Jan 10 2009
By: John0619v2 Uncharted Territory 1903 posts

GUIDE: How to keep your PLAYSTATION 3 healthy

231 replies 3549 views Edited Jan 10, 2009

64 Kudos! Thank you guys for all your help and support to this thread!

Temperature

the PLAYSTATION 3's "Safety and Support" manual clearly states that the PLAYSTATION 3 unit to operate within temperatures of 41F - 95F

• Do not place your PS3 too close to the wall
  • If your PS3 is placed on a closed space, place it atleast 4-6cm away from the walls
  • Usually you should not allow your PS3 to exeed 20-35F higher than the current room temperature
  • Place a thermometer on the wall just behind your PS3 to prevent it from reaching high temperatures
  • Many people have said that Vertical is Better or Horizontal is better, but actually this only depends on your PS3's possition try experimenting with it by adding a thermometer on the back and play a game on one possition for 30 minutes and record the temperature, then try it on the other possition and play a game for 30 minutes and record the temperature, which ever one has the lowest temperature is my best recommendation
  • If the system's internal temperature becomes elevated, the power indicator will flash alternately in red and green. In this case, turn the system off and leave it unused for a while. After the system cools down, move it to a location with better ventilation and then resume use. -viprdude
  • It seems the PS3 runs cooler when it is in it's horizontal position, PS3 Fanboy -

Overheat

When your PS3 encounters an overheat it usually turn's on and the power LED blinks 3 times or you will get a Yellow light blinking and then shuts down

• If your PS3 encounters an overheat (barely happens), put it somewhere where there's alot of airflow and away from any type of moisture. Also Windows are not recommended
  • One of the other causes of an overheat is enabling "Remote Start via Internet" while your PS3 is inside a closed cabinet, since the Remote Play system is not perfected (YET); the PS3 starts unintentionally if your PS3 is connected through some routers that are not 100% compatible with Remote Play/Remote Start. Good thing Sony made a feature which automaticlly shuts down your PS3 if it's not connected to a PSP within a few minutes (This is only bad for those PS3's who are not updated with the latest firmware releases, since the latest firmware has an auto-off when a PSP is not connected in a given time)

Preventing BD-Failures

BD Failures happen when you're using a scratched up disc or over playing ,

• I recommend not playing more than 3-4 hours at a time
  • Check your discs for anytype of smudges
  • Consider buying HDD titles sometimes to keep the usage 50-50
  • Everytime a you update your PS3 firmware, always test your BD drive by playing a movie or game by: -Shadow_Spawn-

Cleaning

I recommend cleaning your PS3 atleast once a week to prevent dust from comming in

• Use a low powered vaccum to suck out the dust out of the PS3's vents, remember to keep the vaccum atleast 2-3cm away from the PS3
  • If you using a can of air, use the tube straw and let it blow from 4-6cm away from the PS3 (make sure tube is in correctly as it may fire the tube a damade your PS3) (DO NOT Spray the can upside down as it will release a freezing moisture that may damage electronics)
  • If you're cleaning off the outside of your PS3 (Mainly the top and the chrome areas), use a microfibre cloth. The Playstation 3 is prone to scratch easily, typically a microfibre cloth will prevent this. NEVER use paper towels or any other paper based materieals. Including regular hand towels. - By: Rayvolution
  • Scratches can be removed with Turtle Wax (Guide here) By: Red-Blitz (*)

USB Burn-outs

Usually when USB ports "Burn out" it's usually from using a USB hub that's sucking more power than 1 port can handle

• Equipt your USB hub with it's external power, if it's handling more than 3 ports at the time
  • I recommend buying a USB 2.0 hub with external power so not too much power will be used from one of the USB ports from your PS3 (Remember, some USB Hubs DO NOT have external power)

Shut Down Correctly

Sometimes when users of the PS3 don't have a clue to shut it down correctly, they tend to get errors 

