Aug 30 2009
By: TofuTakahashi First Son 2 posts

PS3 Graphics Glitches *Help!*

4 replies 57 views Edited Aug 30, 2009
For about a month now, my 40 Gig PS3 has been getting these weird graphical glitches. I've tried switching the cables HDMI, component, and HD component. Even when I switch out the cables the same glitches would appear during game play. I then tried different TV's some HD LCD's and some CRT's. This also did not solve the problem. The glitch occurs on any PS3 game, during the game play there will be random flashes of green as if the textures are being loaded. The other glitch is a line that appears on a graphics model and continues in the same direction no matter the camera angle. The glitches get worst the longer the system is on. I've tried cooling it down then placing it in a cooler room, and nothing seems to work. Everything on it runs fine its just this glitch on the graphics, It gets to the point sometimes where you cant even stand playing. For Example: When playing Resident Evil 5 the line glitch appears right on Chris Redfield's face so with this gigantic line spanning the screen and your view becomes nonexistent. I could not find anything about this problem please help!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2107 posts

Re: PS3 Graphics Glitches *Help!*

Aug 30, 2009
I get the samething except only on BATTLEFIELD 1942....It gets like Blocks of Black color over say a soldier then it goes away. I have a 60GB model.
" PS3 CREED"
This is my PS3.There are many like it but this one is mine. My PS3 is my best friend.It is my life.I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my PS3 is useless. Without my PS3 I am useless. I must fire my dual shock true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to frag me. I must shoot him before he shoots me.I will before Kevin Butler swear this creed. My PS3 and myself are defenders of my clan. we are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it until there is no XB but peace. Amen.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8603 posts

Aug 30, 2009

This is a graphics processor problem.  Others symptoms are called "Graphic Artifiacts" or "Graphic Spikes". 

Couple options:

Call Sony and get it fixed.

Or reapply thermal compound to the heatsink of the GPU (this isn't a guarantee fix).

Graphic Artifact examples:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=graphic+artifacts&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Message Edited by Monsignor on 08-30-2009 06:26 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Aug 30, 2009
Ah, well I'll just throw the thing back at Sam's Club and get a new one. Thanks though.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8603 posts

Aug 30, 2009

TofuTakahashi wrote:
Ah, well I'll just throw the thing back at Sam's Club and get a new one. Thanks though.

If you are under the in-store warranty, it's the way to go.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (57 Views)
0 Likes