Nov 01 2008
By: Otterbee Monster Hunter 38 posts

Help!! My PS3 has crashed and it won't boot up! :(

18 replies 987 views Edited Nov 1, 2008

Seriously. Here's my situation:

I have an original 60GB unit (purchased in Jan 2007) with firmware version 2.50, so I have the latest version of firmware.

I was playing LittleBigPlanet last night and turned the console off to watch TV. I typically will exit out of the game to the XMB and then shut down (using the controller). I noticed afterwards the console came back on! I looked to make sure I hadn't accidentally hit a button on a controller turning it back on (which I hadn't). I didn't go back to 'investigate'. Eventually, the console just turned off by itself sometime later. VERY STRANGE! (I don't know how much time later) But, whatever...I still didn't 'investigate' to check the state.

The next day (today) I went to turn it on and...nothing. The system comes on, but I never get to the Playstation 3 splash screen, nor does it make any audible sounds (meaning the PS3 "chime"). No picture, no XMB...nothing. I turn it off completely (in the back). Turn it back on, same thing - nothing. I can eject the disc and put the disc back in. I notice that I have the controller plugged in and the lights on it are exhibiting a 'slow flash' - all four of them in unison. When I unplug and try to "pair" it, it is unable to do so and basically turns off (meaning, the controller). I plug it back in and the four lights return to their 'slow flash'.

I am able to get to the "restore" menu by powering it down in the back and then back on; by holding down the power button on the front of the console, I get to the main screen which shows:

1. Restart System

2. Restore Default Settings

3. Restore File System

4. Rebuild Database

5. Restore PS3 System

6. System Update

(1) results in the same behavior

(2) may do something, but results in the same behavior

(3) indicates that it recognizes the file system is corrupted and (I'm guessing) attempts to fix it; however, the end result is the same behavior

(4) indicates that it wants to "wipe" the hard drive (or at least that I'll lose my data), which I don't want to do just yet...

(5) indicates that it's going to format the drive. Once again I don't want to do this just yet...

(6) I put the 2.50 firmware on a USB stick and follow the instructions to load it. It doesn't indicate that it's already on the console, so it attempts to update. It takes me through the motions after loading it, and then basically reboots - and then returns to the same, inoperable state.

At this point, I'm somewhat at a loss for what to try other than to replace the hard drive. I'm hesitant to wipe the drive if there might be some way to recover it. So, I'm going to try and pick up a new one tomorrow and install it and see if I can get the system back. I don't think I'll be able to though.

I'm obviously out of warranty, and I don't mind paying to have Sony fix it. But, (a) are they going to give me any hassles if I replace the hard drive myself? and (b) is there any way that I won't get my BC-capable unit back when I send it in for repair??

Please, if anyone has any suggestions at all...I'm open. Do you think formatting the drive might fix the problem? Also, if I do so, do I lose all of my trophies as well? Or is that information stored on the PSN servers? I kinda don't mind losing my game saves...but I would HATE to lose my trophies!!

Thanks very much for any suggestions you might have...

Otterbee

Message 1 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3033 posts

Re: Help!! My PS3 has crashed and it won't boot up! :(

Nov 1, 2008
  • It must have the original drive to be serviced by Sony. 
  • Make good note of your serial number. If they give you back a different model that you don't want call them up and demand a unit with your original serial number.
  • Foramtting can't hurt as a last resort, and all or your trophies are stored online.
I would go ahead and format it. That seems to be the only thing left that you can do within your power. If formatting doesn't work it's time for PS3 to go in for a service.

Fix your DS3/SixAxis-Boomer since 2,736

Message 2 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1024 posts

Nov 1, 2008
Number 4 doesn't delete anything from your hd. My ps3 did that on this update (2.50) and another one (that update w/ the infomation board feature)
Message Edited by darkhorse on 10-31-2008 10:12 PM
Message 3 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

Nov 1, 2008
one other thing you could try is shutting down properly and unplugging unit for a few minutes~might help, might not, won't hurt
Serenity is not the absence of conflict;
Serenity is the elimination of conflict.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
362 posts

Nov 1, 2008
maybe a ghost wants to play your ps3

Photobucket
Message 5 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5687 posts

Nov 1, 2008
Message 6 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Nov 1, 2008

Yeah, sorry I tried to thorough in my troubleshooting...and I guess I missed that I also did shut it down entirely and unplugged it. Also, I disconnected the network connection as well thinking that may have been mucking something up.

