Uncharted Territory
1943 posts

Re: Overpriced and underwhelming console.

Jul 12, 2008

I first bought the PS3 as both a blu-ray player and a game system, but now it is only a gaming system to me and my primary gaming system, at that (I have all 3 consoles).

At first I was underwhelmed when I bought it.  I had paid $600 for 1 game (RFoM), in fact I was very close to returning it.  I only had RFoM for the first 6 months of ownership, and at that point I really didn't care about Blu-ray and was using the other box for my gaming needs.  However my other box succumbed to the rrod twice which completely pissed me off (and to top it all off the replacement has a crappy disc tray which is getting worse).  

The turning point is when I bought CoD4 for the PS3 and turned to the other console for halo and GH3, but spent WAY more time on CoD4 (for fear of the rrod).  By doing that I had convinced my friend to get the PS3 and he convinced his friend to do the same.  My other friend constantly bashed me for making this move and hated the PS3.  But I knew he would change his mind around MGS4 launch.  And sure enough I was right.  He bought the MGS4 bundle the day of launch and now spends at least a few hours a day on it.

The moral of the story?  Never judge something by first impressions and give it time.  The PS3 sucked at first but now is a strong console with very good features (only referring gaming wise here).  IMO at this point, I got my $600 worth and more.  IMO it pisses me off when some on gets the PS3 for its media features rather than gaming features.   

Message 41 of 87 (6 Views)
Splicer
65 posts

Jul 12, 2008
i paid $600 for my 60 gig.  i got a blu ray player and a gaming console.  for me it was a better alternative at that time since all stand alone blu ray players were at least $600.
Message 42 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Jul 12, 2008

ndfan103 wrote:
ok first of all the ps3 is deff NOT priced u are getting an incredible deal, a blu-ray player alone cost 400 so already you are getting your moneys worth. the PS3 is truly an entertainment powerhouse. There is also alot of potential to be discovered on the ps3. Also MGS4 got a 10 out of 10 by GameInformer which is rare and hard to get. So for u you to say the PS3 sucks gaming isn't obviously for u.

wow bluray so what????? i mean they went with bluray the disc that has a very large capacity but yet we still have to install games.....why? you ask ...well the first person with the correct answer gets a cookie

Message 43 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
795 posts

Jul 12, 2008

ndfan103 wrote:
ok first of all the ps3 is deff NOT priced u are getting an incredible deal, a blu-ray player alone cost 400 so already you are getting your moneys worth. the PS3 is truly an entertainment powerhouse. There is also alot of potential to be discovered on the ps3. Also MGS4 got a 10 out of 10 by GameInformer which is rare and hard to get. So for u you to say the PS3 sucks gaming isn't obviously for u.

He is talking about Gaming though. Not so much the specs. MGS4 is a great game. I truely enjoy it. Not everyone has the same viewpoints though so your going to get a few people who tend not to like certain qualities of the PS3. I for one think the machine is freakin sweet, but I do agree with the lack of games. Like I said before SOCOM will cure everyones whining. STOP WHINING@!!

ImpactHK
Message 44 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7781 posts

Jul 12, 2008

Longbombs321 wrote:
I'm not a fan-boy of one specific console manufacturer nor any specific game developer. I'm simply of fan of gaming in general. And I don't care what anyone else says, IMO the PS3 is way over-priced and very underwhelming when it comes to GAMING. Having played through the most over-hyped game in history: MGS4, I must say that I overpaid for what I am getting out of the PS3. To claim "but the system and games have potential" is essentially saying "we admit the current crop is bad". Anyone else feel they over-paid for the PS3?
Message Edited by Longbombs321 on 07-11-2008 08:02 PM

Until you understand the possibilities and current capabilities of the Sony Playstation 3, you should avoid from creating threads concerning price, because in fact, it is very cheap when considering the cost of the components that are compared on the market today.  When the Playstation 3 launched and almost to this day, it is still one of the cheapest "high-quality" Blu-ray players on the shelf.  If you are a fan of gaming in general, you should probably look into other options that suit you.  I'd also suggest a course on Economics, any highschool level of Economics would do.  It will teach you principles of inflation, and supply and demand that we are experiencing.

Message 45 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
795 posts

Jul 12, 2008

ikill4fun360 wrote:

ndfan103 wrote:

wow bluray so what????? i mean they went with bluray the disc that has a very large capacity but yet we still have to install games.....why? you ask ...well the first person with the correct answer gets a cookie

LOAD TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!
ImpactHK
Message 46 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6516 posts

Jul 12, 2008
i paid over 1.500 dollars for my 3 ps3s and they we're worth the money to buy,than i bought a sony blu ray player just to have one.
black spidey
Message 47 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jul 12, 2008
Well the Wii is for kids and um girls and I had a 360 and after sending it back for the second time for RROD I thought I would get a PS3. Its been worth every penny since!
Message 48 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
795 posts

Jul 12, 2008

If people are so worried about the PS3 being a "Failure" or not living up to the standards they think it needs to be then this is a lesson for you. With Blu-Ray being a newer technology it takes time to push games out. I honestly want to know the price of developing a game onto a BR compared to a DVD. Seriously anyone know how much more this costs developers. I would honestly be surprised if you said doesnt cost them anything additional.

ImpactHK
Message 49 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Jul 12, 2008

Impact wrote:

ikill4fun360 wrote:

ndfan103 wrote:

LOAD TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!

AND THE SURVEY SAYSSSSSS...........WRONGGGGGGGGG

we have to install because the lack of ram the ps3 has but see im sure alot of you wont buy that

Message 50 of 87 (6 Views)
0 Likes