Mar 26 2008
By: DRod13 First Son 4 posts

How to get game saves off my old PS3 HDD???

9 replies 992 views Edited Mar 26, 2008
Ok so I finally did it. I upgraded my PS3's HDD to a 160 gig. Everything is working perfectly except one thing. The cheapo that I am, I did not want to invest in an external HD to save my game saves before doing the upgrade. And thought that I could just purchase a cheap, driverless, external hard drive enclosure, install my old 40 gig HD and plug it into my PS3 via USB, to transfer all my gave saves on to my new hard drive. Well, I've done all of that and when I plug in my homemade external drive, my PS doesn't pick it up. The power light on the external drive lights up, showing that it is getting power, and I can even feel the drive spinning. Also, the little dot on the top right hand corner shows up, like the PS is trying to find it, but when I go to media--photos, movies, music, it doesn't show the drive. I also clicked on the find media servers and nada. Anyone know if I am doing something wrong or if there is no way of retrieving my info, and I'm just going to have to buy some type of portable media, pull out my new hdd, pop in the new one and then store my game saves on the portable. And finally do the upgrade all over again? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12748 posts

Re: How to get game saves off my old PS3 HDD???

Mar 26, 2008

DRod13 wrote:
Ok so I finally did it. I upgraded my PS3's HDD to a 160 gig. Everything is working perfectly except one thing. The cheapo that I am, I did not want to invest in an external HD to save my game saves before doing the upgrade. And thought that I could just purchase a cheap, driverless, external hard drive enclosure, install my old 40 gig HD and plug it into my PS3 via USB, to transfer all my gave saves on to my new hard drive. Well, I've done all of that and when I plug in my homemade external drive, my PS doesn't pick it up. The power light on the external drive lights up, showing that it is getting power, and I can even feel the drive spinning. Also, the little dot on the top right hand corner shows up, like the PS is trying to find it, but when I go to media--photos, movies, music, it doesn't show the drive. I also clicked on the find media servers and nada. Anyone know if I am doing something wrong or if there is no way of retrieving my info, and I'm just going to have to buy some type of portable media, pull out my new hdd, pop in the new one and then store my game saves on the portable. And finally do the upgrade all over again? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The thing you did wrong was not backing up before you upgrade. There is no way to put your 40GB HDD into an enclosure and taking the info off that. And if you try putting the HDD back into your PS3, it will probably ask for it to be reformatted.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Mar 26, 2008

YeaI put my old 60gig in an enclosure but doesn't pick it up as needs reformatted, so attached to PC and reformatted and all ok now - but you won't be able to get your game saves etc.

I used my WD 160gb external harddrive to back everything up 1st before putting in my 250gb. 

Remember if you plan on using it with your PS3 you need it formatted to FAT32

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10210 posts

Mar 26, 2008
Gotta backup BEFORE doing stuff.... that goes for anything.

Give me Kudos, or give me death!
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5540 posts

Mar 26, 2008

You need to followe these steps:

- Put your original HDD back in the PS3 (I hope you didn't do antything to it, yet!!)

- Put the new HDD in the usb case

- Format the new HDD with FAT32 from a PC 

- Attach the external HDD to the PS3

- Boot the PS3

- Do a backup from "system settings" in the XMB 

- Manual copy, one-by-one (I know, this is just pathetic. I don't understand why Sony doesn't let us copy the entire saves folder) in the external HDD (just to be safe)

- Attach the external HDD to a PC.

- Copy the \PS3 folder into a temp area in the PC (you'll get both backup and save files stored in the PC)

- Swap the  two HDD (I don't know if you have to format the new HDD) 

- Put the old HDD in the USB case 

- Format the USB (old) HDD <--- beware: at this point you lose everything in it.

- Put the previously stored PS3 content in the root directory of the USB HDD

- Attach the USB HDD to the PS3

- Attempt from "Sistem Settings" to do a restore. 

- If that doesn't work go to Game-> Saved data utility and copy back all save files.

You are all done. 

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 26, 2008

Sweet... Thanks guys. I'll try that when I get home. One thing though. I started playing my games with the new HD and have some game saves on there. How can I back that stuff up and save it so I can transfer that as well?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10210 posts

Mar 26, 2008

DRod13 wrote:

Sweet... Thanks guys. I'll try that when I get home. One thing though. I started playing my games with the new HD and have some game saves on there. How can I back that stuff up and save it so I can transfer that as well?

Back up the game saves before you move that also... do you have a USB flash drive you could use?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 26, 2008

No I don't but I can get one. Does it have to be anything special to work with the PS3? Or can I just buy anyone?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10210 posts

Mar 26, 2008

DRod13 wrote:

No I don't but I can get one. Does it have to be anything special to work with the PS3? Or can I just buy anyone?

Just about most of em should work fine.  Game saves usually aren't big files, so just be sure you have enough space and such for your backup.  When you get it, come back here and check this faq out for help

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5540 posts

Mar 26, 2008

DRod13 wrote:

Well, listen. Just buy one and format it as a FAT32 hdd. Then you can skip many steps. Do a copy of your saves in the USB pendrive, swap the HDD, copy the old game saves into the Pendrive again. Then, once you put the new hdd back in the PS3 you can restore the game saves you like. 

You will lose any download content you had, but who cares. You can download them again from your PSN library. 
----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 10 (992 Views)
0 Likes