Highlighted
Sep 18 2011
By: chickenbonetom Treasure Hunter 7613 posts
Accepted Solution

Does The PS3 Use Any Electricity In Hibernation Mode?

7 replies 1618 views Edited Sep 18, 2011

Probably a stupid a question to ask but I would just like to make sure it doesn't cause my eletric bill has been much higher these past 3 months and I can't think of any reason why aside from this. Also I hear noises coming from the PS3 while it's in Hibernation mode as if power is still being sented to it. Anyway can anyone tell me if the PS3 does or not? Also how much Electric does the PS3 use in general when it's actually on.

Message 1 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
663 posts

Re: Does The PS3 Use Any Electricity In Hibernation Mode?

Sep 18, 2011

Which model of the PS3 do you own? On wikipedia, there is a section about the hardware of the PS3 models, and I believe it says watt-usage on the fat and slim models.

I do remember that Fat PS3s, when set in "standby mode" (the red light on) it will only use 1 watt.

Message 2 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Sep 18, 2011

All electrical devices if left plugged in draw some kind of tiny minute amounts of power. It's recomended that you unplug any electronic devices that are not being used for long extended periods. As for the amount of power your PS3 consumes. Check your use and care manual it may show the power specs, usually on the last few pages of your manual. You can always Google it on the internet aswell.

*********************^v^> Beware of the Chupacabra>^v^********************
Message 3 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 18, 2011

Unless there is a physical power switch (like in the back of the fat PS3s), there will be a small trickle of power when the PS3 is in standby mode. Since PS3 Slims don't have a physical switch, they always draw power when plugged in...

Message 4 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7613 posts

Sep 19, 2011

YamiJustin wrote:

Which model of the PS3 do you own? On wikipedia, there is a section about the hardware of the PS3 models, and I believe it says watt-usage on the fat and slim models.

I do remember that Fat PS3s, when set in "standby mode" (the red light on) it will only use 1 watt.

I have the fat 80 Gig MGS4 Bundle PS3

Message 5 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Sep 19, 2011

chickenbonetom wrote:

YamiJustin wrote:

I have the fat 80 Gig MGS4 Bundle PS3

Photobucket

While it does use a little bit of electricity in Standby Mode, there shouldn't be any noises unless you have Remote Start enabled.  Then, the fan would stay active.

Message 6 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Sep 19, 2011

EDIT: Sorry, the numbers I first posted are wrong. I forgot that when you unplug a PS3 you have to boot it up after you plug it back in to re-enable the Remote Start feature (and I unplugged it to connect my Kill-A-Watt). So the 0.5W/12¢ figure is for normal standby mode. I will correct the numbers below for Remote Start standby mode.

Honestly, the power usage of your PS3 when it's "off" is insignificant.

The PS3 has 3 possible levels of "off" depending on model and features used.

On the older "Fat" models there was a mechanical power switch in the back, and with that turned off the system was truly off. No power flow at all. With that switch on, and on newer "Slim" models the "soft-off" standby mode (Red power light) draws a small amount of power.

Mainly the power switch circuit and disc insertion sense circuits are still active, as well as Bluetooth, to sense conditions when the unit should turn on. Power usage in this mode is minimal, and it should not have much affect on your electric bill.

If you hear "noises coming from the PS3" when in standby, then you must be using Remote Play and have Remote Start enabled. With Remote Start enabled the PS3 uses more power because the system is essentially still on, in a very low level state. The "noise" you hear is the system fan  running at minimal level. However, even in this mode power usage is pretty low.

My new "Slim" draws about 9.4W when in standby with Remote Start via the Internet enabled (the highest power standby). So if I calculate based on 730 hours a month (24x365.25/12), and the ridiculously high price of electricity in Hawaii at 32.4 cents/kWh (which is likely MUCH higher than you are paying) that works out to around $2.22 a month. Not much in the grand scheme when you consider that most people here pay well over $100 a month for electricity (my highest bill over the summer was $339).

The last national average cost for electricity that I saw was 11.6 cents/kWh, and at that price you'd be paying only about $0.80 (80 cents) a month.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 7 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Sep 19, 2011

Of course power cost to actually USE the system will be a lot more. But that will vary significantly depending on what you are doing, and it would be very difficult to calculate without precise usage info.

If you really want to know what it costs I suggest you get a Kill-A-Watt meter, (or something similar). It's basically an electric meter you plug a device into, input your cost of electricity, and it will monitor the power used and tell you how much it's costing over time (the longer you monitor, the more accurate the average will be).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 8 of 8 (1,618 Views)
0 Likes