Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
4047 posts

Re: Extremly Happy w/ ps3 repair service

Feb 14, 2008

RobsVette01 wrote:

Fahad98GSX wrote:
Nice to hear, but just because your overall experience went well, doesnt mean everyone elses did.  1 unit of good service doesnt make there service great.  Ive heard a mix of things about Sony.  When the 60GB was just released, Sony's service was excellent.  Box would arrive within 2 days, and you would get your PS3 back within a total of 5 days from the time you called sony.  Now, its different.  Not just that, but most people are receiving badly beat up scratched PS3's. 

A valid point...one case doesn't make any companies service great.  In fact, the more I read on these forums people have negative stories about the PS3 service.  I called yesterday to get some help with a network issue...and the recorded voice said "PS3 service is not able to take my call at this time" for about 2 hours!  Thats not my idea of excellent service.

Well... maybe thats your fault for calling during prime hours?  If you call around 1pm EST or so, its around a 15 min wait max...
vincej25
Message 21 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 14, 2008

VinceJ25 wrote:

Well... maybe that's your fault for calling during prime hours?  If you call around 1pm EST or so, its around a 15 min wait max...

Oh I see, I have to inconvenience myself so that someone can help me?  Please, do you know anything about customer service...I don't work around Sony's schedule...they should work around mine...thats whats excellent customer service means.

Message Edited by RobsVette01 on 02-14-2008 02:16 PM
Message 22 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Feb 14, 2008

RobsVette01 wrote:

VinceJ25 wrote:

Well... maybe that's your fault for calling during prime hours?  If you call around 1pm EST or so, its around a 15 min wait max...

Oh I see, I have to inconvenience myself so that someone can help me?  Please, do you know anything about customer service...I don't work around Sony's schedule...they should work around mine...thats whats excellent customer service means.

Message Edited by RobsVette01 on 02-14-2008 02:16 PM

I used to work in customer service. While I agree that isn't the best service, I would say in the interest of your sanity, take the advice. The reality is they don't have enough people taking calls and setting up exchanges, so if you need to do a return, pick an off-peak time to attempt your call.

I get the feeling that it also isn't so much the number of manned phones, but the amount of time spent on each call. Sounds to me like they need to streamline their return system (though I suspect they're also instructed to do everything they can to avoid the return).

42" Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ700U 1080p w/ Yamaha 5.1 720W Surround Sound
Get to Know Your Fellow Gamer Thread!
Message 23 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
413 posts

Feb 14, 2008
Luck you, only 8 days! I'm at 14 now......Lets hope it shows up tomorrow.

I checked the status of mine and it says the Exchange Unit has been shipped, two days ago. 2/12/2008 I can drive to the damn place in 12 hours, where the hell is it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 24 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
730 posts

Feb 15, 2008

AlphaBack wrote:
Most people seem to have 20 or 60g systems that come back with "less than perfect" condition, which happen to be the ones that they have discontinued. Hence no more production they are left with using refurbished machines. Thats getting ready to happen to us 80g owners too. My 80g is supposed to arrive today instead of 2 weeks ago because they ran the stock dry to fill orders at stores (being they have now discontinued that model) and the sony rep had told me they were only manufacturing after the stock had been depleted of 80g systems. I found that out the same week that Best-Buy and other stores pulled the 80g from the online store sites. Hmmmm......seems like this has happened before...oh yea...the 20g...the 60g...ITS A VISCIOUS CYCLE MAN!!!

to everyone saying that people are getting scratches ps3's. Im pretty sure the ps3 i got was brand new, It looked better than my old one. I can see a few people geting screwed over but they have plenty of 60 and 80 gb systems they can use for repair.
Message 25 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 2, 2008

been waiting for a week for a box. been told 5-10 working  days.

im so worried how long its going to take then to send me nother one back.

ps .the 25 min install of Devil May Cry broke my PS3 

pps. heard GTA4 breaks ps3 

Message 26 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
286 posts

May 3, 2008
i was really happy with the service 2. i sent it in during christmas time and the whole process took about 3 weeks. plus i got a brand new 60gb.
Message 27 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
675 posts

May 3, 2008

My experience was bad (not as bad as my experience on this forum when I came here for help though...thanks guys) and I let them know on the survey they wanted me to fill out.  First off, I live in Japan because this is where my work sent me.  At first, Sony tried to tell me my warranty was void because I left the country.  I argued with them and got them to agree that if I send it to my mom first, they'll accept it from her.  That's fine and dandy except that it costs $180 to send a PS3 via airmail (had to send it air mail if I wanted it to get to Sony before the warranty was up).  I don't understand why Sony of Japan couldn't just fix it.  When I called them, they flat out refused and didn't even want to talk to me.  The freaking system is region free (minus DVD and PS2)!  This point would be moot if I lived in the States, but Sony really should understand that many people have to work internationally and they should try work with those people.  Since the system is region free, the repair centers should be also.

