Mar 22 2007
By: DoCDESTRuCTuM Lombax Warrior 272 posts

Easy Fat32 formatting for your drive to use on PS3!

18 replies 23589 views Edited Mar 22, 2007
Okay, enough with the squabbles and misinformation. I just got a 160gig USB hard drive yesterday, connected it to the PC and it said file format NTFS. This is not the correct file format. So what you need to do is reformat the drive (flash, usb, sata, etc) using a file formatting software. Do do this, you can look through the forums for a guy who has a detailed pdf file on how to do this using the cmd.exe program on your computer but this did not work for me so I would recommend this 3 step process:

1) Connect your drive to your PC via usb or whatever and go to your file management program. This can be accessed by going to your START Menu, Click RUN, then type in diskmgmt.msc

2) In the Disk Management program, right click the drive you have added to your PC and then click on delete partition. Go to Download.com and download the Fat32 formatter called COMPUAPPS Swissknife. This program is a little glitchy so it may take a couple of attempts for it to run properly. Open the program, find the new drive which you have previously deleted then click on CREATE  in the Swissknife program. It should take a few seconds to reformat it to Fat32.

3) Now, you have a FAT32 formatted drive, make a couple of folders titled Video, Music, Photo, etc. Add your corresponding files to each folder, disconnect from your PC and now connect to your PS3 via USB or whatever, and you should be good to go!

PSN ID: DoCDESTRuCTuM

P.s. You can use your PC to format using Disk Management but it only works at formatting drives 32Gigs or less. So if you have somethng bigger, I recommend downloading CompApps Swissknife version 3. Be patient with that program as it can be annoying. IF you have any questions, reply and I will do my best to help out!
Message 1 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3258 posts

Re: Easy Fat32 formatting for your drive to use on PS3!

Mar 22, 2007
Message 2 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
272 posts

Mar 22, 2007
Yeah, your tutorial is good to a point. It is especially good at helping open the file management program and deleting the partition but the link to download the fat 32 formatter program seems to not work at all! Plus, if you are not tech savvy, you may be dead in the water with the CMD dos aspect of programming on your PC. I am not a programmer, just a regular guy who does not know DOS or CMD language on Windows. Plus, your program seems to glitch up a bit on XP.... Maybe it works better on older Microsoft OS but who has anything older than XP?

No disrespect, I think your tutorial is quite helpful to a degree but after half of the tutorial, I was stuck with a newly unformatted 160Gig usb drive with still no way to run it on my PS3!

PSN ID: DoCDESTRuCTuM
Message 3 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1943 posts

Mar 22, 2007
or right click it and hit format...... (use disk utility for mac)
Message 4 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 21, 2007
This doesn't work for me, either way.  The Swissknife won't load on Vista and the fat32 program from the other guy won't do it to my drive, it just fails.  I also never show a delete partion, just delete volume.  Any ideas on what I could do, besides take it to someone?
Message 5 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Oct 21, 2007
Windows can only create up to 32 GB Fat32.  Soorrry its gates.  Use swiss knife.
Message 6 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 21, 2007
Didn't you read my post, Swiss knife won't load, it keeps closing.  I got it to open once, and it wouldn't do anything to that drive.

Message 7 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 10, 2007
For all windows systems:

open command propmt by pressing start -> run -> then typing cmd.exe

next plug in the external hdd into your pc

go to my computer to find what the disk drive is being called, normally I or E

in comand prompt, type the following line: (replace X with drive name)

format X:/fs:fat32

then press enter

A message will appear stating that all files will be lost on disk drive X

NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO BACKUP ANY INFO ON DRIVE X BEFORE IT IS WIPED CLEAN AND REFORMATTED

type y

press enter

wait.....

Hope this helps you all!!!!!!!!

-Jake
Message 8 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Oct 24, 2008
hey, i did the 3 steps what you suggested (i have a 1tb external hdd - Maxtor basics). the only problem was that the maximum size it will format it too is 430gb..... is there anyway to make it bigger coz thats wasting like half a TB of storage. or at least how i can reformat the drive  back to its default state.

thanks for any help
16 Yrs Old
PS3 40gb Model
TV 32" Full HD 1080p and 42" Full HD 1080p 100Hz
7.2 Sony MU.TE.KI Surround Sound
55 PS3 Games (Legit)
1x Sixaxis Controller and 1x White DS3 Controller
Xbox360 Arcade (so LOUD!) 4 games
Nintendo Wii + Wii Fit 4 or 5 Games
Message 9 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1467 posts

Oct 24, 2008

dz_93 wrote:
hey, i did the 3 steps what you suggested (i have a 1tb external hdd - Maxtor basics). the only problem was that the maximum size it will format it too is 430gb..... is there anyway to make it bigger coz thats wasting like half a TB of storage. or at least how i can reformat the drive  back to its default state.

thanks for any help

I downloaded and installed SwissKnife from Cnet and then plugged the external HD in and just used SwissKnife from the get go.

Message 10 of 19 (23,589 Views)
0 Likes