Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 04 2010
By: luciFOUR Sackboy 649 posts

PS3 HDD swap question.

8 replies 441 views Edited Sep 4, 2010

Hey guys I don't think this has been asked yet, so here goes.

My old PS3 died on me quite awhile ago and I plan on buying a new one.  However, when I sell my old PS3 to someone else, I don't want them to access any stuff on that old HDD (downloaded games, DLC, etc.).  So my plan is that I am going to put my old HDD in my friend's PS3 so that way it reformats it and clears everything on there.  Then I will put my old HDD back in my old PS3 and sell it like that.  However my question is that after I take my old HDD out of my friend's PS3, will his system ask him to reformat his own HDD also? (seeing how my HDD is now "paired" with his system). I wouldn't want him to lose any data on his HDD, because some of his gamesaves are copy-protected.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Re: PS3 HDD swap question.

Sep 4, 2010

no, his ps3 will still recognize its own hdd. your plan will work fine.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Sep 4, 2010

Thank you for the quick answer. kudos

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7121 posts

Sep 4, 2010

Why don't you just reformat your old internal drive using a PC?  Or even easier, the built in format option from the XMB?

AmnesiaInnocent Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Sep 4, 2010

AmnesiaInnocent wrote:

Why don't you just reformat your old internal drive using a PC?  Or even easier, the built in format option from the XMB?

"My old PS3 died on me quite awhile ago and I plan on buying a new one.  However, when I sell my old PS3 to someone else, I don't want them to access any stuff on that old HDD (downloaded games, DLC, etc.).  So my plan is that I am going to put my old HDD in my friend's PS3 so that way it reformats it and clears everything on there.  Then I will put my old HDD back in my old PS3 and sell it like that.  However my question is that after I take my old HDD out of my friend's PS3, will his system ask him to reformat his own HDD also? (seeing how my HDD is now "paired" with his system). I wouldn't want him to lose any data on his HDD, because some of his gamesaves are copy-protected."

I can't access the XMB

I don't want to crack open my PC. It's much easier using another PS3

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7121 posts

Sep 4, 2010

I suppose, but it's probably easier to spend $10 on a HDD USD enclosure and format it using a PC

AmnesiaInnocent Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Sep 4, 2010

AmnesiaInnocent wrote:

I suppose, but it's probably easier to spend $10 on a HDD USD enclosure and format it using a PC

It's even easier to drive down the street and use my friend's PS3, for FREE.

I do appreciate the input though, thank you

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Sep 4, 2010

that plan will work fine your friend will still be able to use his hard drive

you can use multiple hard drives in the same PS3 its when you take it and put it in a different PS3 that it asks to format it.

i have an 80gb and a 500gb and i can switch between the two and never asks to reformat

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
649 posts

Sep 4, 2010

jma1024 wrote:

that plan will work fine your friend will still be able to use his hard drive

you can use multiple hard drives in the same PS3 its when you take it and put it in a different PS3 that it asks to format it.

i have an 80gb and a 500gb and i can switch between the two and never asks to reformat

Okay thank you.  I didn't plan on putting his HDD in any other PS3, just his after I had used it with mine.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (441 Views)
0 Likes