Dec 27 2008
By: Shigutso-BRA First Son 4 posts

PS1 games region-free for PS3?

8 replies 5598 views Edited Dec 27, 2008
Is there any way to do that?
I really want to play my genuine Megaman X4 (USA) on my Asian PS3, but it keeps saying:

"This disc cannot be started due to region restrictions."

Any way to play this game? Using swap-disc, maybe? Any clue?
Thanks...!

----------
My PS3 Games: Burnout Paradise, Dark Sector, Devil May Cry 4, Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars, FaceBreaker, Mega Man 9, PAIN, Race Driver: GRID, Resistance 2, Soulcalibur IV, Super Stardust HD, The Orange Box, Unreal Tournament III, Valkyria Chronicles.
Message 1 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Re: PS1 games region-free for PS3?

Dec 27, 2008

Ps3 games are not region locked, and will play on all systems.

PS2, and PS1 games are region locked, so the hardware and/or software needs to be coded for said region in the PS3 in order for the PS1/2 game to play on your PS3.

In other words, you need a reqion 1 PS3 to play region 1 PS1/2 games.

Message 2 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 27, 2008
I think PS3 is software locked... but ok, thanks for the info... maybe someday someone will be able to do that.

----------
My PS3 Games: Burnout Paradise, Dark Sector, Devil May Cry 4, Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars, FaceBreaker, Mega Man 9, PAIN, Race Driver: GRID, Resistance 2, Soulcalibur IV, Super Stardust HD, The Orange Box, Unreal Tournament III, Valkyria Chronicles.
Message 3 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Dec 27, 2008
ps1 physical media is region locked. ps1 games from the ps store are not region locked. if you were to get a playstation card from japan, and bought a ps1 game from the japanese ps store, you could play it on a US ps3.
Message 4 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Dec 27, 2008

Sudoh wrote:
ps1 physical media is region locked. ps1 games from the ps store are not region locked. if you were to get a playstation card from japan, and bought a ps1 game from the japanese ps store, you could play it on a US ps3.

you could create a US PSN account, and access the US Playstation store, and use US PSN card (or your bank card, credit card, etc) and buy the games in english

the PSN account and store are based on where you live, not where the playstation3 came from

Message 5 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Dec 27, 2008

PS3 games are region free

everything else is region locked

Photobucket
Message 6 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Dec 27, 2008

Kaivarri wrote:

Sudoh wrote:

you could create a US PSN account, and access the US Playstation store, and use US PSN card (or your bank card, credit card, etc) and buy the games in english

the PSN account and store are based on where you live, not where the playstation3 came from

ummm yes, i know that

did you know that a US ps3 cannot play a Japanese PS1 cd based game, BUT if you purchased that same game from the Japanese ps store and downloaded it, it will work on your US ps3? that is the point i was making. since the op has an asian ps3, if the megaman game were to ever be offered for sale on the us ps store, he would be able to play the game.

Message 7 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9575 posts

Dec 27, 2008

Sudoh wrote:

Kaivarri wrote:

Sudoh wrote:

ummm yes, i know that

did you know that a US ps3 cannot play a Japanese PS1 cd based game, BUT if you purchased that same game from the Japanese ps store and downloaded it, it will work on your US ps3? that is the point i was making. since the op has an asian ps3, if the megaman game were to ever be offered for sale on the us ps store, he would be able to play the game.

But he would have to pay to play a game already owns

Photobucket
Message 8 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2719 posts

Dec 28, 2008

Shigutso-BRA wrote:
Is there any way to do that?
I really want to play my genuine Megaman X4 (USA) on my Asian PS3, but it keeps saying:

"This disc cannot be started due to region restrictions."

Any way to play this game? Using swap-disc, maybe? Any clue?
Thanks...!

No, there is no way to get around the region lock of PS1/PS2 games
Message 9 of 9 (5,598 Views)
0 Likes