Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 17 2008
By: LevityNYC Fender Bender 4907 posts

Do not buy the PS3 chatpad (my review)

62 replies 579 views Edited Dec 17, 2008
It showed up on my doorstep today.

I preordered it about 3 months ago and i completely forgot about it. 

I own the 360 one and love it. I put it on my controller whenever I send a text message or have to enter a redemption code and it works really well. (even though it does take a while to attach it.

First of all its in one of those annoying plastic sealed boxes that takes 3 hours to open.

Pros. Bluetooth, pairs quickly, even with my iMac and Macbook (not that I'd use it)
If you swipe the middle of it, you can navigate the xmb and even a cursor in the browser
One button access to friends list
one button access to mail box
very small and lightweight (wait for it)
attaches to the PS3 controller in 2 seconds (just wait, theres a reason)

thats about it....

Complaint # 0
Its in one of those annoying plastic sealed boxes that takes 3 hours and six knives to open.

Complaint # 1
In order to get the finger swiping to work, you need to push a button to enable it and then hit it again to type.
Why not just use the d-pad?

Complaint # 2
The thing doesn't actually connect to the controller other than just clipping on top which leads to...

Complaint # 3
its got its own battery which means that its ANOTHER thing I have to keep charged. 

Complaint # 4
It attached to the top of the controller so you have to completely stop what you are doing to text

Complaint # 5
The keys are too flipping small. Its impossible to type with any speed or accuracy.

Complaint #6
Even if you do have midget fingers you still can't type because the flipping thing isnt backlit. Thats right, you can't see what you are doing in the dark. The thing has it own battery, yet its not backlit? 

What a waste.

Message Edited by LevityNYC on 12-16-2008 11:56 PM
Remember kids: Friends don't let friends buy Bose.

Socom - Its like crack....only better
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 63 (579 Views)
First Son
27 posts

Re: Do not buy the PS3 chatpad (my review)

Dec 17, 2008
I coulda toldja that thing is crap. They compared it to the Xbox Keypad and I just Laughed Laughed Laughed.....
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4907 posts

Dec 17, 2008
I honestly could deal with the rest of the issues, but the fact that its not backlit is astounding to me.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3670 posts

Dec 17, 2008

good review.

the things I appreciated were you mentioning that you have to hit a button to use as a mouse and then touch it again to make it a keyboard

another is that is has to charge seperately.  I was thinking maybe integrate the keypad to charge the controller that way you do not have to have two cords coming to your controller

another is backlit issue and the small buttons, okay I guess small buttons arent so bad because well all cell phones are small

and the backlit issue isnt too bad cause I don't play in the dark, its just not good for your eyes

good review though, thanks

I still may get this some day!

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1501 posts

Dec 17, 2008

LevityNYC wrote:

Complaint # 0
Its in one of those annoying plastic sealed boxes that takes 3 hours and six knives to open.

Complaint # 1
In order to get the finger swiping to work, you need to push a button to enable it and then hit it again to type.
Why not just use the d-pad?

Complaint # 2
The thing doesn't actually connect to the controller other than just clipping on top which leads to...

Complaint # 3
its got its own battery which means that its ANOTHER thing I have to keep charged. 

Complaint # 4
It attached to the top of the controller so you have to completely stop what you are doing to text

Complaint # 5
The keys are too flipping small. Its impossible to type with any speed or accuracy.

Complaint #6
Even if you do have midget fingers you still can't type because the flipping thing isnt backlit. Thats right, you can't see what you are doing in the dark. The thing has it own battery, yet its not backlit? 

0 - Do you not own a real pair of sicsorrs or kitchen shears?

1 - The finger swipeing this is supposed to mimmic a touch-pad mouse

2 - That's a good thing

3 - Rather have it have it's own battery then drain the controllers

4 - If you have really small hands

5 - It takes some time to get used to

6 - It's a standard QWERTY keyboard, which has been the standard keyboard/typewritter layout since the 1870s  if you don't know where the buttons are without looking at them then how can you even comprehend playing games.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 63 (579 Views)
Fender Bender
4907 posts

Dec 17, 2008
I am finding it a lot easier to use as a keyboard separate from the controller.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
219 posts

Dec 17, 2008

Your not trollin dude. Just posting your valid opinion on a product that is directly related to the subject matter of the forums. Good post, great opinion review.

Personally I was never plannin on buying it, but after reading the facts you pointed out... even if I had a whim or impulse one day and an extra $40 in my pocket your review just saved me $40!! I always use the keyboard that I purchased for use on my PS2 a long-long time ago. I never texted all that often anyway until Home (not that I use Home all that much either). But the keyboard works just fine. I have a usb extender so the keyboard sits nicely on my coffee table right in front of where I sit while gaming. Simple setup. Although a wireless keyboard is in order for the near future. But I would rather spend the $40  (prolly more tho) on that as opposed to the clunky POS keypad attachment.

Good Post. Kudos.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4907 posts

Dec 17, 2008
I know its QWERTY, but its a little jarring to have my thumb be able to press any of the WAZESXDCFR keys at any given time

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Dec 17, 2008
The only reason that stuff is mainly being packaged with that pain in the ass packages is to keep people not wanting to waste 50 bucks on the keypad, from stealing it lol
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Dec 17, 2008
I was using a wireless blutooth keyboard and I find it a much better alternative to that.  I've been using it since it came out for the home beta and some web surfing and it's still fine on a single charge.  And it is a qwerty keyboard, so I don't need it to be backlit to know where all the buttons are.  Bottom line for me is I like this devise and would rather use it then the separate keyboard I was using before it.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 63 (579 Views)
0 Likes