Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 10 2011
By: Sentenza_456 First Son 3 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 Fan Problem?

7 replies 168 views Edited Dec 10, 2011

Hello,

The PS3 I have is a 40GB model I bought used off eBay. When using the XMB or internet browser the console runs quietly, but when I play a game (the only game I have at the minute is Demon Souls so I cant test it with others) after about 15-30minutes the fan kicks in pretty loudly. The person I bought it off did tell me this and has opened the console and cleaned out dust with compressed air, the vents are clear and unobstructed and it is vertical so I doubt its dust. The console also feels cool with only one part that feels slightly warm which is what would be the bottom if it was horizontal. I have an Xbox 360 and the noise level is somewhere near a 360 when powering up or loading a game and doesn't stop until I turn it off. I've just reapplied the thermal paste on the chips using Arctic Silver 5 and it still does it. The game still runs fine without any problems but I'm wary of buying anything else for it incase it dies on me. Anyone have any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 Fan Problem?

Dec 11, 2011

This is probably normal behavior.

Try playing a game for a while, and then quit the game and leave it on the XMB for about 5-10 minutes and see if the fan speed goes down. If it does, then your PS3 is running normally, if not you likely don't have a firm contact between your processors and the heatsink...

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16655 posts

Dec 11, 2011

Sentenza_456 wrote:

Hello,

The PS3 I have is a 40GB model I bought used off eBay. When using the XMB or internet browser the console runs quietly, but when I play a game (the only game I have at the minute is Demon Souls so I cant test it with others) after about 15-30minutes the fan kicks in pretty loudly. The person I bought it off did tell me this and has opened the console and cleaned out dust with compressed air, the vents are clear and unobstructed and it is vertical so I doubt its dust. The console also feels cool with only one part that feels slightly warm which is what would be the bottom if it was horizontal. I have an Xbox 360 and the noise level is somewhere near a 360 when powering up or loading a game and doesn't stop until I turn it off. I've just reapplied the thermal paste on the chips using Arctic Silver 5 and it still does it. The game still runs fine without any problems but I'm wary of buying anything else for it incase it dies on me. Anyone have any ideas?

Play your game and don't worry about it. The fan is going to get louder when playing a game as compared to being on the XMB and 15-30 minutes in doesn't sound unreasonable. Does it quiet down again after playing more or going back on the XMB?

<Edit> Logical was answering while I was. He said what I was getting at. I think it's normal too.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3512 posts

Dec 11, 2011

Since it is used,it could just be dirty inside where you cannot see..Buy a can of compressed air . Be ready to show your drivers license to buy it. Turn off your machine, shake the can really good and hold about 6 inchs away from breathing slots on PS3 and spray.Move can pretty fast when spraying as to not get to wet. Do this until you are almost positive its blowed out good.

.Do not turn on for a good while as to let the dust settle so as to not get on your lazer lens. This keeps mine very quiet.When I have had my fan get a little loud,this always fixes problem.If this was not used,it would for sure be something else but not everyone will spend 20 bucks on a can of air to do this.

Good Luck and Happy Holidays!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 11, 2011

Thanks for the answers guys.

I did use the method of application where you apply a small amount to the centre of the chips then press down on the heatsink but when I removed the fan there was no cut away so I could only press down on the general area. I was wondering if spreading would be better idea? It would help make sure the whole chip was cool and maybe the extra suction would ensure better contact between the processors and the heatsink. I may also try bending the clamps.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 11, 2011

The dot spread method still works the best IMO since the heat is generated and is concentrated in the center of the chip. You are welcome to try other methods, but I don't think you will see much difference. You might also look into replacing the thermal pads on your PS3 since they also help lower the temperature of the PS3 another 10-15 degrees.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 11, 2011

I've just tested the ps3 today. I loaded up the game and left it on for about an hour (I used my i-pod stopclock to time it while I was listening to music) and it ran very quietly throughout. I read somwhere, I think it was in the article in your signature dolphin, that Arctic Silver paste needs to "cure" so maybe that had something to do with it but regardless I'm happy!

Thanks for the advice Dolphin.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
135 posts

Dec 11, 2011

i take mine apart about ever 6 months and vaccum it out. still going strong since 07.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (168 Views)
0 Likes