Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 22 2008
By: Mish796 Uncharted Territory 1605 posts

Keyboard & Mouse Support for PS3***REVIEW***

61 replies 314 views Edited Feb 22, 2008

Greetings PS community. 

Since the release of the PS3 there has always been the question "Can I play FPS games on the PS3 with a keyboard and mouse?"  Well I am happy to say yes, yes you can.

Recently XCM released the XPS Rateup Adapter for the PS3 on 1/28/08.  I have always preferred a mouse and keyboard to a controller so this product interested me.  I could not find any reviews on it but I ended up buying it anyway.  Now that I have had a few days to use it I thought I would write up my own review.

XCM released a similar product for the other box which did not do so well.  The main complaint was that when precision aiming was required your crosshairs would jerk on the screen and movement with the mouse was not fluid and smooth.  XCM got the message and added 2 extra wheels with 16 levels of adjustment for X and Y sensitivity.

SETUP

The setup time for this device wasn't too bad.  It took me about 30 minutes to map my controller buttons and analog sticks to my keyboard.  The device comes with a default config which has your forward, backward, strafe left, and strafe right movement mapped to the W, Z, A, and S keys.  Your right analog stick is then defaulted to your mouse.  None of the buttons on the controller were defaulted to keys on the keyboard so I had to set those up on my own.  I also actually prefer to use the arrow keys on my keyboard instead of the W, Z, A, and S keys.  Programming the device is as simple as pressing the program button on the XCM then tapping the button you would like to program on the controller and then press the key on the keyboard you want to map it to. 

I will say I had trouble mapping the left analog stick to my arrow keys on the keyboard.  I actually thought the device I was sent was faulty except on the fourth try it suddenly worked.  I would also like to point out that I could not map my L2 and R2 buttons.  I am not sure why they won't map but I have a few other tricks I am going to try. 

Another con for this device is the cord length.  In order to use the device you have to plug it into your PS3 and then plug your controller, keyboard, and mouse into it.  I hope you have a long keyboard and mouse cord because if you don't you will need to be close to your PS3.  The short cord also was a pain during setup because I needed to be right next to the device in order to press the program key to do the mapping. 

Another complaint I have for this device is the way the device stores your custom setup or maybe I should say your one custom setup.  That's right; you can only store one custom setup on this device so I hope you plan on playing one game for an extended period of time.  This could possibly be a pain if you want to have custom keyboard and mouse setups for each of your FPS games.

The last con for this device is the price.  The price range is from $88 - $100 plus shipping and handling.  I guess the price is not to bad considering XCM claims you can use it with any FPS game but it still takes a nice chunk of change out of your wallet.

PLAY TIME

The two games I used the XCM Rateup on were Call of Duty 4 and RFOM. 

The device worked superbly for RFOM and the 2 extra wheels for sensitivity adjustment worked perfectly. 

The device worked well for COD 4 as well.  The movement of my character in game was smooth and fluid and I had no problems dropping enemies from a distance using my mouse.  The only issue I had was for some reason I could not map my L2 and R2 buttons for COD 4.  In COD 4 the R2 and L2 are your grenades so that kind of sucked.  I am still working on this though and have a few more tricks to try.  Also I should point out that I had the controller in my lap so if I wanted to throw a grenade I simply picked up the controller maneuvered my character into position and threw the grenade.

SUMMARY

Pros

• Keyboard and mouse support for the PS3... hell yeah!!
  • Compatible with all PS3 games
  • Compatible with all versions of PS 3 (NTSC/US , PAL, NTSC/**bleep**)
  • Can map the controller button keys to any key of the Keyboard
  • Compatible with 95% of different kinds of mouse and Keyboard.
  • High sensitivity, precision and smoothness.
  • Can adjust the mouse sensitivity from 2 extra wheels with 16 levels of adjustment for X and Y sensitivity to adapt perfectly to every mouse.
  • Built in Turbo (Auto Fire) functionality. Independent Auto fire buttons: Eight customizable auto-fire buttons  (no soldering required)
  • Ease of use; just use the original PS3 controller to re-map itself to the keyboard.
  • Both controller analog stick keys can also be mapped to the keyboard.

Cons

• You can only store one customized keyboard and mouse setup on the device.  If you play multiple games during your gaming sessions then you are going to have to do a lot of remapping.
  • Short cord on device (only 3 ft).
  • Price ($88 - $100 + shipping)

All in all I give this device an 8/10.  Once you have the device mapped it works very well.

Thanks for reading!!!

Message Edited by Mish7996 on 02-21-2008 11:32 AM

Message Edited by Mish7996 on 02-22-2008 07:50 AM
Message 16 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4789 posts

Re: Keyboard & Mouse Support for PS3***REVIEW***

Feb 21, 2008
The "only 3 feet" is a deal breaker for me. Much too short.
jaymc account
Message 1 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14796 posts

Feb 21, 2008
nice review
Message 2 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9446 posts

Feb 21, 2008

jaymc wrote:
The "only 3 feet" is a deal breaker for me. Much too short.

But typically your KB/Mouse cord should be about 3-6 ft long. Thats almost 10ft. Extenders are only about 5$.
Message 3 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3421 posts

Feb 21, 2008
nice review man, but i suck with a keyboard and mouse.
Message 4 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Feb 21, 2008
I'm not even interested in the product and I still enjoyed the review.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 5 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

Feb 21, 2008
Thanks for the compliments.

I know when I went to buy it I was a little hesitant because it is so much money and I couldn't find a review but I love gaming with a keyboard and mouse.  I just hope this helps someone with their decision.

Message Edited by Mish7996 on 02-21-2008 11:36 AM
Message 6 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1605 posts

Feb 21, 2008

SoDev wrote:

Wow, thanks.

I usually suck at writing but hey I am at work and wanted something to do other than work.
Message 7 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Feb 21, 2008
Yea very well done man. Good job.

You will have to keep us updated on the L2 and R2 button issue.
AceK47 Sig

"Monkeys make up about 80% of the monkey population"
Message 8 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
876 posts

Feb 21, 2008

Mish7996 wrote:

SoDev wrote:

Wow, thanks.

I usually suck at writing but hey I am at work and wanted something to do other than work.

You kept it to the point and layed it out nicely. I actually thought it was copied from a website until I read it.

So what are you reviewing next? There are a lot more work days. :robotwink:
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 9 of 62 (314 Views)
0 Likes