Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 22 2009
By: Robert-Ninja Splicer 93 posts

Backup Utility Failing - "The USB device cannot be accessed."

4 replies 2879 views Edited Oct 22, 2009

I'm trying to backup my data onto a 60 gig SAMSUNG external Hard Drive. It displays the error message "The USB device cannot be accessed." when it reached a certain percent. After re-formatting the External Hard Drive (to FAT32, yes) it now displays the message instantly when the backup utility begins to transfer data, after the preparing and counting phase.

Please help I'm completely stuck - I've looked all over the net and cannot find any answer at all.

Message Edited by Robert-Ninja on 10-22-2009 05:03 AM
Message 1 of 5 (2,879 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: Backup Utility Failing - "The USB device cannot be accessed."

Nov 20, 2009

I bought a Seagate Freeagent Go 500 GB portable USB HD recently for PS3 backups.  I experienced the same error "USB device cannot be accessed" during PS3 backup (at 37% complete).  This happened twice.

I read somewhere that the PS3 USB ports don't provide enough power for external USB HDs that are powered through the USB bus.  I have the Seagate dock for the HD that has two USB cables (one is for power).  I plugged the dock into the PS3 and then retried the backup.  It completed successfully.

Maybe Samsung provides a similar solution for your HD.  Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5 (2,879 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 15, 2010

I recently experienced the "USB device cannot be accessed" failure again.  It was failing everytime at about 30% of the backup (about 40 GB). Using the Seagate Manager (Windows utility from Seagate), I turned off the hard drive's LEDs and power management.  This seemed to fix the problem.

Message 3 of 5 (2,879 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 22, 2011

I just bought a seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500GB USB 2.0 Plug-and-play. I reformatted to FAT32, added these folders, Picture, Music, Video, and Game. When I go to the XMB screen and select the respectful icon, Picture, Music, Video and Game, I see my USB device. When I try to copy a game into the folder it trys, but then gives me the same error message (8001003A). What and how should I start to trouble shoot or anything plaese and thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 5 (2,879 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 22, 2011

I just got done troubleshooting it myself.  I went back into the external hd and created a folder and named it PS3 then added the other folders to it and it works wonderfully. Awsome:smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 5 (2,879 Views)
0 Likes