Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 10 2010
By: jeff_rigby Uncharted Territory 2086 posts

Yahoo widgets and Google TV to coexist on the same TV and possibly PS3

7 replies 137 views Edited Aug 10, 2010

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25092  

Yahoo expands Sony TV partnership as more Google TV details emerge

As implied, the Yahoo Widget Engine enables the development of apps that are accessed via the TV, which provide Internet-based content. Right now this includes social networking, media and video, e-tail and gaming, with the SDK available to potentially anyone.  

Barvia Internet Video and Yahoo Widgets coming to the PS3 this year. 

YouTube of Bravia Video

Yahoo Widgets video

Yahoo widgets Sony Bravia Video

"Our expanded partnership with Sony increases the number of countries where Yahoo TV Widgets are available by nearly seven-fold, enabling us to connect millions of additional consumers to compelling Internet content and services right on their TV," said Jeff Kinder, SVP of Media Products and Solutions at Yahoo. "Yahoo is delivering the right content on the right platforms -- across mobile, PC, TV, and tablets -- ensuring the best experiences for our users, publishers, and developers.

Meanwhile Google has issued a video that attempts to explain what the hell Google TV actually is. Just to remind you, Sony is one of the key partners of Google TV - which seeks to super-impose the Internet (and, of course, Google search) on your TV screen. So it looks like some Sony TVs will have Google TV and Yahoo Widgets co-existing on the same screen as your TV programme.  

We have been told the Netfix on blu-ray disk was a java application.  Java is being ported to and expanded on in the PS3 so Netflix and other Internet applications will run from the XMB (Yahoo Widgets engine)  and won't need a blu-ray disk.  Yahoo widget applications which are written in Javascript are a part of the Bravia Internet release. The Yahoo Widgets engine is a Java application.

We have heard rumors of Google TV and Android applications eventually coming to the PS3.  Since Yahoo Widgets is a Java application and Android Apps share the same roots and thus calls as Java, both can be supported with little extra effort.

http://developer.android.com/guide/basics/what-is- android.html

Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications. The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using a flavor of the Java programming language. 

Google TV is the sum of multiple applications that expand on the Android webkit using a variation of the Java language called Android.  The Android webkit is based on KDE's open source webkit design as is Yahoo Widgets.  Apple uses the same webkit  basics in their ipad applications which look and act very similar to Yahoo Widgets.

The following diagram shows the major components of the Android operating system. Each section is described in more detail below. This gives you an idea of how complex a port of Google TV's Android OS to the PS3 would be.  The Top level in blue are applications that run on Android and can be ported with little effort.  The areas in Red and mustard are partially done as Linux and Other OS support contained the Linux virtual machine and a basic Linux kernel.     

Android System Architecture

Android will ship with a set of core applications including an email client, SMS program, calendar, maps, browser, contacts, and others. All applications are written using the Java programming language. 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1293 posts

Re: Yahoo widgets and Google TV to coexist on the same TV and possibly PS3

Jul 13, 2010

Didn't you already make a topic about this before? I know the picture is the same at least.

I hate yahoo with a passion, so intrusive in the way it does everything.

Legendaryphoenix
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4375 posts

Jul 13, 2010

Do you open a new thread for every thought you have?

This is still a Google TV thread.  Why don't you use the search feature, and add this to any one of the 4 dozen other threads you have made about Google TV and the PS3.

Stop spamming up the boards.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2086 posts

Jul 13, 2010

The-Sarge wrote:

Do you open a new thread for every thought you have?

This is still a Google TV thread.  Why don't you use the search feature, and add this to any one of the 4 dozen other threads you have made about Google TV and the PS3.

Stop spamming up the boards.

There are 17 threads where I mention Google TV.  I started about half of them, all in the last 4 months.  I find the subject interesting.  

I find conjecture on blu-ray drive failure that has been discussed over and over and settled as a higher duty cycle failure of marginal blue ray lasers due to heat buildup because of more efficient code or heavy use after a popular game release, boring.  You also could have searched the forum and found those threads.   

People enjoy conversations and I'm sure you enjoyed speculating on drive failures,  you are allowed and I am allowed some liberty on this forum to do this.  It's supposed to be fun and enjoyable....

And yes I had a new thought triggered by a news article.  This thought and the research it required gave me an insight I wanted to share.  I'm truly surprised that you did not find it interesting.  

