Nov 08 2012
By: petveedub First Son 4 posts

browser filter

13 replies 133 views Edited Nov 8, 2012

I'm sorry if I missed an answer to this question somewhere, but I looked and did not see one.  My pc is down and I've been using my PS3 for internet browsing for a while.  It worked fine up until about a week ago.  Internet search results now seem to be filtered.  Even going back and using the exact same search parameters I used before  ends with different results.  It seems a bit like parental controls, but I set them to off and still get the filtered results.  I also reset the system and that didn't help.  I haven't downloaded anything except updates, so what could be causing this.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 14 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4094 posts

Re: browser filter

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2012

The Search is run by Google, its a standard web site which they controll their end.

Your going to have to go to Normal www.Google.com in the browser and Turn all the filtering options OFF.. This will set a Cookie in the browser which the other search page will also obey..

asaasds

Use the cog icon to access search settings. You do not need an account.... the cookie will save...

snapshot6.png

Message 2 of 14 (122 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Thanks GraphiteGB.  I checked the google settings, and the filter was set to moderate.  However,  even after I set it to "do not filter...", I still end up with the same filtered search results.  I do have cookies enabled, and the ps3 parental controls are off.  The system is mine with my passwords, and my account.  Is there anything else anyone thinks I should try?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 14 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4094 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2012

Nope if the cookie trick don't work youll need to set the home page as google search. and use the homepage to search instead of the search icon

you can allways remove the words "high" in the search URL and replace them with "low" to do what the cookie should have done... 

&adsafe=high&safe=high&channel

Then becomes

&adsafe=low&safe=low&channel

but you have to do that each time you open search...

Other wise im out of ideas... for now

snapshot6.png

Message 4 of 14 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

Nov 8, 2012

petveedub wrote:

I'm sorry if I missed an answer to this question somewhere, but I looked and did not see one.  My pc is down and I've been using my PS3 for internet browsing for a while.  It worked fine up until about a week ago.  Internet search results now seem to be filtered.  Even going back and using the exact same search parameters I used before  ends with different results.  It seems a bit like parental controls, but I set them to off and still get the filtered results.  I also reset the system and that didn't help.  I haven't downloaded anything except updates, so what could be causing this.

Thanks for any help.

Same here, i think it has something to do with the latest update. Sony needs to get thr ish together.

Message 5 of 14 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4094 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Just Google messing with Ya way more likely...

Like the removal of the Normal Youtube page from USA PS3 browser that now needs a new link to navigate there. (see sig.)

Like Google requiring you to have a PC type browser to register an account and use the Companion app on PS3. (not stand alone but then the Apps never have been..) 

Like Google.... Moving the Search help tools from left side to the top of the page on PC browsers to mirror the tablets....

pic105.png

but keeping the PS3 template for the normal google on the left. Did not ask if i wanted it changed... Don't have to.. its there search engine...

snapshot6.png

Message 6 of 14 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

Nov 9, 2012

GraphiteGB wrote:

The Search is run by Google, its a standard web site which they controll their end.

Your going to have to go to Normal www.Google.com in the browser and Turn all the filtering options OFF.. This will set a Cookie in the browser which the other search page will also obey..

asaasds

Use the cog icon to access search settings. You do not need an account.... the cookie will save...

This does work best but I don't think this issue is something Google is responsible for after taking into consideration the recent Anon. attack and updates that have caused all kinds of issues.

Message 7 of 14 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4094 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Ive allready posted the direct changes to the URL from Google above.

Thats googles coding change...

but as before theres still no reason to have this Specific google for the PS3... 

snapshot6.png

Message 8 of 14 (75 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 10, 2012

My problem seems to be improved.  I checked for updates, and found the 4.31.  After I updated, the search results seem to be more normal.  I say more normal because the wikipedia result usually wasn't first, but after that they seem to be fairly standard.

So thanks again for the help, and the info that may come in handy in the future.

Message 9 of 14 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2200 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2012

petveedub wrote:

My problem seems to be improved.  I checked for updates, and found the 4.31.  After I updated, the search results seem to be more normal.  I say more normal because the wikipedia result usually wasn't first, but after that they seem to be fairly standard.

So thanks again for the help, and the info that may come in handy in the future.

Good news, I would have went looking for that update but heard it "voluntary" and useless to me but I guess I'll have to see for myself.

Message 10 of 14 (54 Views)
0 Likes