Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 09 2010
By: JumpMan33 First Son 8 posts

Fan Noise Question

11 replies 4 views Edited Oct 9, 2010

So I had my 60 PS3 since February 07 and during the past year or so the fan would jump to a high speed (level 5?) in a matter of a few minutes. Over this summer I changed the thermal paste(which I'm pretty sure I applied right) to a high quality one, replaced the 15 blade fan with a 19 blade one, and took out the old power hungry power supply then put in the cooler 40gb model power supply. Now the fan still goes to high speed, it just takes longer for it to get there.

I make sure my ps3 has room to breath and leave the windows open in room and still no luck. Could it be just because my room gets warm during the day (no ac) thats making the fan do this? But then again, even when it cools off at night it still get loud. Is it possible that I put the thermal paste on wrong? I used the credit card method  witch I seen a lot of other people use.

I'm one of those gamers who doesn't like any distractions whens they play so its kind of a problem for me. How is the fan nose on the new 160gb slim? Should I just get one of those? I was thinking about getting one, but I don't want to spend 300 bucks on one just to find out something else is causing the problem.

The bottom of the ps3 gets quite warm, that's normal right?

If anyone has any tips or advice to the fan noise down please let me know.

Thanks in advanced

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Fan Noise Question

Oct 9, 2010
I have found that my 60GB PS3 fan will not go below level 3 when the room temp is 80F and above, and won't go below level 4 at 85F and above. Even with new thermal paste applied.

In is normal that the bottom of the PS3 gets warm, that is where the heatsink is located and it needs to absorb heat for the fan to exhaust it...
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 9, 2010

Interesting, so maybe its just my room temp?

Also, Does anyone know if the new slim models get as loud?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Oct 9, 2010

If its just the noise that bothers you, you can turn the TV up to drowned out the fan noise.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 9, 2010

Yeah I thought about that, but I have roommates in the house that I don't want to disturb during the night 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 9, 2010
The slim models don't get as loud as the 60GB, but they can still make noise when it the PS3 is working hard...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Oct 9, 2010

my slim is 10 times quieter than my old 60gig. cant even hear it across the room.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
854 posts

Oct 9, 2010

I have had my PS3 since launch and, its definately louder than when i first got it. I try to dust it and around it every so often. Also mine is still alive and well despite these problems and I always try to make sure my room is cool. I usually dont play when its too hot. Heat depletes me -.-

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2070 posts

Oct 9, 2010

JumpMan33 wrote:

Yeah I thought about that, but I have roommates in the house that I don't want to disturb during the night 

I have the same issue and got a nice wireless headphone that works great. These headphones can be found for a fairly low price if you look around. I found mine at Radio Shack. As for the fan noise it shouldn't be very loud. I serviced my 60 gig not long ago replacing the thermal paste and cleaning all the dust hid inside. Now it runs a bit cooler than before and the fan doesn't kick up as fast as before. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
94 posts

Oct 9, 2010

Yo, before you actually move on to a slim, try reapplying the thermal paste one last time.

This time do a small rice sized drop on both of the surfaces and DON'T manually spread them! Let the heatsinks do that when you install them. 

I saw a reduction in fan noise after I did this. But you should know, those 60GB models are inevitably going to be loud.  And prepare for the YLOD. You won't even see it coming. So back up your saves bro.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (4 Views)
0 Likes