Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 02 2010
By: CaptinBigAl Lombax Warrior 120 posts

My PS3 wont start and it has a yellow light what does that mean?

4 replies 3954 views Edited Apr 2, 2010

I think its called the YLOD (yellow light of death??) what excatly does that mean??? Is my PS3 broken beyond repair or is there a way to fix it? Does anyone know why i got the YLOD and is there a way to prevent it??

Message 1 of 5 (3,954 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
230 posts

Re: My PS3 wont start and it has a yellow light what does that mean?

Apr 2, 2010
Use the search button.
xSiC6SiXx
Message 2 of 5 (3,954 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Apr 2, 2010

Well i have personally been through that myself with my 60 gig last june i got the dreaded ylod, sent my ps3 back to sony got a 60 refurb, the blu ray player died in that one in dec 09 got the same unit back new blu ray player, sooooo to answer your question if there is anything u can do yes and no, keep it well ventilated, keep vents vaccumed out religously, and then pray because the rest is up to craftsmanship and quality, most likely its thermal paste going bad, but it could be other things also. so your two options are call sony and get it sent to them, or you can do 3rd party like "gophermods.com" who will fix it for 70 dollars minus shipping to them. hope this helps.

http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/mgc2372/?action=view&current=YLOD.jpg
Message 3 of 5 (3,954 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Apr 2, 2010

thank you so much

Message 4 of 5 (3,954 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7522 posts

Apr 2, 2010

YLOD = General Hardware Failure.

Nothing specific causes it. It can be cause by anything being broken inside the console. The cause can vary from a shortciruit to your power supply to the CPU dying to you hitting it with a sledge hammer.

In a lot of cases (old phat models) it was the thermal paste. As I hear, in the beginning they went with a cheap paste to reduce production costs, while in the new ones they started using something more expensive.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 5 (3,954 Views)
0 Likes