Jun 29 2010
By: teylix Uncharted Territory 1655 posts

HOWTO: Dualshock 3 Drivers for PC

25 replies 35056 views Edited Jun 29, 2010

Didn't see this but then again I have only been on the RPG general section lately

I've been emulating some games of mine lately (PSX mostly) and I've always enjoyed how the DS3 controller felt. However in order to use your sixaxis/ds3 controller on the PC, you had to go through a lot of hocus pocus and having to run the ps3sixaxen_en.exe file EVERYTIME you plug the controller in. and of course another bonus is that rumble is now supported.

well, NO LONGER!

What you will need:

- a PC (duh!)

- a dualshock 3 or sixaxis controller

- and last but not least, the drivers found here:  (Updated link: Dualshock 3 Drivers )

The steps:

1) Plug in your controller using the one that came with it as if you were going to charge it from your PC.

2) Extract the .zip file in a suitable location.

3) Go to My Computer then right click properties.

4) Select the Hardware tab then click the Device Manager button

5) Double-click the Human Interface Devices and you may see one or many USB Human Interface Devices

-If there are multiple, simply right click-> properties and it should say Location: Location 0 (Playstation Controller) or something to that effect. If not, try the next one!

6) Once you found the USB HID that says PS controller, right click->Update Driver. A HW update screen will show.

7) Click No, not at this time and hit next. 

8) Next option you will hit is: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced). Hit next.

9) Select Don't search. I will choose the driver to install.

10) Towards the bottom right will be a button saying, "Have Disk"... click on that.

11) Finally, go ahead and click Browse and go to the location you extracted the drivers. It should show you the dualshock3.inf file. 

12) Go ahead and select the dualshock3.inf file. Simply just keep clicking OK, Next, Continue Anyway, and then Finish.

13) edit: Now that you got ds3 installed and recognized, right click->install on the DUALSHOCK3FF.ini file from the ds3 ff driver folder you downloaded.

Now all you got to do is simply hit the PS button on the controller and you're good to go! Don't need libusb drivers... don't need to run ps3sixaxis_en anymore... just hit that PS button and rumble is all yours!

Feel free to delete the files youve downloaded. Theyre copied into your windows/system32 folder automatically.

I have verified this to work with rumble. You will see a DS3FF white icon in your taskbar when you open up a game. 

If you're curious, the taskbar icon has two options. The first one toggles rumble and the 2nd one will open up a menu. I don't recommend messing with the settings but you can change them to your fancy. The first value is amplification ratio, second value is minimum value to start rumbling, third and fourth values are min/max value of large motors i believe, and the last value is maximum value? No idea. 

Some disclaimers:

- No, this will not work wirelessly

- This does not work for 64bit OSes, I'm afraid.

- Doesn't work for Macs but then again you dont have any games to play on it anyways (lol).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I should be able to answer.

edit: Terribly sorry... I forgot about the steps to actually get vibration working. I updated the guide with appropriate edits.

edit2: My original link for the ds3 ff drivers was somehow deleted. I fixed it (only took me like a year!)

Message Edited by teylix on 08-05-2009 12:20 AM
Message Edited by teylix on 08-05-2009 12:25 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Re: HOWTO: Dualshock 3 Drivers for PC

Aug 5, 2009
nice closing line haha
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2858 posts

Aug 5, 2009

Well my computer sucks and can't play most PC games.  It can only play Combat Arms, which is ok.  I've been a console gamer since I was two.  I just can't play the PC shooters.  It hurts my wrist.  This should make Combat Arms more enjoyable.  Once I get a PS3 I'll download the drivers. 

So the controller will work with any computer game?  Can I make sprint L3?

Kudos!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2858 posts

Aug 5, 2009

teylix wrote:

KingDustero wrote:

Well my computer sucks and can't play most PC games.  It can only play Combat Arms, which is ok.  I've been a console gamer since I was two.  I just can't play the PC shooters.  It hurts my wrist.  This should make Combat Arms more enjoyable.  Once I get a PS3 I'll download the drivers. 

Kudos!

It will work "out-of-the-box" for any game that supports a controller/gamepad. Most games do so that should not be a problem.

However, if you find a game that doesnt support for a controller natively, then you will need a program that maps out the controller like a keyboard.

The program I use is called ControlMK. You can dl it from this link if you want: Control MK DL

What's also neat is you can use it as a keyboard and mouse setup just like browsing the internet on a PS3 except youre on your PC!

Ok thanks for the info!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1655 posts

Aug 5, 2009

KingDustero wrote:

Kudos!

It will work "out-of-the-box" for any game that supports a controller/gamepad. Most games do so that should not be a problem.

However, if you find a game that doesnt support for a controller natively, then you will need a program that maps out the controller like a keyboard.

The program I use is called ControlMK. You can dl it from this link if you want: Control MK DL

What's also neat is you can use it as a keyboard and mouse setup just like browsing the internet on a PS3 except youre on your PC! I'd only recommend using it though if your game doesnt support a controller in the first place. All emulation programs (NES, SNES, PSX, etc) will work automatically with it once you go to their controller config and hit all the corresponding buttons.

Message Edited by teylix on 08-04-2009 07:13 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2695 posts

Aug 5, 2009
When you press the PS button, will it turn on the PS3?

R:FOM/R2     U: DF/U2          Infamous           MGS4             GOW III             R&C:F                KZ 2

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4084 posts

Aug 5, 2009
The last time i downloaded it rumble wasn't supported, this is good.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3139 posts

Aug 5, 2009

STMaraj wrote:

yep, keep the PS3 shut off by the switch. also, I hate how the rumble doesn't work.

again... but at least I got my data off it and deactivated my accounts.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5654 posts

Aug 5, 2009

to me it is worthless to use the ps3 controller on pc because i like ps3 games and second i would prefer blutooth drivers not some crappy wired drivers

the playstation eye is a more worthy use for the pc because it has a great picture capture and frame rate if worked through well enough would make it a great use for a webcam and for ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1655 posts

Aug 5, 2009

STMaraj wrote:

No. Not if your controller is plugged into the PC already.

However if you unplug the controller then the PS3 will turn on. If you turn the comp off first then it wont turn the PS3 on.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 26 (35,056 Views)
0 Likes