Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 23 2008
By: A_N_T_H_O_N_Y I Only Post Everything 1091 posts

PS3 Blu-Ray Laser Burnt. Send it in to Sony or replace it myself???

56 replies 64 views Edited Nov 23, 2008

Today, I was playing Resistance 2, and then my parents called me down for lunch, so I paused the game, and went down to eat. After eating, I got back up to my room, looked at the clock and noticed that is was 4:45 and I had work at 5:00. So I quickly got dressed and left for work. When I got home from work at 10:00, I remembered that I left the game on. I turned on the TV, and saw that the game was no longer paused, the system was back at the XMB. I tried to go back into the game, but got the error that says "failed to load disc". I took out the game, put it back in, and the little loading bubble in the corner just kept spinning, and the disc never loaded. I tried resetting the system, unplugging it, trying other discs (Blu-Rays, Games, DVDs), cleaning out the drive with compressed air, all with no luck. Now, I'm pretty sure that the only thing that is broken on the console is the laser diode, since the system recognizes that there is a disc in the drive (spinning loading bubble icon), but it just won't read.

Now, I have two options. The first one is the safest option, which would be to call Sony, send my console in for a replacement, pay the $150 out of warranty fee (plus shipping to them), and get my system back in a few weeks. My second option is to buy a laser diode online, wait 1-2 weeks to get the part, then disassemble the console mysel, switch out the diode, and hope for the best. I am pretty good with that kind of stuff so I don't think I should have too many problems fixing it myself. Plus, I have my Dad who is probably as skilled as the Sony technicians.

I have a few questions though. When you send in a PS3 to Sony from Canada, how long does the replacement take? Also, has anyone here tried swapping out the diode themselves? Also, if I do plan on disassembling it, are there any worthwhile mods that I should do while I'm under the hood :smileywink:?

So yeah, what are you're opinions? I'm leaning towards fixing it myself, but would like some feedback first.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2744 posts

Re: PS3 Blu-Ray Laser Burnt. Send it in to Sony or replace it myself???

Nov 23, 2008

I say DO it cause either way if you do mess up you can still send it in to sony.

Good Luck

Hip Hop Fan Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/QWERTY_MASTAA
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4905 posts

Nov 23, 2008
Send it in, you might replace that part and something else might be broken. I think opening the ps3 voids a warranty if you got one.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 57 (64 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1091 posts

Nov 23, 2008
Really? I would assume that if Sony knew I cracked it open they would be like eff you go buy a new one... Or maybe they would fix it just because they want the money for the menial task of switching out the BD drive. IDK.
Message Edited by A_N_T_H_O_N_Y on 11-23-2008 01:29 AM
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Nov 23, 2008

This video may help if you do it yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztw_aUBQhI&feature=related

Kevin 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 57 (64 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1091 posts

Nov 23, 2008

I don't have a warranty I bought my PS3 in December 2006. Original 20GB baby! Upgraded to 120GB.

Also, if I send it in, don't they wipe the HDD data?

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2744 posts

Nov 23, 2008

A_N_T_H_O_N_Y wrote:
Really? I would assume that if Sony knew I cracked it open they would be like eff you go buy a new one... Or maybe they would fix it just because they want the money for the menial task of switching out the BD drive. IDK.
Message Edited by A_N_T_H_O_N_Y on 11-23-2008 01:29 AM

haha Trust me they NEED the money
Hip Hop Fan Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/QWERTY_MASTAA
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Nov 23, 2008

Also I would suggest that you wear a static band so you dont possibly short out your system.

Kevin 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1091 posts

Nov 23, 2008

soul wrote:

Also I would suggest that you wear a static band so you dont possibly short out your system.

Kevin 

Yeah I have one of those. I have the whole static matt thing that has a wrist strap and plugs into the ground on a wall plug.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
434 posts

Nov 23, 2008

Get Sony to fix it

MY NEPHEW HAD A READ DISC ERROR ON HIS PS3, I SWAPPED OUT THE BLU RAY DRIVE AND IT DIDNT HELP FIX THE PROBLEM

The only ppl that know how to fix it is SONY, If u find a way though let me know

Currently Own: 160 GB PS3
Games I Own: GTA4,StreetFighter 4,Killzone2,Uncharted1&2
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 57 (64 Views)
0 Likes