Tried this and no dice.
Please use plain text.
Message 131 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: ps3 update 3.40 problem

Jul 14, 2010

Not sure if I am grasping at straws, but my wife dusted the PS3 with a small swiffer earlier in the night before I found the no sound issue.  (Yeah I chewed her a new one for that).  I can't imagine this would do much.  Anyone??

My last stop is Onkyo.  I'll call them tomorrow and rule out wether it is my reciever or the PS3.  If it's the ps3, then off to Wal-Mart I go Friday for a new one.  Damn I miss playing Red Dead!!

Please use plain text.
Message 132 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2437 posts

Jul 14, 2010

darth_kalaban wrote:
Thanks for the help, but I tried your suggestion without effect.

in that case go to audio settings and use auto - it could be that update has selected kind of audio that is not supported by your receiver.

Please use plain text.
Message 133 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2437 posts

Jul 14, 2010

NutsKyle wrote:
Hi

When after i formatted the hdd i scanned it for bad sectors and errors and it came back fine.

xBarbarian What do you mean in the recovery menu not pc?.

Has any body had it solved by using safe mode?

this is fine to scan if for bad sectors - but the HDD needs to be formatted to PS3 file system. You could format it from recovery menu.

PS3 actually should recognize that HDD has incorrect file system and format it automatically - it should ask if you like to initialize drive or something like that

Please use plain text.
Message 134 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 15, 2010

Just a quick update:

I tried 3 different HDMI cables, checked all the settings, did the hold the power button beep # of time thing and everything else I've seen on the web with no luck.  It;s off to Amazon or Wal-Mart for a new 120 gb on Friday

Please use plain text.
Message 135 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 15, 2010

They should just downgrade everyone. Mine isn't working at all. None of my online games work and it takes hours for my friend list and messages. Plus before the F****** Update my internet was fine down where my PS3 is. It used to work at 40% now since the Update nothing works and my internet on it went from 40%-50% to 15%-20%. They could call the old software 3.41 and pretend its an update while its actually a downgrade.

Please use plain text.
Message 136 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3221 posts

Jul 15, 2010

cointrain101 wrote:
Plus before the F****** Update my internet was fine down where my PS3 is. It used to work at 40% now since the Update nothing works and my internet on it went from 40%-50% to 15%-20%.

Blaming the update for lower wifi signal strengths? That's a new one.

Game 1: Giants 11-7 Rangers       Game 4: Giants 4-0 Rangers            GIANTS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!
Game 2: Giants 9-0 Rangers         Game 5: Giants 3-1 Rangers                             2010 Champs!
Game 3: Rangers 4-2 Giants
Go Giants!

PyrrhusRex Trophy Card

| Uncharted 2 Stats | Learn to Google |

Modern War Gear Solid

Please use plain text.
Message 137 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

sound pbms - plug direct in TV, select 2ch formats only

Jul 15, 2010
Please use plain text.
Message 138 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: sound pbms - plug direct in TV, select 2ch formats only

Jul 15, 2010

This doesn't help when all my sound goes through a receiver.  For diagnostics maybe, but in reality - I need my system to work with my receiver which it has always done. 

Please use plain text.
Message 139 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 15, 2010

(I am not reading 14 pages of stuff, so if this has already been dealt with...then deal.)

Originally updated to 3.40, everything seemed fine. Tested it a bit, downloaded the new software stuff, and I breathed a sigh of relief that for the first time in over a year something didn't mess up my 80GB Fat PS3.  (long story, but I am now on my third one...)

The next day the wife wanted to watch True Blood on Blu-ray. Not an issue, so we popped it in. Screen went to green; figured it was the stupid HDCP crap so reset the PS3. (this happens time to time.) Came up and the PS3 wanted to "restore" itself. Not much choice there so I went through it. Luckily it saved the two user accounts and all game saves.  (I have lost so many games saves because of faulty YLoD PS3s. Yeah, yeah, I know..backup.)

Everything seemed to be fine until I went to enter the PSN user name and password. Got to the point of entering the user name, hit the first letter and the whole machine froze. Rebooted, same thing. This has been going on since the update.

Sony online support just sucks, emailing the usual canned responses and "format or send for service". I just got this replacement less than four months ago, I shouldn't have to send it back for repair because of a firmware update!

So I ended up doing the nuke and pave after doing a backup. Still didn't work when entering the PSN info. Now I wish I hadn't done the nuke and pave as I just figured out the fix, and I should have figured it out a long time ago: use a damned keyboard.

Seriously, if you use the DualShock 3 when you have this issue the machine will keep on freezing. Plug in a USB Keyboard? Everything works just fine. 

Thanks, Sony, for putting out another update that screws one thing up royally and needs a "third party peripheral" to fix it. I wonder how many families have opted to send their machines in for repair, or buy a new Slim, because of this issue? Money in the bank.

Please use plain text.
Message 140 of 164 (2 Views)
0 Likes