps3. You can get it at newegg.com for $110

Message 8 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 16, 2010

Australian (Pacific Region?) PS3's have a slightly different method for swapping out the hard drive as shown on the youtube vids. Watch them, though, for info not covered below.

You need a 2.5" hard drive. There's hardly any diff between a 5400 and 7200 RPM model, so go for the lower revs, cos it's cheaper. You can  get 2.5" 1TB models now, but they're expensive.

Use a 1 X 100 mm screw driver. Anything else can easily strip the screws.

Make sure you have a USB external storage device with the latest upgrade for the PS3, and that it's the same as on you're PS3.

It might be wiser to upgrade before you do the procedure. Create a folder called PS3 (always use caps) on your external drive, then within that another folder called UPDATE. Save the upgrade inside the UPDATE folder. Update the PS3. Then you want to save yr data to an external hard thru the Backup facility in Settings. Once you've done that, you're ready to swap the internal drive with no probs. If you haven't got enough room on yr ext hard drive/flash drive, delete Game Data (not Saved Data) from the PS3 - you can reload that stuff when you pop the relevant game disk back in.

There's no swivel handle on 40gig Aussie PS3 drives (dunno about other models). Just pull the tab out that was being held by the blue main screw. The drive will follow.

Don't go ultra tight screwing the new drive back in.

When you reconnect cables and turn the power back on, you'll get a message about not being able to format the drive. Insert the external drive with the (correct) upgrade on it, then press and hold START and SELECT together until the screen changes. Follow the rest of the insturctions til it's all done, then reload your saved data from the ext drive using the Restore function in the same menu as the Backup function in system settings.

You are now totally done. I just did this with a Seagate 500gig drive. I figured I didn't need more capacity and could use an external drive for any extra stuff.

Message 9 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
525 posts

Jun 23, 2010

The tuturials fail to tell you that your PS3 flash memory is not large enough to hold the latest firmware updates. You need to format new hard drive to FAT 32. Next on flash drive create a folder PS3,in that folder create UPDATE,in this folder put the update. Now when it asks for update press start &select at same time. This will now allow you to proceed with formating new hard drive. I did have trouble with back up on external drive. Even though i formated to FAT 32, kept getting 800100>>>>error code. Sony......."you are truly a pain in the ass!!!" had to settle for copying movies, songs etc. and adding them myself.

Message 10 of 22 (713 Views)
0 Likes