I think I'll take the advice of the others and hope that (4) truly doesn't delete the HD and all its contents. Other than that, I'll have to just ship it back and pay the $150 for repair.

Thanks for the responses!

Ott

Message 7 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 1, 2008

I also have an orginal 60GB unit with firmware version 2.50.  LBP...great game BTW...I'm completely addicted.  About 3 weeks ago I was attempting to load Wipeout HD and my machine froze.  I couldn't reset it, so I turned it off.  When I turned it back on, the following messages appeared:

The hard disk's database will be rebuilt.

An error occurred during the rebuild operation.  The hard disk must be formatted.  All data on the hard disk will be deleted during formatting.  Do you want to format? Yes/No

Unfortunately, I had to format and all of my data was wiped.  I set the system back up and downloaded all of my prior game purchases from the PS store.  Good news Otterbee:  all trophy info is maintained on the server (at least this was my experience).  However, all of my game save data was shot.  So, I bought an external HDD and performed the backup operation (took about 2 hrs and 25G) in case this happened again.

So, I'm playing Dead Space tonight (getting ready to take on the gnarly final boss in chapter 12) and when I perform a save operation, my machine freezes.  I'm thinking great, here we go again.  I could not quit out of the game.  I could not reset.  So, again I power it down.  Only this time, when I turn it back on, I get the initial audio tone with the visual wave (without any XMB).  I try to reset from this state to no avail, so I turn it off.  When I turn it back on I get a blank screen with no audio and this is where I'm stuck.  I also have the blinking lights on the controller when attempting to pair by pressing the PS button.  I can also insert and eject a disk and get the normal green operating and yellow pairing lights on the console.  I think my next step is to figure out if I can use my external HDD as the actual PS3 HDD...at least to get it back online, although I am concerned that I may have a permanently damaged HDD.

I would say that you should go ahead and format if you aren't too worried about losing your game saves.  From what I've read it sounds nearly impossible (and expensive) to extract data from a corrupted drive.  It's a bit of a drag not being able to continue favorite titles again at specific points with characters leveled up.  I'm most disappointed personally because I was almost done with the LBP campaign and I'd started building items and contraptions. 

I apologize for busting in on your issue, but it sounds like we have some mis-behavioral similarities.  I just hope mine isn't complete toast at this point.  I did a google search and someone provided a link to an electronic PS3 repair manual with a 60 day refund (I would rather drop $20 on this then $100-$200 for sending it in on a potentially easy fix).  If I end up getting this I will follow up to let you know if I think it is worth it.  Your issue seems to be a little more straightforward, but this manual also tells you how to do direct ipod file transfers, run linux, etc.  Good luck!

Message 8 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Nov 1, 2008

sounds like you got the YLOD "yellow light of death"

did u ever fix it? i dont rremember reading it in ur statment hah

Message 9 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Nov 1, 2008

Thanks much for the feedback Jefe....well, I took the advice and tried option (4) Rebuild Database, to no avail. I pretty much had the same behavior. I don't even get any sort of progress indicator that it's doing it!!

I'm going to just run out and buy a new drive tomorrow...and then replace it and see what happens. I am ticked that I lost all my game save data, but it's not the end of the world. Thank goodness I already finished Dead Space! LBP is not a big deal for me though...I was barely half way through the campaign, and I don't mind playing through those levels again. I can't really think of any other games that I'm concerned about immediately. Maybe some Civ:Rev game saves will be missed...hehe.

Based on your experience, it sounds like I may want to get the new drive anyway...since you had the same problem just a short time later. I will still research the possibility of getting all my save data off the old drive. I'm pretty computer-savvy so I have a slight glimmer of hope I'll be able to do it. I just don't know when I'm going to have the time to futz with it!

I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the new drive is going to work for me...at this point. I'll be happy if that works!

Ott

Message 10 of 19 (987 Views)
0 Likes