• The best way to probably shut down your PS3 is through the remote, hold the PS until you see "shut down system" and X on yes
  • The other was is to just push the touch sensitive pad on the PS3 until it beeps
  • NEVER SHUT DOWN FLIPPING THE SWITCH FROM THE BACK when it is on (solid green LED)!
  • When going to vacation, power off the PS3 CORRECTLY (as mentioned above) THEN flip the power switch on the back to insure no short-circuiting or Technical Problems Due to Electrical Storms by: xXCharlieXx and then unplug it just for added safety by: gtmartin69
  • When your PS3 EVER freezes, NEVER EVER shut down by flipping the switch on the back (as always) as that may cause you to get errors on your PS3, shut it down by holding down the power touch sensitive pad on the PS3 until it beeps a second time by: reveh 
  • During normal PS3 Operations, use a surge protector (any SP class should be good), As your region may face a flash storm or flash flood which may cause incorrect power to run within powerlines leading to your PS3, This would also benifit your TV as the majority of TV's are prone to power surges by: ccubsfan

Fan Tests

Even through common sense, Fan tests should not be done on your PS3 even if you have the 40GB or C80GB (Core 80GB),  If your fan sounds quieter than before than either your motor spun alot of grease around the axels or your motor got weaker, also PS3 fan tests for 20, 60 and 80 are even more risky because the PS3 was not designed to be upside down, EVER!

well that's pretty much all the info I could suck out of the forums and the PS3's manuals, I'll add more when I get more info that is prooven true

Contributors to this thread are

John0619

-Shadow_Spawn-

Rayvolution

xXCharlieXx

reveh

gtmartin69

ccubsfan

viprdude

Red-Blitz

(*) = Not Tested by me YET. be cautious when attempting the procedure.

EDIT: Added new goal

EDIT: New Contibutions added

EDIT: New submissions and new contributors

EDIT: Added Fan Test section

EDIT: Added Contributors

EDIT: Misspelling some thing

Message Edited by John0619 on 10-08-2008 08:21 AM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 11-30-2008 09:45 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 12-16-2008 05:38 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 12-16-2008 05:39 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 12-16-2008 05:41 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 12-16-2008 05:42 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 12-20-2008 03:26 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 01-10-2009 12:59 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 01-10-2009 12:59 PM
Message Edited by John0619v2 on 01-10-2009 01:00 PM

���������������Mabuhay Ang Pilipinas!
Please use plain text.
Message 192 of 232 (3,549 Views)
Fender Bender
4597 posts

Re: GUIDE: How to keep your PLAYSTATION 3 healthy

Aug 10, 2008
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 232 (3,549 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9915 posts

Aug 10, 2008
This will help alot for PS3 newbies lol. Kudos to you!

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 232 (3,549 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10925 posts

Aug 10, 2008

John0619 wrote:

what exactly do you mean by this? 
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 232 (3,549 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1238 posts

Aug 10, 2008
very good thread
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 232 (3,549 Views)
Fender Bender
4184 posts

Aug 10, 2008
Most people that I know take good care of their electronics but there are some who don't I feel sad when I hear that a ps3 is being treated poorly KUDOS to you sir!!!
Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 232 (3,549 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6810 posts

Aug 10, 2008
Nicely done
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 232 (3,549 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2989 posts

Aug 10, 2008
Like any electronics, there's no guarantees of course.  I followed every one of these tips and my launch 60 gig unit still died on me a couple months back.  Good tips, nontheless.
- Hiya.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 232 (3,549 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1903 posts

Aug 10, 2008

Xrob_edgeX wrote:

John0619 wrote:

what exactly do you mean by this? 

If you usually buy BD games, when the BD Drive gets used alot the drive will fail.... So when buying HDD Titles (the one's you buy off PSN) you'll reduce the risk of over using the BD Drive

���������������Mabuhay Ang Pilipinas!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 232 (3,549 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
515 posts

Aug 10, 2008

nice info thanks, and about the vacuming part any other way to clean the inside form the vents i dunt want to end up damaging anything from the inside, and i also have two fans one of the side and one on the back will that help decrease the amountn of dust going in or increase

thanks man

peaCe 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 232 (3,549 Views)
0 Likes