Jun 10 2010
By: Captain__Planet Hekseville Citizen 324 posts

Does PS3 support the 3D checkerboard format?

9 replies 2032 views Edited Jun 10, 2010

I am looking into buying a Mitsubishi DLP TV that has 3D support. Thing is, it uses the checkerboard format for 3D. Can I play 3D games in 3D with this TV, or am I going to have to buy the $400 adapter to get signals other than the checkerboard format? 

Message 1 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
214 posts

Re: Does PS3 support the 3D checkerboard format?

Jun 10, 2010

Captain__Planet wrote:

I am looking into buying a Mitsubishi DLP TV that has 3D support. Thing is, it uses the checkerboard format for 3D. Can I play 3D games in 3D with this TV, or am I going to have to buy the $400 adapter to get signals other than the checkerboard format? 

You are going to have to buy the adaptor.

Videogamesigs.com Forum Siggy
Message 2 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Jun 10, 2010
I hear checkerboards (and chessboards, oddly enough) also support the checkerboard format. Although, you need the color adapter to go between the chess and checkerboard configurations.

Seriously, I have no idea what this checkerboard format you're talking about is.

However, a quick google search seems to say that PS3 doesn't support checkerboard yet.
Message 3 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Jun 11, 2010

Captain__Planet wrote:

it's simple Catain P. just don't get the Mitsu DLP. while DLP has been around for a long time, these new DLP tvs are just glorified versions of those big box projection tvs, and the picture quality has similar disadvantages at certain light levels and certain angles like the old projection tvs do. your best bet IMO is to get a 3D capable LED tv. while i didn't buy into the 3D market, and probably never will, i did recently get a samsung 120Hz LED tv, and it is a wonderful tv. i couldn't be happier with it. after all, samsung owns it when it comes to HDTVs.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 16, 2010

Oh, and I don't agree about the pic quality on the DLPs.  I have a Samsung LED DLP and it has excellent off angle viewing, and better blacks than the best LCD tvs.  Plus, my 60 in HDTV cost me less than $1000.00.  I'm out of luck on full HD 3d, but given the total lack of 3d Blu-rays, it isn't that big a deal for now.  When more content is available, I'll probably have to fake a burn out of my television to justify upgrading.

Message 5 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 16, 2010

It does for the Avatar game.  I have a Samsung DLP, and the Avatar game has several choices for the 3d output, including checkerboard.  For those people who don't know what that is, it is the format the television uses to decode 3d.  I have to agree, that at this point I would not buy a legacy DLP 3d tv.  The checkerboard format is not one of the required formats for the new 3d specs, so it doesn't have to be supported. Mitsubishi is selling an adapter that will convert both the 3d Blu-ray and the 3d stations for the legacy televisions, but their adapter won't support Samsung televisions.  However, the Panasonic Blu-Ray player does support the checkerboard format.  I haven't been able to find out if the PS3 3d Blu-Ray update will support checkerboard.  The only reason to buy one of the DLP sets is that you can get a huge television for a fraction of the cost of even a small 3d HDTV.

Message 6 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Jun 16, 2010

I also have a Samsung LED DLP 50". There is absolutely no screen lag with DLP tvs when playing games, or watching fast moving objects.

Message 7 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
240 posts

Jun 16, 2010

I can only confirm the PS3 does output 3D from Avatar in 3d to my new 60 inch Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV. While i do not have an LED TV, I do have a 46 120hertz Toshiba Regaza Cinema Series LCD(Only sold at High End theatre type stores). My DLP was mainly purchased for the MLB show and Killzone 3 beta's just in case the multiplayer beta's are in 3D. Yet I was majorly suprised about the DLP's picture quality, for 1300 dollars less than my Toshiba, i would struggle to find any major differences except for black levels. The Mitsubishi really goes TOTALLY BLACK when needed, in the Dark Knight Batman jumps out of total darkness where with my LCD...it could be considered grey/black at times. DLP does blacks better than Plasma's IMHO,LCD's are great except for black levels.

Mitsubishi 60C9series 3D TV
Toshiba 46LX177 120hertz 1080p LCD
Sony 60 gb Ps3(320 hd upgrade)Purchased11/7/2006and 80gb(2009)
Sony 7.1 STR-DG920
Tritton Ax Pro Headset
Message 8 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 18, 2010

I don't understand why people are upset that Mitsubishi's adapter (Standard 3d Output -> checkboard output) doesn't work with Samsung 3D DLP sets.  Since when is it Mitsu's responsibility to make an adapter for Samsung sets?  Sucks for Samsung owners, but you should probably take your gripes to Samsung.

Aside from that, I wish Sony would have included checkerboard output format for their latest 3D firmware enhancement, but I guess the logistics of supporting multiple types of format make it less than ideal.  I think some of this goes back to the fact that there is no independent post-process scaler in the PS3, which, if there was, may have made multiple 3D output formats easier.  Concerning the future 3D blu-ray firmware change, considering they neglected checkerboard output this go around, I doubt they will be including it.

Message 9 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 22, 2010
Samsung LED DLP owners are upset with Mits. because they are purposely making the boxes incompatible with Samsung DLP TVs. That's the equivalent of Apple's choosing not to support Blu-ray. Fortunately, there are solutions for both of the above problems: 1) Buy the converter box configured for Samsung DLPs straight from the box's manufacturer; 2) Don't buy Apple products. Samsung's last-gen DLP (the TRUE LED TV--not an LED back-lit LCD TV) still rocks.
Message 10 of 10 (2,032 Views)
0 Likes