Jul 14 2009
By: MaNx_xDoWn Monster Hunter 42 posts

How to hook up Computer 5.1 Headset To ps3

11 replies 718 views Edited Jul 14, 2009

Hello can any one help me im trying to hook my Computer headset to a ps3 the headset is 5.1 so it has 3 different audio 3.5mm jacks headset

Now the usb cord is for the power and the Pink one is for the mic i have  a sound card to make that work but how do i get audio since the ps3 cant play music through usb? and the only way to get 5.1 from the system is to have it connected through optical or hdmi any thoughts on how to make this work? Maybe a splitter? I dont know the names 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
689 posts

Re: How to hook up Computer 5.1 Headset To ps3

Jul 14, 2009

I'm not the most technical person to ask but do not think this will work as the connections are for a PC sound card.  At best, you may  be able to use a splitter/adapter to connect to the red and white output jacks on the PS3 but that will only give you stereo.   Personnaly, I run optical to my tuner/amp and when the spouse complains to much I connect headphones to the tuner/amp but still only get stereo.

Good luck if you can find some way to get this to work.

Gray hair is a crown of spendor; it is attained by a rightous life.
Games: F1, Eye of Judgement, BFBC2, Sports Active 2, Shift 2 Unleashed, BF3. Games on order:
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jul 14, 2009

yea i know im trying to get 5.1 i have a stereo headset turtle beach and it is connected like this setup

all i Need is a adapter/ converter that hooks up 3 5.1 audio 3.5mm jacks to convert to Digital optical or hdmi because i cant connect rca plugs and get 5.1 out of the headset ... I also use hdmi for television but theres a adapter i can use to split it to have 2 hooked on

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 14, 2009

There are no cables or adapters to convert a digital or digital optical signal into an analog one.

You will need to find an actual converter that does the job.  There is no way around it.  Even a sound system that accepts digital optical as an input, and just hook the headphones directly to the speaker outputs of the sound system.

Is that your PS3 in the pic?  Or did you just get that off the Internet?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Jul 14, 2009

@MaNx_xDoWn

Hey dude, sorry I cannot provide an answer to your question. But I noticed in the pic that your PS3 is pushed almost flush with a piece of furniture cutting off the entire left-side vents. If you want to avoid possible overheating issues I really suggest you move your system to another location or stand it up vertically.  

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 14, 2009

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

@MaNx_xDoWn

Hey dude, sorry I cannot provide an answer to your question. But I noticed in the pic that your PS3 is pushed almost flush with a piece of furniture cutting off the entire left-side vents. If you want to avoid possible overheating issues I really suggest you move your system to another location or stand it up vertically.  

Yeah, this is the same reason I asked if it was yours (MaNx_xDoWn) or if you got it off the Internet.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jul 14, 2009
yea thats mine i bought a intercooler and the back doesnt fit i just have the right side on and the back off but i rigged it and its running on its own power.... but thats my set up for my stereo headset turtle beach x1... i want to purchase a new mic it's 5.1 with 3 cords like the 1st pic i need to transfer it to optical and u can do this tritton has the sound card but im trying to limit my $$ if i was to only find a cheap plug  that makes the 3 plugs change to optical do u guys understand?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jul 14, 2009

MaNx_xDoWn wrote:
yea thats mine i bought a intercooler and the back doesnt fit i just have the right side on and the back off but i rigged it and its running on its own power.... but thats my set up for my stereo headset turtle beach x1... i want to purchase a new mic it's 5.1 with 3 cords like the 1st pic i need to transfer it to optical and u can do this tritton has the sound card but im trying to limit my $$ if i was to only find a cheap plug  that makes the 3 plugs change to optical do u guys understand?

I understand, but like I said, you cannot buy a cable or adapter.  You need an actual converter, and it's going to cost.

You can look for a converter, or a sound system, or even a PC that has an optical input and the 5.1 output jacks.  Hook the PS3 to the sound or PC optical input, and the headphones to the 5.1 output jacks.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jul 14, 2009
aww man yea i might as well just buy the trittons im trying to save $ its still recession over here lol... i had a new pair of razers Retail $149 couldve gotten for $40 5.1 surround sound man im hurt
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jul 14, 2009
i think i found a sound card but im not sure i dont understand the input n output part http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=873&product=17751&nav=1    here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nn7z3BaEZs it has the 3 3.5mm jacks and i think it converts it into rca and optical im not sure help
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (718 Views)
0 Likes