Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 12 2011
By: ChrisPyS3 First Son 3 posts

How long does it take to get a working replacement PS3 from Sony?

7 replies 2087 views Edited Jul 12, 2011

Got the PS3 bundle with Metal Gear Solid 4 been out of warranty for a couple months

Got the red screen of death

Called Sony referb unit costs $99.00 fair enough wait 4 days for shipping box

Send box to Texas via Fedex Ground (btw Fedex Ground not not good more on this later)

4 days back to Texas Fedex Ground confirms shipment received at Sony. (horray)

Go to Sony website check on status......not received

Call Sony 4 days later gently complain

System magically goes out next day.

4 days back to NY no one home door tag (sigh)

Make wife stay home monday sign for package play Monday night!

Alas Fedex Ground does not knock hard enough leave another door tag! (wife not happy husband not happy Fedex Ground driver FAIL!)

Leave work early goto Fedex facility get my box off the truck take home.

Open box system looks great nice and shiny.

Hook everything up.....check

Setup display resolution.....check

Set date and time....check

Set user.....OOPS system broken again it has a bad FAN! (btw case is really hot and burning smell from back of system nice touch)

Call Sony angrily complain.

Here we go again

Talk to supervisor who offers a FREE GAME! REALLY! WOW! MAYBE YOU CAN SEND ME A SYSTEM TO PLAY IT ON!

Sorry Sony support can only read from the script they have been given and have no oway to actually solve a problem.

Anyone else have this happen to them and what happened ultimately?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: How long does it take to get a working replacement PS3 from Sony?

Jul 12, 2011

Lots of folks have had issues like that.

Lots others have not.

I have not had to deal with a PS3 issue myself, but I have dealt with PS2 repairs.  Those have all gone smoothly. 

I am in Texas their service center is just a few hours away.  Exchanges go quickly.

My friend sent his 60GB system in for a bad bluray drive just last month.  Called on a Monday, had box on Tuesday, received confirmation that Sony had his system on Thursday.  Friday they sent him email that they had his system.  Monday he received an e-mail and shipping that they had sent his system back.  Tuesday evening he had his system, new drive apparently, it was working just fine.

I could only hope if I have to send in a PS3 to Sony it goes so smoothly.  But then, I've never had trouble with the PS2 service repairs.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 12, 2011

I have no problem with electronice breaking it happens. I was not even that mad I lost all my game saves because I could not backup my 1st broken system before sending it back. (BTW anyone from Sony listening there is this company called Apple and they are storing a whole bunch of data in the cloud so that when their stuff breaks I dont loose all my work. Wouldn't it be great to be able to back up our systems to the sCloud and you could charge us for it whoopie!)

But I digress, at this point all I want to hear from Sony is "We are overnighting an actually confirmed working system." Instead I have to go through another month of shipping back and forth because thats the policy and its written in stone and no one has a mind to actually perform customer service. Thats exactly where Sony fails. I'm debating really hard now whether its just worth it to sell my games and not deal with this.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (2,087 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Jul 12, 2011

ChrisPyS3 wrote:

I have no problem with electronice breaking it happens. I was not even that mad I lost all my game saves because I could not backup my 1st broken system before sending it back. (BTW anyone from Sony listening there is this company called Apple and they are storing a whole bunch of data in the cloud so that when their stuff breaks I dont loose all my work. Wouldn't it be great to be able to back up our systems to the sCloud and you could charge us for it whoopie!)

But I digress, at this point all I want to hear from Sony is "We are overnighting an actually confirmed working system." Instead I have to go through another month of shipping back and forth because thats the policy and its written in stone and no one has a mind to actually perform customer service. Thats exactly where Sony fails. I'm debating really hard now whether its just worth it to sell my games and not deal with this.

Sony does this, it's part of a PlayStation Plus membership.  You can backup all of your gamesaves to the cloud anytime you wish, and restore them onto any other console.

As to the OP, I have sent a PS3 into Sony for repair/exchange twice, and both times had a repaired/refurbished system back in my home in ten days.  That's including time for the coffin to arrive at my home, shipping the PS3 to Texas, repair/exchange time, and return shipping to my home.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 12, 2011

Thanks for the heads up on Playstation Plus. Wish I knew about that before my system broke.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
155 posts

Jul 20, 2011

Professor, you had your system shipped twice to SONY? Was it the same system? Mine received the ylod, and I just shipped it back. But, after reading so many threads it looks like it's bound to happen again. Even the slim is plagued by the ylod.

PS3 80GB owner
PSN Aaxur
Dead Space. Fallout 3. GTA 4. Killzone 2. Metal Gear Solid 4. Soul Calibur 4. Wipeout HD.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Jul 20, 2011

Aaxur wrote:

Professor, you had your system shipped twice to SONY? Was it the same system? Mine received the ylod, and I just shipped it back. But, after reading so many threads it looks like it's bound to happen again. Even the slim is plagued by the ylod.

PS3 80GB owner
PSN Aaxur
Dead Space. Demon's Souls. Fallout 3. GTA 4. Killzone 2. Metal Gear Solid 4. Soul Calibur 4. Wipeout HD.

Twice, yes.  The first time was at about the 10 month mark, the Blu-Ray drive stopped reading discs. Sony replaced the Blu-Ray drive at no cost as a warranty repair.

The second time was about 18 months ago I think; my original system got the YLOD and I paid for an exchange.  The refurb I got back has been going strong since then with no problems.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 20, 2011

since they dont send you your original system back, and you get someone elses older/less taken care of system that was sent in for repairs, they are bound to have problems. if you new refurbished system works fine and is still going strong, then you are one of the lucky ones.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (2,087 Views)
0 Likes