Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Splicer
57 posts

Re: pirating = bad? Stealing from customer = good?

Apr 2, 2010

All the pretentious lawyer wannabe **bleep**bags in here are worse than actually losing linux.

Seriously if you didn't use it, good for you, go do something else.

They sold us a machine that could run Linux and then took linux away. If its not illegal its at least crooked as hell. Sony deserves all the grief in the world from this and I dont need some self righteous keyboard warrior telling me I paid for plastic, metal, and glass... Sony can erase the system menu tomorrow if they want.

Sony advertises a system that "only does everything" They have wronged me and I dont care if you think its legal.

Couldn't they legally "change" the FW to remove Blu-ray playback or force you to download a file from the PSN store to "activate" Blu-ray playback? Would you Sony-goons defend that as well?

Message 51 of 56 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Apr 3, 2010

This Agreement applies to software, content and access to software and content provided through or in connection with PSN, including via the PlayStation®Store and virtual communities, whether delivered onto the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, a personal computer or otherwise. Such access, software, and content include subscriptions, data, system software, fixes, updates or newer releases and related materials.

If you accept this Agreement, you are subject to its terms and all other agreements that you have entered into in connection with PSN. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use PSN in any way for any commercial purpose, (ii) in any way that violates the law or the community code of conduct, or (iii) in any way that harms or has the potential to harm SCEA, its parent company, or any affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors, providers, partners of SCEA or its parent company, and users. You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware or software to access or use PSN or any content provided on or through PSN.

mojarro1
Message 52 of 56 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Apr 3, 2010

mojarro1 wrote:

This Agreement applies to software, content and access to software and content provided through or in connection with PSN, including via the PlayStation®Store and virtual communities, whether delivered onto the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, a personal computer or otherwise. Such access, software, and content include subscriptions, data, system software, fixes, updates or newer releases and related materials.

If you accept this Agreement, you are subject to its terms and all other agreements that you have entered into in connection with PSN. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use PSN in any way for any commercial purpose, (ii) in any way that violates the law or the community code of conduct, or (iii) in any way that harms or has the potential to harm SCEA, its parent company, or any affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors, providers, partners of SCEA or its parent company, and users. You agree that you will not use any unauthorized hardware or software to access or use PSN or any content provided on or through PSN.

Do you work for sony or something?  Why are you taking the time to come in here and tell us that we should just shrug our shoulders and sigh when sony removes a long-promised feature that was recently reaffirmed to never be removed by a future firmware update?  Why do people come in here and tell people with valid complaints that they should just shut up and stop complaining.

"After all you signed some stupid agreement that took all of your consumer rights away, blah blah blah they can make you do anything they want, blah blah blah, they are not really making you do anything, blah blah blah you don't have a valid point, blah blah blah sony can take away anything it wants at any time because they put in the stupid agreement, blah blah blah."

They are taking away a feature I and many other people use!  They act like I should have no choice in the matter.  Apparently they think they can take any feature they want at any time they want.

Message 53 of 56 (19 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11922 posts

Apr 3, 2010

It doesn't matter if "it's wrong" or not. SONY had to do this to protect us and their company from hackers. Simple as that. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the many lines of the Terms of Service there would be a paragraph explaining SONY has the right to alter any and all features that the PS3 offers.

In my opinion, this is a good thing. This way there is less of chance we see another hack on the scale of Code 9 or that flying hack back in COD4.

Message 54 of 56 (19 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1298 posts

Apr 3, 2010

xLord-Slothx wrote:

It doesn't matter if "it's wrong" or not. SONY had to do this to protect us and their company from hackers. Simple as that. I'm pretty sure somewhere in the many lines of the Terms of Service there would be a paragraph explaining SONY has the right to alter any and all features that the PS3 offers.

In my opinion, this is a good thing. This way there is less of chance we see another hack on the scale of Code 9 or that flying hack back in COD4.

Somehow this reminds me of the boogeyman under the bed kind of thinking where people would sit back and applaud as the government claims they are legally taking away liberties in the name of fighting "terrorism", or "the red threat". What Sony has done won't protect anyone from hackers. COD4 hacks occured without the use of  "Other OS". The simple as that mentality fails here. Many people have avoided the update and have returned to online play by using a method that is simple but might be too much trouble for some. And those who upgraded have just lost a feature. What was accomplished? Everything a company does is done because they feel it is within their rights until it is challenged, contracts get challeged all the time because they are simply lopsided in the abilities they offer one party, and sometimes the courts find in their favor. And Sony has had their share of legal troubles when they thought they had all their bases covered.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 55 of 56 (19 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Apr 3, 2010

This is the official stance of Sony, and I think it appropriate to post it here at this time:

"As you may be aware, due to the very nature of PlayStation 3, and the invaluable scope that system software updates provide, Sony has been able to continually enhance both the system functionality and associated features since the launch of PlayStation 3 over three years ago. The packaging for PlayStation 3 clearly states that "Design and specifications are subject to change without notice" to provide for these changes. Regrettably, this is a very rare instance where, unfortunately, we have had to disable some functionality in order to maintain PlayStation 3’s unparalleled system security."

source: Sony comments on user complaints

Sony apparently wants to limit the usual customer rights with a clear miniature label (size approx. 1 mm) which is concealed within hundreds of other hardly readable miniature labels on the packaging. Sony apparently does not recognize the principle of assured qualities at the time of a purchase and it claims the right to turn off arbitrary functions of devices after the purchase at any time.

Please let all customers know about this.

Kai - http://www.playedstation.net

Message 56 of 56 (19 Views)
0 Likes