Dec 11 2008
By: tiguy99 Hekseville Citizen 308 posts

Fixed my PS3 ((blu ray related)) <----Here's my story

977 replies 5594 views Edited Dec 11, 2008

Good afternoon ladies and gents. My name is Mike and I’m a proud owner of a 60GB PS3…here’s my story. Hopefully this story can some people who are in need.

I bought my 60GB PS3 earlier this summer and enjoyed about 6 months of trouble free gameplay.

I always cleaned my system and kept it in an open space. I played it about once a week for about 1 hour at a time. All was well until last Monday night while playing a Ninja Gaiden Sigma and the system froze.

For the first time my PS3 wouldn’t respond to any inputs from the controller nor the front panel. Finally after struggling with the power button on the front I was able to shut down and get the game started up again.

Shortly afterward, I exited the game and was prompted to update to 2.53…after the update was done I shut the system down for the night and went to bed.

The next day I go to play a game and my PS3 didn’t’ even recognize the disc. I’m like WTH?? I try more games, then I try a PS2 game then some more CDs nothing.

WTH…I google PS3 blu ray drive failure and I that’s how I found this site. I was amazed at the number of people coming forward with the same exact problem I had.

Too bad for me the guy I bought my system from didn’t’ have the receipt,  so I knew I was out of luck going through Sony unless I coughed up 150 to fix it. For me, that was the last resort.

I ordered a new KES-400AAA lense from Ebay and it got here by Friday last week. I opened my system and successfully installed the new laser. After firing it up, I discover the system only read DVDs and CDs but no games nor blue ray discs.

After complaining to the seller, they came back and offered a refund. I sent it back and located a seller in Chicagoland area that has these lenses in stock. I drive out there, pick up one for myself for about 50.00 then drive home and promptly install the new laser.

All was well for about 2 hours. All of a sudden, while playing Orange Box, the PS3 froze again and then after rebooting gave me the 80010514 code. I hoped online and found a thread on this site describing what that meant.

Again I’m like WTH?? How did I get burned 2x in a week? I followed everything to the T and didn’t run into any issues installing etc.

Finally I found the link over on llama forums  

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/BFeldhak/PS3GoodlaserBadLaser.jpg

And it all made sense afterward. The failed laser had the same white neck as the one in the pic. I alerted the local laser seller and was promptly offered a refund

When we meet, swapped the defective laser for the new dual eye KES-410ACA model which I later discovered did not fit my PS3.

On the verge or giving up, I set out to research more data on this whole ordeal and wind up listing my KES-410 and decided to find a reputable seller for the actual laser I need.

Finally, my brand new laser arrives today packaged very well and I installed it in 20 mins.  I’m proud to say my PS3 is back running in impeccable shape and I am a very happy camper.

I’ll post pics of the process later this evening.  I’m still downloading and resizing them as we speak. I just wanted to share my story especially if you didn’t end up sending your unit to Sony. In the end, I saved 100.00, fixed the system myself, and know the amount of care that went into my install process.

Not saying Sony would not have done the same but the part I wanted to point out is that I was able to fix my system in a much shorter timespan vs waiting some weeks for the turn around process from the mfgr.

There’s hope guys. You can do this. Instructions are plentiful online. Overall, DIY=saving $$$ as well as lost time being without your console. Is it for everybody, heck no. On a scale of 1-10, ten being the highest, I’d say it’s a 6-7 depending on your level of patience and the quality of the replacement part you’re using!

That is all!

Any questions, please ask. Now, time for some more COD4!!!!!!!

Message Edited by tiguy99 on 12-11-2008 03:52 PM
PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 2 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: Fixed my PS3 ((blu ray related)) <----Here's my story

Dec 11, 2008
i dont trust myself opening up my console and replacing the blu-ray drive i rahter pay the 150 bucks and get it done by the professionals because knowing me i would break it
Message 1 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
434 posts

Dec 11, 2008

My nephews 40 GB stopped reading discs, so i stuck the blu ray drive in my PS3, and it was able to read DISCS

I dont think ur solution would of worked for me

Currently Own: 160 GB PS3
Games I Own: GTA4,StreetFighter 4,Killzone2,Uncharted1&2
Message 3 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Wastelander
692 posts

Dec 12, 2008

I'm glad you finally fixed your PS3, I had problems with my BD drive as well and sent it to Sony for repairs (under warranty) and I have to say, the wait time felt like forever. However, I don't think you should encourage people to a DIY-replacement. It'd be better if you only encouraged owners who are not covered by any kind of warranty. (Sony or retailer)

Arrogance of Aggression
Message 4 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Sackboy
451 posts

Dec 12, 2008

very nice. if i were u, i would come back here in a week just to say whether or not the new BD drive is still working. hope the pics are good

Message 5 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
13757 posts

Dec 12, 2008
congrats
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?member=Grim%20Reaper
Message 6 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Fender Bender
3547 posts

Dec 12, 2008

ALMOST everyone else would prefer to just send it to Sony than to go through ALL of that trouble. You spent 50$, and maybe even more than that with the transportation cost (gas for your car), and then the time spent as well. It's cool how you fixed your PS3 and all, but most people would rather send it in to Sony and get the system back in around a week or so, than to be driving and ordering from various places, not to mention opening up your system (rather than sending it in and getting a 90 day warranty with the repair).

Message 7 of 978 (5,594 Views)
Survivor
2627 posts

Dec 12, 2008
NICE!!! I respect people who can fix there own problems. Very well done my freind! I have also learned a new leason about the laser failure.
Message 8 of 978 (5,594 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Dec 12, 2008

If you don't mind me asking, who did you order the new laser from?  Save me the trouble of googling for a seller.

Message 9 of 978 (5,594 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1390 posts

Dec 12, 2008
Do you have good background knowledge of these kind of things, or were you just following tuts like a noob will and if you did i dont really mean it as a insult just saying like someone with no exp.
Message 10 of 978 (5,594 Views)
0 Likes