Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 13 2009
By: DOCEROC Last Guardian 11971 posts

PS3 Freezing Solution I got working on a couple of PS3s

12 replies 3460 views Edited Oct 13, 2009
I recently had a major tickoff with my PS3. When playing BATMAN Arkham Asylum, my PS3 would freeze up after a bit of playing.
Like you said, I could turn the PS3 off for a bit, longer off the better.  Then start it up and play for a bit before it would annoyingly freeze.

Well I searched everywhere and found nothing but problems from everyone related to Firmware Update.

Well, being the Software Engineer I am, I was determined to find a solution....well oddly enough, I did!

If you turn your PS3 up on its side, but not the normal way...turn it so the HDD slot is up in the air. So basically the DVD slot is closer to the table or whatever its on.
Put in your game and start her up!  Your PS3 fan is gonna start getting loud....louder....louder...woa its gonna blow? lol not, it is cooling off correctly now! I grabbed some can air and blew the thing nicely...anyways, keep it here in this position and you are not gonna get any freeze ups now!  Great fix and no warranty voids or problems at all.
Works perfectly! Crazy solution and well worth posting! Try it with yours to see what the fan sounds like.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10862 posts

Re: PS3 Freezing Solution I got working on a couple of PS3s

Oct 13, 2009
thats what they used to do for the 60GB back in  the day to get all the dust out

Photobucket

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11971 posts

Oct 13, 2009
Oh for real? Oh hey mine is a 60gb. I don't know why I did that other than getting the ventilation changed up just to see if it was overheating. I keep my house may cold, there is an AC vent that comes behind my tv and ps3, and i keep mine clean alot, but i know time is a b*tch and it just played perfectly! I have since beaten the Batman AA game too
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
980 posts

Oct 13, 2009
if the freeze ups are software related . the temp of the unit is irrelavent . sounds like a good way to burn up fan motors .
" As much as I would like for people to communicate and use their mics it will never happen. Party chat insured that. " - as stated in a xbox forum concerning with cross game chat ruining team oriented gaming..... becarefull what you wish for .
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11971 posts

Oct 13, 2009

Fuzzy, I totally see what u r stating, but this actually helped my fan by giving it just a bit of extra boost to turn.  That is when I can aired the vents on the thing. I take the PS back horizontal for a few days at a time, I just normally keep mine vertical

But it works perfectly.

Ironically, Batman AA was the only game I was getting this freeze up. I know software relativity has no effect, but here it actually did? I dunno weird, but I have found no other remedies or solutions posted and this worked on my PS3 and 2 friends PS3s that they were trashing!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Oct 13, 2009
that sounds like the stupidest **bleep** i ever heard then that vent is blocked equallin your ps3 will most likely overheat and am i the only one not haven problems with the firmware update only thing thats changed on mine is it is a little bit slower when trying to do mopre than one thing
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11971 posts

Oct 13, 2009

I have had no problems with my firmware update. I have sixaxis, DualShock 3 and aftermarket remotes. Everything works great.

I only had problem with BATMAN AA. Searched everywhere for this problem and no one had any answer worth a crap.

It may sound crazy, but it works. I am not some 16 year old kid posting to see my name in lights.

People are getting ticked with no solution...so therefore...I posted mine.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 13, 2009
I have a 60gig and I also have the latest update. While playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 my PS3 frooze up 2wice I turned it off and restarted from my last save and it did the same thing.  I haven't had this problem with any other games.  I was concerned that the firmware 3.1 was doing it because it didn't do it with 3.0.  I just hope im not expriencing the last days of my PS3.  I take very good care of it and it doesn't make any sense for Sony to be worth billions and can't provide a system that can last its 4 to 5 year life span with regular use like my Dreamcast, laptops and desktops.  I'm an old sony fan and have bought my share of Sony products so I have to rant a little, I luv my PS3 and I can't afford another 1 even with the price drop right now. 
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
850 posts

Oct 13, 2009

Brilliant, just...brilliant

You're blocking the cool air input of your PS3, that's why the fans are kicking up that loud and fast. If that's the way you engineer your problems out, man...

Keep playing it for a bit longer and you'll get the overheat warning, the blinking red light and some crapped pants for change.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11971 posts

Oct 14, 2009

My PS3 sits on a wire rack. The vent is not covered at all. Once the fan is able to start turning and moving air, can and vacuum out any dust or whatever.

U guys are too busy wantin to flame than getting the overall.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (3,460 Views)
0 Likes