Aug 02 2011
By: gilljatt0 First Son 1 posts

ps3 red screen

35 replies 22859 views Edited Aug 2, 2011

Not sure whats going on with my ps3 it was working fine until i turn it on again a red screen pops up with text written in all kind of language in english it says "A serious error has occurred. Contact technical support for assistance". Pls help me, Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 36 (22,859 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Re: ps3 red screen

Aug 2, 2011

If you can access the recovery menu, use option 6. System Update. Download the current firmware (link is near the bottom right corner of theis page) onto a USB flash drive. Insert the USB flash drive into your PS3, use the recovery menu (hold down power button until light returns red, then hold it down again until you hear a triple beep), use System Update and follow the on screen instructions to reinstall the firmware. This usually resolves this issue, but if it doesn't or if something occurs such as getting stuck with an error code while reinstalling the firmware, let us know.

as12365b Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 36 (22,859 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

Aug 2, 2011

as12365b wrote:

If you can access the recovery menu, use option 6. System Update. Download the current firmware (link is near the bottom right corner of theis page) onto a USB flash drive. Insert the USB flash drive into your PS3, use the recovery menu (hold down power button until light returns red, then hold it down again until you hear a triple beep), use System Update and follow the on screen instructions to reinstall the firmware. This usually resolves this issue, but if it doesn't or if something occurs such as getting stuck with an error code while reinstalling the firmware, let us know.

as12365b Trophy Card

This is good advice normally but the "Red Screen of Death" is an entirely different animal that only Sony can deal with from what I've heard. There is a "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

Aug 2, 2011

I though it was a "catastrophic system error" and could only be dealt with by Sony because you can't access the XMB or safe mode.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16286 posts

Aug 2, 2011

shogun00 wrote:

ne1atall wrote:

I though it was a "catastrophic system error" and could only be dealt with by Sony because you can't access the XMB or safe mode.

Photobucket

If it's number 3, then yes. However, the first 2 can through off the OS and it'll generate the message.

It's a common message on the PSP and it's almost always faulty firmware that's to blame.

My cousin got the same red screen on his PS3 (80GB) and I took a look at it. I was able to access Safe Mode without any problems, that's because Safe Mode runs through the bios and not the OS. I was able to reinstall the firmware, but as soon as it tries to start up the hard drive, the red screen appeared again. He replaced the hard drive and it fixed the problem. 

I guess I can leave the forums for today I learned something new already. I was under the impression that the RSoD was an automatic death sentence. Good to know there is hope.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Aug 2, 2011

Thanks for the second cause you listed. I didn't know that a red screen can come up if the hard drive is faulty. Last time I checked, the system software cannot be run correctly is the only thing that can come up in that senerio.

as12365b Trophy Card
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Aug 9, 2011

I would have to say that this is in fact some type of system or hardware malfunction. These things can be fixed very easily, with no need to have Sony or any other third parties overcharge you for repair. There are various methods in dealing with issues such as this. I too had my ps3 screw up on me not to long ago and I was able to fix it the same day. If want it fixed through the best methods you should do as I did and purchase a professionally develop repair guide and fix the issue yourself.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
436 posts

Aug 9, 2011

weirdest thing ive heard in awhile i would contact sony

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3314 posts

Aug 9, 2011

ne1atall wrote:

Photobucket

If it's number 3, then yes. However, the first 2 can throw off the OS and make it generate the message.

It's a common message on the PSP and it's almost always faulty firmware that's to blame.

My cousin got the same red screen on his PS3 (80GB) and I took a look at it. I was able to access Safe Mode without any problems, that's because Safe Mode runs through the bios and not the OS. I was able to reinstall the firmware, but as soon as it tries to start up the hard drive, the red screen appeared again. He replaced the hard drive and it fixed the problem. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3314 posts

Aug 9, 2011

as12365b wrote:

Thanks for the second cause you listed. I didn't know that a red screen can come up if the hard drive is faulty. Last time I checked, the system software cannot be run correctly is the only thing that can come up in that senerio.

as12365b Trophy Card

Some of the system software is stored on the hard drive (especially on the slims). To be more precise, the PS3 uses a piece the hard drive for extra memory for the OS. If that portion goes bad, then it could definitely generate the error, since the OS is able to detect that something is wrong.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 36 (22,859 Views)
0 Likes