Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 14 2010
By: jman1231123 First Son 5 posts

Charging the PS3 controller

11 replies 1287 views Edited Jan 14, 2010
I know how to charge it, I just want to know when I should charge it to keep the battery healthy, or how much is too often/not often enough.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1057 posts

Re: Charging the PS3 controller

Jan 14, 2010
For lithium-ion it really doesn't make a difference. Charge whenever you like.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

Jan 14, 2010
what i do and from what ive heard that is the best suggestion, is to charge it when its close to dying or sometime when its got 1 bar left. and to keep the battery fully charged if your not gonna use it for along time
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Jan 14, 2010

Lithium Ion batteries don't have a "memory", the way some other rechargable battery types do; so they won't be damaged by partial charging.  That said, any rechargable battery can only be charged a limited number of times, and all rechargable batteries will lose capacity over time as they are used.  If possible, you should keep the battery on a charger if it isn't going to be used for a while.  All rechargeables start to lose power slowly as soon as you stop charging them, even if they aren't being used.  Storing power for long periods of time is not what they are designed to do (that is what disposable batteries are for).  While you are using the controller, to maximize the number of recharge cycles, wait until the battery is low on power and then charge it fully. All of this only makes a significant difference over a period of years with frequent use.  I agree that it isn't generally worth worrying about.

GKP

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1057 posts

Jan 14, 2010

gkpama00 wrote:

Lithium Ion batteries don't have a "memory", the way some other rechargable battery types do; so they won't be damaged by partial charging.  That said, any rechargable battery can only be charged a limited number of times, and all rechargable batteries will lose capacity over time as they are used.  If possible, you should keep the battery on a charger if it isn't going to be used for a while.  All rechargeables start to lose power slowly as soon as you stop charging them, even if they aren't being used.  Storing power for long periods of time is not what they are designed to do (that is what disposable batteries are for).  While you are using the controller, to maximize the number of recharge cycles, wait until the battery is low on power and then charge it fully. All of this only makes a significant difference over a period of years with frequent use.  I agree that it isn't generally worth worrying about.

GKP

You'll wear out the controllers long before it would ever be an issue. I don't think anyone should waste the time worrying about it in the slightest.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jan 14, 2010

gkpama00 wrote:
If possible, you should keep the battery on a charger if it isn't going to be used for a while.  All rechargeables start to lose power slowly as soon as you stop charging them, even if they aren't being used
Incorrect advise. Do not leave Li-Ion batteries charging when not in use. They have very slow self discharge (Li-Ion will hold a charge for a very long time), so there is no point in continuously charging them. Doing so will, in fact, shorten their usable life. The best "storage" charge for Li-Ion is around 25%. Li-Ion batteries stored at full charge will lose capacity faster than those that are stored at a partial charge. So the best advice is just to use them until they get low, then charge them (this keeps them at a partial charge state most of the time). However, if you know you are going to do some Marathon gaming the next day and your controllers are only a little low, go right ahead and top them off. Li-Ion has no "memory" so partial charges are okay in moderation. Just don't continuously top them off to keep them at or near fully charged at all times.

If for some odd reason you are planning on not using them for several months, don't charge them up to full before storing them. They will maintain their usable life better if stored at a partial charge state (however, if they are totally dead, put a small charge in them before storing).

Also, it's bad to run Li-Ion batteries down to completely flat. Fortunately the batteries Sony uses have a protection circuit to prevent that. Don't defeat the point of that circuit by repeatedly trying to turn the device back on once it has turned off due to low battery. Most batteries will recover a bit of voltage after resting, and you can often get a device with a "dead" battery to turn back on for a moment after it's been off for a while (I have seen people do this to try and suck every last bit a juice out of their system), but doing so with a Li-Ion battery can damage it from over-discharging.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13960 posts

Jan 14, 2010

Most modern rechargable devices are smart enough to stop charging the battery when it reaches capacity, so even if you leave it on the charger all the time; it only charges when the battery is measurably depleted.  Leaving it on the charger ensures that the battery doesn't drain to zero while it is not in use; which as you also said, is not good for rechargables.  Over-charging batteries isn't possible in most devices today.

GKP

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jan 14, 2010
It's not over charging that is the problem. Read my post again. Li-Ion batteries last longer when they are at a partial charge. They come from the factory with a 25% charge, because that is the best for long term storage. If you keep them topped off all the time you will shorten their life.

And self drain is not an issue with Li-Ion. They have very low self discharge and will hold their charge state for a very long time.

Leaving Li-Ion on charge at all times when not in use will significantly reduce the batteries usable life span. It has nothing to do with over-charging, it's just the nature of the chemistry. It is not good to keep them fully charged all the time. If it was, then why don't they come from the factory fully charged like the pre-charged NiMh batteries do (reason, it's bad for Li-Ion).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 14, 2010
i dont like that it cant charge when in standby mode (red light) so i plug it into my wii because i always have my wii in standby mode and it works... i bought a ipod wall charger a couple days ago and plugged it into there thinking it would work but it does not.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1105 posts

Jan 14, 2010

CODfan44 wrote:
i dont like that it cant charge when in standby mode (red light) so i plug it into my wii because i always have my wii in standby mode and it works... i bought a ipod wall charger a couple days ago and plugged it into there thinking it would work but it does not.

Yes... that really sucks... so what I do before I go to bed is leave my ps3 on with power save mode set to 1 hour and leave the controller charging for an hour until my system shuts down...
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (1,287 Views)
0 Likes