Nov 03 2010
By: KINGDANGER Sackboy 636 posts

Actiontec PK5000 & Media Server issue

10 replies 355 views Edited Nov 3, 2010

Please help, I've been streaming media from WMP to PS3 for years but recently upgraded my modem from 2Wire87 to an Actiontec PK5000. Now both PS3s are unable to locate media servers. Any advice?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
636 posts

Re: Actiontec PK5000 & Media Server issue

Nov 7, 2010

?

KINGDANGER wrote:

Please help, I've been streaming media from WMP to PS3 for years but recently upgraded my modem from 2Wire87 to an Actiontec PK5000. Now both PS3s are unable to locate media servers. Any advice?

?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Nov 7, 2010

wmp is carp. who knows why it stopped for you. ive had the same router for years now and wmp appears some days, and somedays it doesnt.

try the ps3media server http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

way easier to use, reliable, and plays all file types (unlike wmp)

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
636 posts

Nov 7, 2010

Chingkwee wrote:

wmp is carp. who knows why it stopped for you. ive had the same router for years now and wmp appears some days, and somedays it doesnt.

Yes, I would like to try that media server out, I agree WMP is craptastic, but the issue right now is I'm unable to locate any media server due to the Actiontec.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Nov 7, 2010

KINGDANGER wrote:

Chingkwee wrote:

Yes, I would like to try that media server out, I agree WMP is craptastic, but the issue right now is I'm unable to locate any media server due to the Actiontec.

download and install the ps3mediasever on your pc, then with your ps3 on, start the ps3ms. i gaurentee it will find it no matter what router you're using.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Nov 7, 2010

that actiontec thing is a modem/router combo isnt it? if its just a modem, then you need to buy a router

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
700 posts

Nov 8, 2010

KINGDANGER wrote:

Hi General Kingdanger

Unfortunately there is a known issue with wireless support for media sharing  of any kind on this router. A wired ethernet connection will work though. A post back in March said that tech support  was aware of the issue and was working on a firmware release to fix the issue. You might check the date/version of your firmware to see if you have the latest, and if its more recent than Mar 2010.

If you do have updated firmware, check to see if UPNP is ON. If not turn it on and look for ur media servers then. If UPNP was OFF,  A reboot might be required for all devices before the changes will take effect on the network.

Off Topic: If you have an old computer laying around somewhere, another alternate and super awesome media server you might want to try is VortexBox Media Server .  Its free, open source, and the community support is great.  Once Vortexbox is loaded, you dont need a monitor or any other peripherals hooked up, you can just access it from any web browser to manage everything.  My favorite part is how I just fed it my entire CD collection...now ALL my favorite classics are just a click away from any PC in my house or my PS3. As a full media server, it also supports Pictures and Videos. If you have a big enough harddrive you can even load up some of your favorite movies to have on tap from anywhere.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
700 posts

Nov 8, 2010

Hey, I just noticed you posted in the "General" section of the PS3 forums, hehe.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
636 posts

Nov 8, 2010

yes, it's a modem/router and ps3media server did not work, thanks though.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 28, 2011

Gaussian is correct, I just fixed this problem. I had the same router and problem you did Kingdanger. I exhausted all possibilities all the while in the back of my head feeling this must be a network issue, so I went out and bought a netgear dgn2200 router for my dsl and within miinutes everything was working fine with the out of the box configuration....no opening ports, not turning off the firewall, etc. The PK5000 would work if everything was wired, but not many people have that set up anymore for all of their devices, as Gaussian pointed out the issue is on the wireless side.

Hope the helps! Sucks to have to buy a new router, but it completely solved all problems!

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (355 Views)
0 Likes