Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1292 posts

Re: Fixed my PS3 ((blu ray related)) <----Here's my story

Dec 12, 2008
no offense but seems like what you went thru was alot more of a hazzle then if you wouldntve just sent it in to Sony waited 1 week( which is what it took for mine)  and got it back working flawlessly and knowing that it is fixed.
Original 60gb Ps3 11-17-2006
BR Drive Failure 9-25-08 (repaired by sony $150)

YLOD Victim 1-6-09 (repaired by myself $10)
BR Drive Failure 12-02-09 (repaired by myself $60)

Repaired over 100 RROD and 30 YLOD/Ps3 failures.
Message 31 of 978 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Dec 12, 2008

tiguy99 wrote:

According to this thread here

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=support&thread.id=76451

I'm not allowed to post pics yet. I knew something didn't seem right earlier. I'm going to need some help with this one.

Alright guys I've finally reached the almighty JUNIOR status!!!! Must have happened overnight. So here goes....

A Story of how I replaced my KES-400AAA Blu Ray Laser in Pictures!!!! Enjoy and as always if you have any questions....please ask!

Please note, some of these pics were taken in a room with the most light of my house. If you can guess which room this is, good job! I did my repairs in a different room but painstakenly took these shots here. Again please work in an area with ambient light, and as little static as possible. Always wear an anti-static wristband if you perform a DIY PS3 repair of any sort and again if you do not feel comfortable watching or doing any sort of repair to your system, CALL SONY!!!! 

I assume no responsibility for any damage you may incur during this process. The pics are for your enjoyment. If you have any questions, please ask!

Here goes!!!

For this project, I used these 4 magnetic screw drivers. One is a star shape (not sure of the exact size it came as part of a multiple tool set) and the other two are standard philips, one for eyeglasses, and one you can find in any standard size phillips tool set. The 4th screw driver was a tiny eyeglass flatead driver pictured below on picture #9.

Carefully lift this part up from the rear toward the power button. Make sure you remove that silver L shaped part that holds the front  glossy Playstation cover FIRST before you lift this section

I placed my phone there for scale purposes of course Its sitting on top of the PS3's blu ray drive on the right

Gently pry the blu ray power from the Motherboard. I used an eyeglass flathead driver....then pulled it by hand once it was 1/2 way

Remove the biggest silve/blue cable on the bottom of the blu ray drive by gently lifting the tiny black lever with your fingernail

It easliy comes free revealing this ^ ^ Now set your console body aside. You're won't need it for this repair.

PLEASE NOTE:::::

I placed the PS3 on carpet ONLY for this photo. DO NOT work in environments where static can build up on your fingers etc. Make sure you're wearing a static free wristband so you don't damage your precious PS3 internals. One shock and bye bye PS3. You've been warned

There are 3 black screws you're going to remove from the bottom of this case.  Doing it this way, is much easier and safer than removing the board itself. 

Next remove the 2 silver screws at the top of the case. Set these aside somewhere safe. Flip the drive over and gently lift the entire silver lid off and set it aside somewhere safe. It'll leave you with this below

Now you're staring at the blu ray drive internal caseing. Note the disc magnet in the center.

Remove it and set it aside somewhere safe

Remove the 5 black screws and set them somewhere safe

Gently flip the lip over like so ^ ^ to reveal the injured blu ray drive internals ^ ^. 

If you've reached this part, take a deep breath. You're doing good. Remember, gentle is the word.  Keep track of all your screws and parts you've set aside.  Take a small break if you have to. You're in the home stretch.

Now its important that you DO NOT TOUCH anything else other than the KES-400AAA part. DO NOT TOUCH any springs or levers

To remove the KES-400AAA part, there are 4 tiny black screws you're going to remove. They're right in front of the BIG silver ones

Safely remove the 4 metal brackets the screws were holding and set them aside somewhere safe.

Gently lift and remove the metal rods from the drive

Gently peel back the black tape and gently lift up the lever with your fingernail. The defective KES-400AAA laser can now be removed.

NOTE::::::::::::::

2 very important pieces will need to be extracted from your old laser. First note this metal L bracket screwed on the side. It appears as a tiny wing. Unscrew this part below

Set it aside somewhere safe. Take your old laser and flip it upside down. Remove the small black screw holding down the white plastic clip on the rear. Remove the white plastic clip. Set both the white plastic clip and the small black screw aside somewhere safe. Both are shown in this pic below...top right

Take the new laser and mount both the tiny metal L wing bracket AND the White plastic clip to the new KES-400AAA Laser by screwing them back on. Next, reinsert the ribbon cable into it's slot and clip it back in. Then, thread the poles back through the holes on the new KES-400AAA and notating how it was originally mounted, carefully place it back into the drive assembly again see the pic below for reference. Gently push the laser back into place like the picture below.

MAKE SURE IT LOOKS LIKE THIS before you go any further! Take a moment....check, double check....triple check!!!!

Next we're going to test the new KES-400AAA laser to make sure it's functioning properly before we reasseble everything

First, take those metal brackets and notating where each one came from, take the tiny black screws and screw each one back on.

Second, take the lid and gently fold it back over so your drive looks like this. Put the white disc magnet back into place.

Now we're ready to test the new drive. Rescrew the 5 black screws you removed in this ^ ^ picture.  Grab your console bottom and take the wide silver/blue cable and plug it back in. Gently close the tab.

