Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 10 2010
By: Caemgen I Only Post Everything 813 posts

"Press the PS-button to read this message now"

60 replies 176 views Edited Mar 10, 2010

As most of you know, games like Modern Warfare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 use the XMB's new invite system to let players join eachothers games/lobby.

This is a great system, though it can be annoying because of the (often) slow in-game XMB and the time it takes to get to a message you've received.

When a message notification pops up, you can't read it immediately. You need to go from wherever you were the last time you've entered the in-game XMB to your message inbox by scrolling through the menu items...

The same goes for Trophies. Sometimes you unlock a Trophy, but have no clue what it's for. So, you want to read the description of that Trophy. But you can't. Just like with received messages, you have to open up the in-game XMB and scroll through all the menu items to get there...

This could be so much easier and quicker by enabling the user to press the PS-button when a notification appears, and then take him/her to the message/trophy right away. (Note that, of course, once the notification dissapears, pressing the PS-button will take you to the regular menu again)

By creating this thread and by posting the 'illustration' I've made below, I hope someone from Sony will pick this up so it can be incorporated in a future Firmware update. Click on it to view it in full-res:

Message 1 of 61 (176 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
337 posts

Re: "Press the PS-button to read this message now"

Mar 10, 2010

This is not xbox.

Message 2 of 61 (176 Views)
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Mar 10, 2010

AdorableNirvash wrote:

This is not xbox.

Wait...

So what?

Message 3 of 61 (176 Views)
Fender Bender
4741 posts

Mar 10, 2010

There are plenty of better things (many many on this board) that Sony should add or implement, but Sony will simply not blatantly rip off XLive, no matter how essential to streamlining the PSN it could be, they have to be different, to the betamax death of them.

3 years for a clock function.

Message 4 of 61 (176 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Mar 10, 2010

SpiderX wrote:

There are plenty of better things (many many on this board) that Sony should add or implement, but Sony will simply not blatantly rip off XLive, no matter how essential to streamlining the PSN it could be, they have to be different, to the betamax death of them.

3 years for a clock function.

Sometimes it does feel like that. You're right.

But I have a feeling they have become more aware of what's important to people. They've taken the first steps with the new information-bar, the revamped friendlist and the cross-game invite/join-system.

Message 5 of 61 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Mar 10, 2010

i like the idea up to the point you get shot in the face because you didn't see the guy standing behind that huge ass "PRESS DA BUTTON!"

so get rid of that part of it, and i think it's a great idea.

Message 6 of 61 (176 Views)
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Mar 10, 2010

I personally LOVE THIS IDEA!

And I love The Editing!

I've had this problem MANY MANY times and I find it quite annoying.

1:You have to click the ps3 Middle Button

2:You have to wait for the XMB to stop lagging

3:smileyfrustrated:croll To the Friends list

4:smileyfrustrated:croll down towards messages

5:Click messages

6:reply to message

7:exit out of XMB

Your 1 idea would replace these 7 and make it 10x easier.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 61 (176 Views)
I Only Post Everything
813 posts

Mar 10, 2010

irishyardball wrote:

i like the idea up to the point you get shot in the face because you didn't see the guy standing behind that huge ass "PRESS DA BUTTON!"

so get rid of that part of it, and i think it's a great idea.

Well, I just did a quick sketch, the size of the notification is up to the designers at Sony.

The current notification isn't that big either... This would only take a few vertical pixels more. Not a big deal, really.

Message 8 of 61 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Mar 10, 2010

oh the notification size was fine, it was the third frame, but maybe that was just an animation you added and not what you intended for the actual design.

Message 9 of 61 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5102 posts

Mar 10, 2010

for messages, that would be great, but for an invite, how about just pressing the ps button would immediately put you into the senders game/lobby?

Message 10 of 61 (176 Views)
0 Likes