Fender Bender
4371 posts

Re: YouTube app - choppy video/audio

[ Edited ]
Sep 16, 2012

UBCBuckAnEar wrote:

I find the video always okay, but some of the clips have stuttering audio.  I am using the Slim 160GB model with a wired ethernet connection of about 12mbps download.  Crackle and Netflix work flawlessly, and a lot of PS3MS (media server) as well...

As an example, try going to the Music section:  If you play the Guns & Roses video, it starts to stutter after about half a minute.  

Guns and roses, november rain played all the way though, no audio glitches and you smeg head you have to leg it back to the contoller or bloody beaver starts singing. you smeg head. nobody would have tested this if you had posted that track was next.

Turn optical off and use HDMI only With PCM 2.1 audio only. no higher than 48khz to your TV. Is it gone. 

( Give it a go. It was allready reported on SCEE forums not to use optical with streaming apps. BBC sport app also won't stream content correctly. only mono not stereo or 5.1, so give HDMI only a go. ) 

snapshot6.png

Message 21 of 30 (1,235 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 18, 2012

No, it works for that video, but later on the video which played perfectly thru optical cable has choppy audio (perfect video though...)

I suspect that since I can already play videos in HDef and Dolby 5.1 thru PlayStationMediaServer on the PS3 that Sony's hardware intercepts audio that may have Digital Rights Management licensing issues, and gibbles up the audio deliberately.  If the CPU in the PS3 chokes badly enough it might interfere with the video stream as well in some machines.

Imagine Sony's dilemma:  they own Columbia records, for example.  Imagine someone uploading the entire almost 2 hour concert of the Three Tenors in Los Angeles.  Sony wants you to buy it on their cd label, but here it is free on YouTube in Dolby, and sometimes in HD video to boot!

Sony had the same problem trying to stop upconverting dvd players from  upconverting from 480i to 720p and 1080i from hitting the marketplace.  They sued everyone is sight that was making those players (unsuccessfully.)  Why?  You can play the upconverted videos side by side with BlueRay videos.  Sure, the BlueRay is -marginally- better.

Here in Canada, it is legal to copy stuff off of paytv for your own use, or to make a backup copy of a dvd that you own - again for you own use only.  Take a copied dvd of anything that Sony owns the right to, such as 'I Robot' and put it in the PS3 and it will royally screw up but  -not- on an LG or a Samsung dvd player.  I suspect rather strongly that it is DRM deliberately put in the PS3 software.

By the way, if you suspect your internet connection is too slow, just press 'X' on your controller during play and you will see how far ahead the stream is already put into the buffer....  It is buffered way far in the future!

Try PS3MediaServer to play thru the PS3,it has  lousy search on YouTube, but all in HD and Dolby.  And it is free software.

Cheers.  I would bet this issue won't get resolved.

Message 22 of 30 (1,218 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Figured it out! Go into Audio settings and turn off DTS 5.1, it then streams faultless audio by Dolby 5.1. Optical cable or HDMI both seem to be ok.
Message 23 of 30 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Oct 8, 2012
And if you find a choppy audio stream, reset it to just plain stereo
Message 24 of 30 (1,106 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 2, 2013
Hi, same problem here i had changed my ps3 HDD from 320 to 120 GB 5400RPM and the problem resolved. its HDD Issue...
Message 25 of 30 (621 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 2, 2013

Hi,

I had same issue with my ps3 and i changed my HDD from 320gb to 120GB 5400 RPM, and my problem resolved.

its HDD issue.

Message 26 of 30 (620 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Delete the youtube channel app, redownload it from the playstation store.  After that, it works fine for me.  Hope it works for you guys.

Message 27 of 30 (562 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Choppy on the super slim. I've seen it not work on two of them so far.
Message 28 of 30 (436 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2155 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 28, 2013

I tried the YouTube app on PS3 last night and it was absolutely terrible.  It took minutes just for the main page to load and when I would search for a video the entire app would just lag and stutter.  When I finally found the video I wanted to watch, again, I would wait for minutes only for the video to NOT play and skip to the next one on the list.

My PS3 is connected via Ethernet.  When I use apps like Netflix and Crunchyroll I have zero problems in regards to streaming and the quality of the stream is in HD.

I thought it was just YouTube on consoles being the issue so I tried using the YouTube app on my Wii U (which is connected via wi-fi as Wii U consoles do not have an Ethernet port) and whatever content I wanted to watch on the app played perfectly.  I'm going to try deleting the app and installing again and hopefully that will resolve the issue but I'm honestly not impressed at all.

EDIT:

I deleted the app and downloaded again.  Updated as prompted to the latest version.  Loaded the app and it still took minutes before I could search.  Searching was painfully slow.  I'd select a letter and the app would just lag while populating what it thinks I'm searching for.  In the end I just deleted it and if I want to watch YouTube content on my HDTV I'll just use my Wii U.

Message 29 of 30 (399 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 8, 2013

jayistheway wrote:

You never know if it could be compatibiliy issues with certain hdd's, or certain ps3 model numbers.

I just replaced my hard drive in my original 80GB model PS3 and then started having the choppy playback issue with the youtube app. it worked fine until then,,,,

Message 30 of 30 (280 Views)
0 Likes