Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 07 2012
By: THE_TERRORIZER First Son 21 posts

"The system software cannot run correctly..."?

4 replies 282 views Edited Nov 7, 2012

Hey guys. About a week ago I posted on here about a file system restore loop that I became stuck in with my ps3''s hdd, and now I think I've reached the end of the road with this hard drive.

I've ran my ps3's hard drive through several SeaTools tests to try to repair data on bad sectors, or whatever it does exactly, and I eventually put my hdd back into the PS3 earlier today.

I got a new error message that I have never seen before:

"The system software cannot run correctly......

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software...."

SO, my question is, if I reformat JUST the system partition of the hard disk, will I lose my 5100+ hours of game saves?

I don't know if "system partition" refers to just a certain partition containing the ps3's OS, or if it means formatting the hard drive and losing everything.

Also, the error says you "MAY" lose all your data. Come on man, I cannot proceed with an error that's like "Yeah, we'll fix your ps3, but you MAY lose every godforsaken game you/your family has played since 2008"

Plus, no, I do not have a backup of my gamesaves. Like an **bleep**, I deleted my backup a couple weeks ago to copy over some music files to a computer. -_-

If you're still reading, I appreciate you reading this far. But seriously, if there is anything I can do, any amount of money I can pay to retrieve my game saves (if they aren't already gone), I would really appreciate you letting me know.

I don't want to lose all this data. And I REALLY don't want to disappoint my little brother who plays his GTA IV like every day he gets out of high school.

Thanks.

~Austin

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (282 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: "The system software cannot run correctly..."?

Dec 16, 2012

I've been having the same problem since the 4.31 update.  I've tried restoring the file system and resetting the system back to default but neither helped.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (242 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13748 posts

Dec 17, 2012

There is no System partition, and it wouldn't matter if there was.  You have no control at all over how the PS3 hard drive is formatted. The PS3 formats its hard drive using a proprietary encrypted format. The format can't be read, or repaired, by any PC software. Attempting to do so won't make things better. The error message that you got about the system software not being able to run correctly was the direct result of your attempt to repair the hard disk drive with a PC.  Now the PS3 won't even try to restore the file system. If the file system restore utility in the PS3 firmware could not repair the corrupted data (it could not, if the error kept coming up), then all of the data on the hard drive is unrecoverable.  There are no other options.  As with all encrypted data, if it is corrupted beyond repair, then it is all irretrievably lost unless a backup exists.  Just forget about the data, and move on.  It's gone for good.

Deleting your only backup to use the backup drive for something else wasn't a wise idea, but you probably already figured that out. There is nothing to be done about it now.  Without a backup, you have lost everything. 

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (230 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13748 posts

Dec 17, 2012

WolfinSTL wrote:

I've been having the same problem since the 4.31 update.  I've tried restoring the file system and resetting the system back to default but neither helped.

If restoring the file system does not work, then the only thing that you can do is to boot the PS3 in safe mode, and use the Restore PS3 System option.  Any data on the hard drive that isn't backed up will be lost, but at least your PS3 will work again.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Dec 17, 2012

This gentleman is asking the right questions.  

Save your data often.  PlayStation Plus does this by utilizing the cloud (I've seen a lot of expensive software use the cloud) and it's designed to be unobtrusive.  All your game saves are backed up online, every day.   What a deal.  The overall effect is, you won't ever lose even a minute of your game saves, and your game saves can also be used by another PS3 just by logging in.  

This is how far they've come to protect everyone's data and entertainment, without costing you an arm and a leg.

Some people rough it out the old way, and back up manually, but that can't really be fun.  PlayStation Plus keeps you in the game.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (227 Views)
0 Likes