Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 08 2012
By: cheezymunkay First Son 1 posts

"The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored" ????

30 replies 49045 views Edited Dec 8, 2012

I have an Assasin's Creed 3 500gb PS3.  Got it to replace my original Ps3 that I never had a prblem with it.  This one just seems to constantly have issues.  The last time I turned it on it told me "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored" I have no option but to select ok.  Once I do this it gets to about 28% then stops.  Usually after a long time it finishes and then 'restarts" which means the screen goes black for about 20 minutes then loads back up the same screen it was before.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 31 (49,045 Views)
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Re: "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored" ????

Dec 8, 2012

cheezymunkay wrote:

I have an Assasin's Creed 3 500gb PS3.  Got it to replace my original Ps3 that I never had a prblem with it.  This one just seems to constantly have issues.  The last time I turned it on it told me "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored" I have no option but to select ok.  Once I do this it gets to about 28% then stops.  Usually after a long time it finishes and then 'restarts" which means the screen goes black for about 20 minutes then loads back up the same screen it was before.

If your PS3 is still under warrenty return it for another one. But if its not, Try formatting your HDD. You'll have to go into Safe Mode to do it.

Activating Safe Mode

Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.

Step 2:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).

Step 3:

1. Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on.
  2. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset.
  3. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep.  At that point release the Power button.  If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, "Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button."

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 31 (49,033 Views)
MVP Support
14459 posts

Re: "The file system on the system storage is corrupted and will be restored" ????

Dec 9, 2012

You have to boot the PS3 in Safe Mode, and then use option 5; Restore PS3 System.  That is the only way to recover from corrupted hard disk data.  Assuming that the hard drive is fine mechanically, that is all that you should need to do.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 31 (49,026 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Dec 10, 2012

When HDD is formatted, how do we restore the file system?  From DVD?  How do I get one?  I'm having the same problem with my unit...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 31 (48,986 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14459 posts

Dec 11, 2012

The PS3 firmware will recreate the file system automatically after the drive is formatted.  The System software has to be downloaded from this web site, and then stored on a FAT32-formatted USB storage device (most people use a flash drive), in the PS3\UPDATE folder. It is the same process as updating the PS3 via PC.  The directions are here...

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 31 (48,979 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 12, 2012

The information provided worked perfectly.  My unit is up and running again... Can not thank you enough!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 31 (48,954 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 15, 2012
I just bought a PS3 off CraigsList last night for myself for Christmas. I wanted a new one, but tight on cash. The guy showed me it working and everything prior to me giving him the money. So upon seeing it working properly I bought it. Now I guess he switched out the Hard Drive and replaced the 320GB with a 500GB. I got home with it and hooked it up and everything. Seeing it was used, I wanted to do a restore (format) on it so basically it'd be back to factory settings. Then I could set everything up the way I wanted it to be. I went under System Settings and seen that the "FULL" option would take about 28 hrs!!! Why so long, I have no idea. So I did the "QUICK" version and it didn't take long at all. Set everything up (settings, etc ...) but upon putting in my just bought brand new copy of Need for Speed Most Wanted, the game loaded and then FROZE!!! I ended up unplugging it cause I couldn't get it to shut off with the power button. Upon turning it back on, I got the not so wonderful "File System is Corrupted and Will Be Restored" message. All at once I thought "Great, just spent the last of my money on a **bleep**" ...but I went ahead and clicked "OK" cause that's all you can do. Well, needless to say, it's been about almost 13 hrs now and it's now at 43% with the Restore. I've been checking it periodically and it IS still moving along ...just taking forever it seems. I'm hoping and praying that it will fix itself even if it takes til tmrw. Everything I've read online says it typically can take quite awhile depending on the size of your Hard Drive. I'm just trying to see if anyone can give me a little bit of confirmation that it is in fact normal for it to be taking this long. Again, it isn't stuck on 43% ...it is still going, just taking time. Never had this problem with my 160GB so just new to me. If anyone can give me any insight I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much ...
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 31 (48,919 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14459 posts

Dec 15, 2012

A full format can take a while because the PS3 tests each block of storage on the hard drive to make sure that it isn't defective, and marks the failed ones as used so nothing gets stored on them.  The quick format just creates new file system data structures, but doesn't test any of the media.  If you are having problems with the drive then a full format would be advised.  The time estimates for disk operations aren't accurate, but if it really takes 28 hours, and the restore operation does not complete at all, then I would guess that the hard disk drive is bad and you will have to replace it.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 31 (48,914 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 16, 2012

If I do this will I lose my PS3 save games?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 31 (48,897 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
14459 posts

Dec 17, 2012

Yes, but if the restore file system option didn't work, then your save data is effectively gone already. 

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 31 (48,884 Views)
0 Likes