Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 22 2010
By: MKE46BMW Monster Hunter 45 posts

Can I SYNC a PS3 Controller without the USB cable?

36 replies 56301 views Edited Mar 22, 2010

OK,

So im having a lot of trouble trying to find the answer to this.

"Can i SYNC my wireless Controller without the use of a USB cable"??????

I ask this because i think my USB ports are BAD & ARENT WORKING anymore.

I turn on my PS3 and all i get is the screen that says

"Please connect the conroller with a USB cable, and press the PS button"

I do this and i get 4 flashing lights on the controller but the screen stays the same.

I have even tried to reset the controller by pressing the little button under the controller still noting.

Have tried 3 working controllers & 2 USB cables that all work on anther PS3 but not on mine.

PLEASE PLEASE someone help me figure this out. I can't use my freakin PS3 anymore.

Message 1 of 37 (56,301 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
901 posts

Re: Can I SYNC a PS3 Controller without the USB cable?

Mar 22, 2010

No

PS3 Transformer390 TransformerPSP Transformer
Message 2 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Mar 22, 2010

Seems like the problem is in your PS3. Try turning off the main power switch, connect one controller to one USB port, then turn on the main power again and fire up the PS3 with the controller connected. If not, try resetting the controllers and do the same procedure again. If nothing's working for you, then I'm afraid you bluetooth transceiver might have gone bad. Has your PS3 been opened yet?

Message 3 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Mar 23, 2010

MilroT wrote:

Seems like the problem is in your PS3. Try turning off the main power switch, connect one controller to one USB port, then turn on the main power again and fire up the PS3 with the controller connected. If not, try resetting the controllers and do the same procedure again. If nothing's working for you, then I'm afraid you bluetooth transceiver might have gone bad. Has your PS3 been opened yet?

I have tired all the above but still same problem.

I actually just opened up the caseing and took it apart........so what is the actual problem on the motherboard?

Is there a picture of the bluetooth transceiver on the 80GB model that i can buy and replace? i saw 1 thing that is hookup with an small antenna cable onto the board but i belive thats the wireless card but not sure.

Please let me know.

Message 4 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Mar 23, 2010

Actually, that's the bluetooth transceiver card. On the 60GB models the wireless is built into that card, but in the 80s it's solely bluetooth I believe. Try opening your system again, remove your power supply and recheck the ribbon cable connection to the motherboard, you might have a bad connection there. I'm pretty damned sure your problem resides in your bluetooth transceiver. If it's well connected (inserted flat and level into the receptacle and clamped in tightly) then you might have damaged it with static discharge from your hands or broken one of the tracks on the ribbon cable when you first took it apart. So much for static discharging bracelets...

Anyway, keep us posted. You can PM me if needed. Good luck.

Message 5 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Mar 23, 2010

I searched on fleabay for a PS3 Bluetooth card. I found the board but the sellers says it works on 40GB & 80GB units.....i looked at my motherboard & noticed that the card that is listed wont work because i have 1 soild mother board......unlike the 60GB version where it has a seperate wireless/bluetooth board.

So am i screwed now??

Message 6 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Mar 23, 2010

This was the very first time the 80GB unit was taken apart. It has never been taken apart before.

I took it apart now so i can see if i can fix the problem i am currently have now with the controllers not SYNC up to the console.

Message 7 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Mar 23, 2010

OK heres the thing.

This 80GB PS3 console that I have was never opened before.

The only reason why i opened it right now is because i am having probelms with the sync to the controllers.

There is only 1 ribbon cable in the entire 80GB board and the is a small thin maybe 1/2 wide ribbon cable connected to the blue-ray drive......there are NO other ribbon cables but 1. the only other cable is 1 antenna looking cable all the rest are power cables.

I took a picutre of what i think is the bluetooth board picture below. Is this the board? If it is its connected with a tiny looking antenna cable directly onto the mother board

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr259/Bimmermoe/th_P1020938.jpg>

Message 8 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Mar 23, 2010

On the 20GBs you have the usb and bluetooth-only model, on the rest of them it's the integrated wireless network, usb and bluetooth board. Try and do what I told you, open your PS3 and check for bad ribbon cable connection, it can come loose when reassembling if not locked in place properly, also look for evident ribbon cable damage! Then, after that's done and if was of no help, we'll go back to the replacement board.

EDIT: My bad, just mistook some models here. All corrected now. Oh, and please take your time to look up the board model/part number while you do it.

Message 9 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Mar 23, 2010

Yep, thaaat's the one. It also controls and resides the USB ports and the wifi connection.

I believe the problem resides in that baby. A new board costs around $25 bucks. Try looking up the model number on yours and we'll see if we can find one online. Can't really trust the sellers on the internet.

It should be something like UWB-XXX

Message 10 of 37 (56,300 Views)
0 Likes