Dec 23 2008
By: Getout22 Monster Hunter 34 posts

Connecting but not really connecting to the net

10 replies 2 views Edited Dec 23, 2008

I moved about 3 months ago and just took a while to set up the ps3.  In my old house to conect to the net I would just switch the ethernet cable from the computer to the ps3.  I did not get online alot with the ps3 due to this reason.  I tried to buy a router but that turned into a big hassle and just forgot about it.

In my new place I can not switch back and forth due to being in a two story apartment.  I have cable internet and have a cable going from the was to a splitter then a line going to the modem and then a cable from the modem to the back of the PS3.   The modem is lit up and working fine.  The cable guy was by last night to work the cable box and said I am getting a strong connection to the internet.  Also when I go to the internet browser throught the PS3 it brings up a screen from cox, the internet provider,  saying it does not support this browser.  If I try to sign in it give me an error and everything I have googled with that error code does not provide any help.  It seem to be associated with wireless modems.

Since i am seeing the cox page on the browser page It must be recieving a signal.  I am wonder If i just need to dl a patch somehow to get it to work.

If you have an question please ask.  I have been tring for a month to conect to the net.  I have called cox for help and the support line at PS3 (really felt liek this was a new person becasue every question I ask it seemed she leaned into the next cubical and ask the guy next what she shoudl do)

Message 1 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5378 posts

Re: Connecting but not really connecting to the net

Dec 23, 2008
"splitting" a network cable will not work. a router is the correct solution no matter how big of a "hassle" it is.
Message 2 of 11 (2 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Dec 23, 2008

If I did not have a computer at all  and only had one cable outlet in the place how would you set this up?

I really do not think people run a cable from the upstair computer all the down the stair well to connect the ps3.

Message 3 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5378 posts

Dec 23, 2008
a wireless router
Message 4 of 11 (2 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Dec 23, 2008

You said splitting a network cable does not work are you only talking about the ps3.  I did this in my old unit for my tv and internet and played cod4 and wow without any interuptions in my old unit.

Also it was how I conected to the internet before wtih my ps3 there was no router.  jsut a split in the cable conection.

Message Edited by Getout22 on 12-23-2008 01:16 PM
Message 5 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5378 posts

Dec 23, 2008

that should not work in theory. how it did in the past, i have no clue. just must have been by pure coincidence. maybe your old isp was allowing you to have multiple isp addresses assigned? even then, i dont know.

the proper set up for a home network is ISP -> Modem -> Router ->

Message 6 of 11 (2 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Dec 23, 2008
It does registister it is connected to cox cable becuase I get the cox support screen saying it does not support that browser.  When I try to log into my account I get a timed out error as well as when I run the internet test on the system.
Message 7 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Dec 24, 2008
Help please
Message 8 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Dec 24, 2008

to me it sounds as though cox cable is trying to you get you to sign on with the PS3. It sounds like you have it hooked up right (coaxial from the wall to the modem, doesn't matter if there's a splitter in there, then ethernet from modem to PS3). What I would do is give them a call and tell them about what you are seeing. You probably aren't the first of their users to run into this, and they will likely have the information you need to get online.

How do you have the upstairs computer hooked up to the internet if your modem is downstairs, connected to your PS3?

Message 9 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5378 posts

Dec 24, 2008

initially i thought he was talking about splitting a network cable, not the co-ax cable.

i also agree, that their is probably something with PPPoe going on that requires you to log in.

best solution no matter what the problem is for you to get a router properly set up.

Message 10 of 11 (2 Views)
0 Likes