Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 03 2009
By: MrDove Lombax Warrior 178 posts

Best file format for streaming movies from my PC to my PS3?

4 replies 2860 views Edited Feb 3, 2009

I'll be using Tversity to stream some of my movies directly to my PS3.  This will be a great way to keep my original discs from getting damaged from being handled so much.  I'm curious what file format I should put the files into.  AVI is kind of the standard for me but it has been around for a long time.  Is there another format that might be better for this application?

With the price of 1TB drives so low I'm kind of hoping that I can archive my entire movie collection on my PC but that will depend on the size of the files.  What is a good file size for streaming to a TV?  Something that looks good on my 20" monitor might not look so good on my 37" TV.

Message 1 of 5 (2,860 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Re: Best file format for streaming movies from my PC to my PS3?

Feb 15, 2009

MrDove wrote:

I'll be using Tversity to stream some of my movies directly to my PS3.  This will be a great way to keep my original discs from getting damaged from being handled so much.  I'm curious what file format I should put the files into.  AVI is kind of the standard for me but it has been around for a long time.  Is there another format that might be better for this application?

With the price of 1TB drives so low I'm kind of hoping that I can archive my entire movie collection on my PC but that will depend on the size of the files.  What is a good file size for streaming to a TV?  Something that looks good on my 20" monitor might not look so good on my 37" TV.

While most people would vote for MP4 format (which contains H.264 video and AAC audio), I find a lot of stuttering while streaming this to my PS3. This is mostly a PS3 bug but they haven't fixed it in a long long time. I'm experimenting other formats now, and the best I've seen so far is Transport Stream (TS) container with H.264 video and AC3/MP3 audio. I couldn't get PS3 to play the TS file if I use AAC audio, so I had to settle for MP3 (if I care about file size) or AC3 (takes up space). So I'd say, if you have a movie that has good audio effects, put it into a TS file with H264 video and AAC audio. If it is a movie with not much audio effects (you just need to hear the dialogs), go for TS with H264 and MP3 to save some space.

Message 2 of 5 (2,860 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
693 posts

Feb 15, 2009

KokkiKumar wrote:

MrDove wrote:

While most people would vote for MP4 format (which contains H.264 video and AAC audio), I find a lot of stuttering while streaming this to my PS3. This is mostly a PS3 bug but they haven't fixed it in a long long time. I'm experimenting other formats now, and the best I've seen so far is Transport Stream (TS) container with H.264 video and AC3/MP3 audio. I couldn't get PS3 to play the TS file if I use AAC audio, so I had to settle for MP3 (if I care about file size) or AC3 (takes up space). So I'd say, if you have a movie that has good audio effects, put it into a TS file with H264 video and AAC audio. If it is a movie with not much audio effects (you just need to hear the dialogs), go for TS with H264 and MP3 to save some space.

I dont notice any issues with that format and im using ps3 media server i would recommend using Core avc codec to decode the H.264 streams its the fastest decoder on the market.

"46&2 is just ahead of me..."
Message 3 of 5 (2,860 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 15, 2009

x-DeAd_SiLeNt-x wrote:

I dont notice any issues with that format and im using ps3 media server i would recommend using Core avc codec to decode the H.264 streams its the fastest decoder on the market.

Not sure if I understand, why would you want your media server to decode the video with core avc, when PS3 can do it in hardware? You can certainly have the transcoder running, but the 'best format for PS3 streaming' would probably be something that can be natively decoded by PS3, so that operations like fast fwd and rewind can happen faster. 

Message 4 of 5 (2,860 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Feb 15, 2009

KokkiKumar wrote:

x-DeAd_SiLeNt-x wrote:

Not sure if I understand, why would you want your media server to decode the video with core avc, when PS3 can do it in hardware? You can certainly have the transcoder running, but the 'best format for PS3 streaming' would probably be something that can be natively decoded by PS3, so that operations like fast fwd and rewind can happen faster. 

And if at all you think core avc can do it faster than the hardware, I'd like to know if TVersity media server can be configured to use it. Any idea? 

Message 5 of 5 (2,860 Views)
0 Likes