Sep 01 2009
By: CaStFuLLdayS First Son 31 posts

--- Job as a PS3 game tester

20 replies 5107 views Edited Sep 1, 2009

I've browsed around the web for some time now and I haven't quite found an answer that satisfies with me.

I know Sony doesn't have a position as a game tester right now, which is my ideal position.

Before we start, I'm not looking at becoming a game tester as a full time job.  I plan to work in the medical field and going to a 4-year college, then going for masters and hopefully Ph.d.  I enjoy playing video games and can easily use up my hours playing video games.  Next year, I will be going to college and living on campus.  I was wondering if I was able to find a notable company (say, Sony?) to "work" for as a game tester for PS3 games while in college.  Seeing that playing video games is a hobby for me, I wouldn't mind getting paid to do it if it's in a relaxed environment.  I know that you have to note out the bugs and stuff like that, but I don't find that to be difficult to work with considering that I practically play video games everyday.

Am I getting the whole jist of things as a game tester?  I'm not looking too seriously into it, but I have everything that fits the bill besides the age.  Oh, and these jobs can't be the actual office... I'd like to be testing games right from home.  Let me know if I'm making sense with this stuff.

Message 1 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
496 posts

Re: --- Job as a PS3 game tester

Sep 1, 2009

dont be a game tester or reviewer. you'll eventually get sick of games.

btw, im not sure if games testers exist 

http://www.almunecar.com/jokes/images/general/one_glass.jpg
Message 2 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1463 posts

Sep 1, 2009

no company will let you test games from home, for obvious reasons as you'd have early access to a lot of different information and code

sorry to crush your dreams and all

Message 3 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
370 posts

Sep 1, 2009
they exist but only as part time positions and they DONT pay that wel only like 16 dollars an hour. your guarenteed to lose the job within a year and you WILL come out hating video games!
Free Gamer Sigs from VideoGameSigs.com
Message 4 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9372 posts

Sep 1, 2009
Nope, you can't take any testing jobs at home. Anyway, there are a lot of studios out there looking for more testers. I don't mean to stop what you're trying to do, but testing jobs usually suck. The hours are often pretty rough. Quite often you'll find yourself playing the same level over and over and over again doing the same things each time. Good luck with your search though, try to find a game studio close to you
Message 5 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Sep 1, 2009

ps_account wrote:

dont be a game tester or reviewer. you'll eventually get sick of games.

btw, im not sure if games testers exist 

I actually do this kind of stuff, but not with video games.  This is not a hassle.  I actually enjoy reviewing things.
Message 6 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
966 posts

Sep 1, 2009
companys sometimes hire alpha testers for short periods of times (like a few months to a year) in part time jobs that dont pay well and it can only be done in thier offices. Good luck even finding the job.
Message 7 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Sep 1, 2009

UchihaStrife wrote:
they exist but only as part time positions and they DONT pay that wel only like 16 dollars an hour. your guarenteed to lose the job within a year and you WILL come out hating video games!

That wage quote is way off.  They're hired through staffing companies, very hard to get, minimum wage but lots of overtime.  

All I can say is GOOOOOOD LUCK finding a position in the game testing field...

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Message 8 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
31 posts

Sep 1, 2009

So what I'm getting is:

1. Can't test games from home (have to be in office)

2. Rough hours (how rough?  if it fits with my schedule, then not a problem)

3. Pay sucks (which I don't mind considering I won't be doing this as a full-time job)

4. Tired of video games after all of this (for you, perhaps)

If #1 is definitely true, then this "job" is out. 

Message 9 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
966 posts

Sep 1, 2009

CaStFuLLdayS wrote:

So what I'm getting is:

1. Can't test games from home (have to be in office)

2. Rough hours (how rough?  if it fits with my schedule, then not a problem)

3. Pay sucks (which I don't mind considering I won't be doing this as a full-time job)

4. Tired of video games after all of this (for you, perhaps)

If #1 is definitely true, then this "job" is out. 

It is. if they were going to send out alpha versions of games they could get people to do it for free. And theres erious sequrity issues then.
Message Edited by that_emo_kid on 08-31-2009 05:32 PM
Message 10 of 21 (5,107 Views)
0 Likes