Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 31 2013
By: eg6aaron First Son 3 posts

can i swap my old hdd into new ps3

4 replies 177 views Edited Jan 31, 2013

My fat ps3 finally got rlod i have a 500 gb hdd i just put in about a month ago. i got it to start again but when it goes to load it freezes. so i bought a used slim for $40 and they said it had a bad hard drive. It starts and you can play some games but it says corrupted data underneath the disc emblem. I was gonna swap my hdd anyway so i tried and it says system software cannot be run correctly. Someone told me once you install a hdd into a ps3 their married and cant be swapped to another ps3. I have my data saved to an external hard drive from about a month ago when i swapped it. Can i reformat it from safe menu and then re download from the external hard drive or anything like that please help.

Message 1 of 5 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: can i swap my old hdd into new ps3

Jan 31, 2013
you need to clone the hdd It is easy.Once the ps3 has a hdd it is married to the unit, but swapping is easy.Lots of vids on how to in youtube.
Message 2 of 5 (170 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

I just put the 500gb hdd in the fat one a month ago so i...

[ Edited ]
Jan 31, 2013

I just put the 500gb hdd in the fat one a month ago so i have the backup from then on my external hard drive but when i put it in the new slim i just wanna know if i can reformat from the safe mode menu to get it to work then download my data back to it from the external hard drive  I just need it to work first i if i have to download it back from the external drive thats no problem 

Message 3 of 5 (167 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16777 posts

Re: I just put the 500gb hdd in the fat one a month ago so i...

Jan 31, 2013

Sure.  All PS3s use the same hard drives.  If the hard drive in your old PS3 is larger than the one in your new PS3, then you can install your upgrade hard disk in the new PS3 also. You don't even need the Safe Mode menu.  The PS3 will detect that the drive was formatted in another console, and prompt you to format it again.

GKP
Message 4 of 5 (155 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: I just put the 500gb hdd in the fat one a month ago so i...

Jan 31, 2013

when i put the old hard drive in i get the sytem software cannot be run page

Message 5 of 5 (134 Views)
0 Likes