Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 17 2011
By: Spellcaster Lombax Warrior 241 posts

Dualshock 3 controller turns itself off

6 replies 5689 views Edited Sep 17, 2011

I have a Dualshock 3 controller model CECHZC2U that's green/teal that keeps turning itself off, I have the Power Save settings for Controller Auto-off set to off and none of my 3 black dualshock 3 controllers turn themselves off automatically, just this green one.  I've tried the reset button on the back of the controller and it still keeps shutting off.  Any suggestions are greatly appriciated.

Message 1 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: Dualshock 3 controller turns itself off

Sep 17, 2011

Sounds like you've got a bad battery. Lithium Ion batteries can often behave strangely. In particular they can get intermittent, where they act like they are fully charged, when in fact they aren't. So the battery status will seem okay when you turn it on, but the device will die after a short use.

One of my DS3 controllers was also doing this. Swapped the battery from a Sixaxis controller and it was fine again. Seemed odd that my newer DS3 went bad before an older Sixaxis, but like I said, Li-Ion can be finicky sometimes.

And what did I do with that old Sixaxis?

http://www.kamipiula.net/pictures/Sixaxis_AA_mod.jpg

In retrospect, I should have done that to my DS3. The NiMH AA cells have over 3 times the capacity of the original battery. This controller almost never dies.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 2 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
86 posts

Sep 17, 2011

If it's a bad battery and is built into the remote, you may have to constantly have you controler plugged into a USB

Message 3 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25201 posts

Sep 17, 2011

Replacement batteries are fairly cheap, and it wouldn't be that difficult to replace. Now I'm not trying to sound mean, but is this really that difficult to figure out? I know that now it's instinctive to run to the internet and post "OMG!! MY DUASHOK DUZNT WRK! PLZ HLP!!", but this is some fairly simple troubleshooting.

Message 4 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 17, 2011

That is rather mean, because he did follow troubleshooting steps. While he didn't reach quite as far through the troubleshooting flow chart as you may have (since you're more familiar with it), he made a very good attempt. In his defense, it's not obvious at first that the battery is toast, especially if he has three other controllers that seem to be working okay. I don't think you need to disparage him for his effort. Be nice.

GeekGod has a really good reply. I also recommend pressing the reset button, and letting the controller charge fully. If the controller still doesn't stay on long enough, then buy a new battery. Try to avoid running the controllers bone dry, or leaving them fully charged and connected for too long. Lithium ion batteries like having a moderate state of charge.

Message 5 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25201 posts

Sep 17, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

That is rather mean, because he did follow troubleshooting steps. While he didn't reach quite as far through the troubleshooting flow chart as you may have (since you're more familiar with it), he made a very good attempt. In his defense, it's not obvious at first that the battery is toast, especially if he has three other controllers that seem to be working okay. I don't think you need to disparage him for his effort. Be nice.

GeekGod has a really good reply. I also recommend pressing the reset button, and letting the controller charge fully. If the controller still doesn't stay on long enough, then buy a new battery. Try to avoid running the controllers bone dry, or leaving them fully charged and connected for too long. Lithium ion batteries like having a moderate state of charge.

I don't think it is mean. It's not being familiar with the troubleshooting chart, it's common sense. If you have a rechargable item that doesn't hold a charge, then the you most likely have a dead battery. It's not difficult to figure out. We've reached the point where everyone runs to the internet and then hopes to get an answer, rather than finding on an answer on their own. We see it here all the time.

Message 6 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 18, 2011

I don't think he knew the controller was not holding a charge. I think he thought his controller was simply turning off on its own for no obvious reason i.e. a controller malfunction. He turned to us to see what he missed after the reset button did not fix it for him and his other controllers continued to work fine.

If someone did make a new thread saying "my controller stopped working today. help!" with no attempt at punctuation or any useful info, I would agree with you fully that he is wasting our time (I would still help them though; maybe all they need is a role model). However, I feel Spellcaster made a very intelligent and reasonable request for help -- evidently GeekGod and Nuttro93 agreed and were willing to help him. Heck, sometimes I miss the most obvious things; I can't be expected to be on the ball all the time. Thus, I feel it's inappropriate (especially as a MVP) to lambast him for not figuring it out on his own. It may make newcomers hesistant to post, thinking we're too smug and arrogant to help.

I hope that makes sense. I've seen you make some really helpful posts, but I think you can do much better today.

Message 7 of 7 (5,689 Views)
0 Likes