I was a little turned off by this because I had to also send my Wii in to get repaired and NoJ offered to fix it despite my Wii being from the US.  Bear with me for a second while I talk about the experience real quick.  This is what I compare my experience with Sony to.  I sent it to them CoD (cash on delivery, not call of duty :smileytongue: ) and when they took a look at it, they called to tell me that it would become a JP Wii and none of my games could be transferred and that if I was cool with that, they'd go ahead and fix it.  I wasn't cool with that so they sent it back to me and I sent it to NoA.  They received, repaired it, made sure my saved games were transferred, and then sent it back (MY system, not someone else's refurb).  I was pleased with the service since they seemed to go that extra mile to make sure I didn't lose anything and they even attached a report to tell me exactly what they did to the system.  Also, due to an error at the repair center, they sent me a whole other Wii with a game and 2 controllers.  It was addressed to me and included no documentation or anything.  When I called them about it, they just said to keep it; that it's mine now.

Anyway, on to my experience with Sony of America...   Since SCEJ didn't want anything to do with me, I coughed up the $180 to send it to my mom.  My mom then sent it to Sony.  I got the email from Sony saying that they got it and then the next day they sent an email saying that they sent it out.  I thought "Wow, that was quick!  Great!".  I checked the status and saw that it left from Laredo, TX.  Being curious, I checked it out on Google Maps.  It's RIGHT on the border of TX and Mexico!  I started thinking "What reason would they have to put a repair center there...unless they just ship it right over the border to get fixed for dirt cheap by kids in Mexico?".  I didn't think too much of it though, but I did think that was odd.  Well, a month goes by and I finally get my PS3 from my mom only to find out that the bottom half of the shell is scratched all to hell.  It looks like they put a new, shiny top on it, but left the bottom intact with stickers halfway peeled off and all scratched (the card reader door is also all scratched up).  Whatever, at least I got it back.  So I hook it up and to my surprise, NONE of my saved games are on there.  Sony did NOT tell me they were going to wipe it clean and never once did they say to back up my data.  I just assumed that it was standard practice to copy data over to a new system since that is what Nintendo did.  Trust me, if they told me to back up my data because they weren't going to swap the hard drives or copy the data, I would have done it.  Oh well, guess I'll just have to start over on damn near every game I had (the only game I had backed up was R&C).  They also didn't send any sort of repair report which I also thought was standard practice (they did send back extra cables though...).  They never told me exactly what was wrong with my system (After the 2.0 update, my system froze over and over at random times, but  never while booted in to Linux.  I wanted to know why.)  or what they did to fix it.  Well, I guess they couldn't because they didn't even look at it; they just put it in the "broken" pile and grabbed one from the "refurb" pile (which would explain why they sent it back out nearly as soon as they got it).  I would have had no problem waiting a couple extra days if they would have taken the time to actually look at my system and give me some feed back as they tried to fix it.  You don't take your computer to a repair shop and expect to get back someone else's formatted computer do you?  I didn't expect this with my PS3.  

After dealing with Nintendo's service which was great because they went that last little mile to make sure I was informed, that I didn't lose any data, and that I actually got MY system back, my experience with Sony was just poor.   There was no attempt to let me know what was wrong with my system, no effort to actually repair the system, no effort to swap hard drives or copy data and no warning about this from the CSR, no effort to replace the stickers that are nearly falling off of my system (and I have a feeling if my PS3 breaks again, they'll try to say the warranty is void because of this), if I was warned that I would lose all my data, I would have been required to go out and shell out even more cash on an external hard drive (unacceptable unless Sony wants to provide one), and the repair centers are extremely strict about which PS3s they will fix (A center in Japan won't even touch a system from the US even though they'll still play the same games.  If Nintendo can do this, why can't Sony?).  The turn around time was great, but that's only because everything else was poor.  I would gladly sacrifice good turnaround time if Sony would just go that extra mile.

Well, that's that.  My "new" PS3 is running fine (except that it's made my TV freeze twice so far...which is weird...probably has something to do with the rapid resolution changes when a game is starting and my TV might not like that) and I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't break again because I just can't afford another $180 to send it back to the States.

Message Edited by Arcticblue on 05-02-2008 05:38 PM
Message 28 of 39 (2 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1948 posts

May 3, 2008
Agreed. They sent me a brand new 60 gig about a week and a half after I called! Excellent consumer support as well.
Message 29 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Dil
Fender Bender
4392 posts

May 3, 2008
same time as me

only god can judge me
Message 30 of 39 (2 Views)
0 Likes