Jan 15 2011
By: WnderWman First Son 1 posts

Netflix App Interface w/ PS3 Slim

6 replies 308 views Edited Jan 15, 2011

We have two Netflix ready devices on our account, one Roku and one PS3 slim. Netflix recently made thier application avaliable for download so you did not have to use thier disk. I downloaded the application, as soon as I started Netflix and saw the new interface I didn't like it. Half my picture is cut off and the interaction with the interface ti horrible. It looks just like the interface for the Roku. Well I recently went and visited my sister in GA and she also had a PS3, but the first gen. Her interface with Netflix is completely different, so when I returned home I tried to find out why my interface looks completely. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I tried to deactivate the device hopeing if I activated it with the new app it would fix the interface, but now with the nw app it doesn't even ask me to activate the device. Long story short I need some help, does anyone else have the problem, didnt' know if it had anything to do with having the Roku on the same account or not.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Re: Netflix App Interface w/ PS3 Slim

Jan 15, 2011

I am experiencing the same thing....before the last update (I think in October?) my netflix menu was great....easy to get around with full screens of titles under each genre.  Since then it looks more like the mobile app menu...very simplified, only 4 titles below each genre and you have to scroll across to look at each movie separately???  There is no option to go to "full screen" mode for each of the genres, no more recommondations page...etc. etc etc...

In short, the new menu is brutal.

So I called Netflix, they pleasantly informed me that they have had many calls regarding this issue but sadly there was nothing they could do.  They said Sony caused the problem and only Sony could fix it.  Please wait until next O/S system update.

Next I called Sony,  they seemed less aware of the issue and one woman actually tried to convince me it wasnt that bad, you just had to "get to know how to use it", lol.  She had basically no answers and said hopefully the next update would fix it.

So, for me anyway, this is enough to cause me to cancel my subscription.  I have been patiently waiting for Netflix to release a movie, post 1994, (in Canada anyway).  But I wont torture myself struggling to find one good movie out of 500 bad ones on a menu that looks like it was designed for my iPhone...no wait....most of my interface menus on my iPhone are much more useful than this.

Hope you had better luck than I.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
559 posts

Jan 15, 2011

Why all the drama Blooper? Netflix front ends are pretty poor across many devices. Why not use your regular browers to search and add what you want to your lists, which will then be presented as top items in the Netflix application itself? It's a lot quicker that using rubbish remotes when a keyboard and mouse is always going to be significantly faster.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jan 15, 2011

I suppose I could use my laptop browser to select what I want and then either stream it from my laptop to my tv or access favorites on the PS3, but the reason for all the "drama" is that I would prefer to use my PS3 and the previous menu was fine for that.  Having the convenience of using my PS3 only is, after all, the reason Sony has marketed Netflix use and the slogan "it only does everything".

The real problem is that each company tells me that its the others problem and there is nothing they can do...but keep sending your money please.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Jan 15, 2011

i have a slim and have no issues with my netlfix

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jan 15, 2011

There isnt actually anything "wrong" with it....just that they changed the interface menu and it sucks.  There are a few threads here with people discussing the change, and how it differs in different areas.  I googled the change to see if I was going crazy or to see if it was a hardware issue and found out there are lots of complaints...so I confirmed its not a hardware issue, still debatable if I'm crazy though.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Feb 5, 2011

I too hate this new layout, it sucks beyond all belief.  I want the old layout back and if I don't get it I will be cancelling my subscription.  If Netflix can't control their layout on differing devices they are idiots who don't get that people don't like changes to a service they are paying for.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (308 Views)
0 Likes