Plug the blu ray power cable back into place and gently place the drive back into its space on the console. With the console sitting flat, SAFELY plug in your power cable and video cable. 

Turn it on and test your disc by inserting it in the drive. IF you did everything correctly, your new drive should accept the disc and begin play as it normally would.

When you get confirmation it works, eject your disc and power down your system. SAFELY remove your power and video cables and set the console aside.

Remove the blu ray power cable again and remove the drive as you did in the beginning. Take the blu ray drive metal lid and place it back on like so (had to borrow a couple pics to illustrate this step below..I didn't have good shots of this step taken. I'll have to do these later on when I have some time)

Rescrew the 3 black screws on the bottom of the drive and the 2 silver screws on top of the drive. Reattach both the wide silver/blue cable as well as the blu ray power cable and notating how everything was, reassemble your system. Test your media and enjoy your newly repaired PS3! Any questions, please ask

That is all!

Message Edited by tiguy99 on 12-12-2008 12:09 PM
PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 32 of 978 (244 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Dec 12, 2008

DntMssWthTx wrote:

I don't think you should encourage people to a DIY-replacement. It'd be better if you only encouraged owners who are not covered by any kind of warranty. (Sony or retailer)

I agree, especially when it's the holly grail of backward compadiblity 60GB model. I rather pay for the warrenty if it wasn't tampered with, if it was anything other then 20GB/60GB model and mabey the 80GB PS2 emulated model then I wouldn't have a problem doing DIY solution.

Message 33 of 978 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Dec 12, 2008

Bontakun-007 wrote:

DntMssWthTx wrote:

I don't think you should encourage people to a DIY-replacement. It'd be better if you only encouraged owners who are not covered by any kind of warranty. (Sony or retailer)

I agree, especially when it's the holly grail of backward compadiblity 60GB model. I rather pay for the warrenty if it wasn't tampered with, if it was anything other then 20GB/60GB model and mabey the 80GB PS2 emulated model then I wouldn't have a problem doing DIY solution.

Just so you guys know, I agree with you 100%. This is a informal story of how I fixed my PS3. I also gave a disclaimer for those with warranties or those aren't comfortable with this to call Sony on pages 2&4

The reason why I posted pics and made this thread altogether is because I want to help those who are technically inclined to repair their own systems and are looking for alternatives vs paying the $150.00 to Sony to fix it for them.  Does this make sense?

Message Edited by tiguy99 on 12-12-2008 05:40 PM
PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 34 of 978 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5103 posts

Dec 12, 2008
Thats why I always keep my receipts on any electronics I buy,Because when sony ask for the receipt it will be in the box with the system.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 35 of 978 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Dec 12, 2008

Lenord69 wrote:
Thats why I always keep my receipts on any electronics I buy,Because when sony ask for the receipt it will be in the box with the system.

Lenord, I understand what you're saying and could have reconsidered had I been eligible but my system was long past the warranty period and I needed to figure out what I was willing to do in this circumstance.

As you can see, the warranty sticker's already removed in the first pic on this page. I bought the system this way from someone here in Chicago. 

I also noticed the system's a gamestop refurb unit but the guy I bought the PS3 from, didn't get the extended warranty either. Again, leaving me with fewer options to take vs some of you on this board. I'm just glad it all worked out! So now I can join some of you on COD4 and R2!!! 

Message 36 of 978 (244 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1025 posts

Dec 13, 2008

!!!   Tiguy99 !!!!!

I appreciate what you did for us.....its users like you that can simplify things for the masses.....im on your boat when it comes to doing things yourself.....great work....hope you stay active on this forum

Message 37 of 978 (244 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
306 posts

Dec 13, 2008
thanks for the info. i would rather fix mine myself when it tears up instead of paying $150 for sony to do it. i like learning how to fix things myself.
www.maanclan.com

Message 38 of 978 (244 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Dec 13, 2008

bonum83 wrote:

!!!   Tiguy99 !!!!!

I appreciate what you did for us.....its users like you that can simplify things for the masses.....im on your boat when it comes to doing things yourself.....great work....hope you stay active on this forum

bonez600rr wrote:
thanks for the info. i would rather fix mine myself when it tears up instead of paying $150 for sony to do it. i like learning how to fix things myself.

Thanks guys. Hopefully no one looking at this will ever have to follow in my footsteps but if you end up doing so, please make sure you do all your research about how the laser works, the process of how it's fixed and then feel free to use this thread as a reference.

Is there a YLOD replacement thread on this board? If not, maybe we should make one for guys/gals like us

Message Edited by tiguy99 on 12-12-2008 06:37 PM
Message 39 of 978 (244 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Dec 13, 2008

Hey Junior,

I just ordered  KES-400AAA with the tray deck,  I got a 60GB from a friend for $100 that wouldnt read blu-ray anymore.  I had a 80GB myself, but I just sold it (well, traded it for a high def camcorder that I got $600 for on ebay ), and I need to get this 60GB working again.

I know in your tutorial you said dont touch any springs or anything, but with the tray deck, all those parts are included.  My question is, would I just remove the 4 big silver screws and do a swap?  I have heard people talking about calabration... but I dont think it would be an issue.

Message 40 of 978 (244 Views)
0 Likes