Did you actually read it or did you just react to the words Google TV, shut down your brain and stick your foot into your mouth.  Can you not see the effort and thought that went into the post.  Calling it Spam is to say that my thoughts are worthless.  I'm hurt....  <guilt trip I learned from my mother, grin> 

If you wish to point out a flaw or error of fact in my post I will appreciate that.  PyrrhusRex does this often with me and he is usually correct.  He serves as a check on my facts and I appreciate his criticism. I don't like to be wrong and he keeps me on my toes.  People need that occasionally.  

They also need pointed out that life is too serious to be taken seriously.  Lighten up.....

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2086 posts

Jul 19, 2010

LegendaryPhoenix wrote:

Didn't you already make a topic about this before? I know the picture is the same at least.

Have you heard about the Free Android app generator that will be released to allow end users with NO programming skills to create Android apps.  See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ADwPLSFeY8&feature=player_embedded  for a video in action. 

For more information see: http://rpad.tv/2010/07/12/google-aims-to-make-android-development-easy-with-app-inventor/

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 19, 2010

If Sony added android to the PS3 I could almost forgive them for the removal of OtherOS..

nz

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2086 posts

Jul 19, 2010

notzippy wrote:

If Sony added android to the PS3 I could almost forgive them for the removal of OtherOS..

nz

That's been my point in multiple posts.  Android will give us easier to use and more relevant features.  It should also be faster and less obtrusive. The end user Android development tool is a perfect example of the easy to use customizable features in Android. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2086 posts

Aug 10, 2010

LegendaryPhoenix wrote:

Picture is the same, point of this thread is to point out that Yahoo Widgets, Android and Apple ipad applications share the same language roots in KDE's open source Webkit.   (To be perfectly accurate, Apple coined the name Webkit for their development fork of KDE's KHTML.)

There are several observations and a logical supposition

Netflix has stated that it's XMB version will be released late 2010.  It may requires Sony write Java support into the PS3 XMB OS. Yahoo widgets and Bravia Internet video is scheduled for PS3 release late this year and they require the same java support.  

Why support both if they provide the same functionality?  Yahoo until recently was the lighter less CPU intensive and TVs with limited CPU power can run Yahoo Widget applications (Yahoo recently expanded on their feature set and for a full feature set,  they too now require more CPU power). Yahoo LITE widget applications are already written for Sony TVs and Blu-Ray players, these will be ported to the PS3. 

Apparently Google has more money thus more resources and a better long range plan and at the 2010 CES Sony also signed on with Google.  For us this might have both Yahoo widgets and Android applications competing for the Sony Google TV and PS3 market; we win.  

There are problems with the PS3 browser.  

1) Slow updates by Sony  

2) Not enough people use it so that web sites will spend the time to properly support the version being used (agent string and CSS interrogation).

#2 Seems to indicate that even SONY US management does not properly support the PS3 browser.  As stated above, some of the Sony web sites do not properly support the PS3; that is sad. 

The open source Webkit by KDE was an attempt to standardize Web browsers but the one chosen by Sony is not based on Webkit.  Google's Chrome web browser, Internet Explorer, Mozilla and even Apples web browser were originally based on Webkit.  The different forks of the various engines are based on KHTML or Webkit and now have different names but are being developed in parallel and comply to a common standard.

"The PlayStation 3 uses a version of the NetFront browser by Access Co. as its internal web browser. It is the same browser used in the PSP (Sony-branded NetFront 2.81) with the same interface, menus and virtual keyboard. Its user agent string is cloaked, falsely reporting as Mozilla/5.0 (PLAYSTATION 3; 1.00)."  This probably creates some of the issues we are having. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetFront 

In defending Sony's Browser choice: The Netfront browser converts tables in a Web page into a vertical display, eliminating the need to scroll horizontally.This allows the user to zoom in and out on Web pages from 25% to 100%, and can select or scroll anywhere on a page with the stylus on Pocket PC devices. The software can open up to five windows and the user can tab to any one of them. 

Zoom (R3) is needed to view/read text on many TV displays.  This need eliminates all the popular "standardized" web browsers.  Google Chrome/Google TV is the only browser that may address this issue. 

So Sony was stuck with Netfront and could not port a different browser to the PS3 or PSP.  This has recently changed with Google TV.  The recent announcement that Google owned Youtube is going to support 4K res pictures as well as 3-D pictures and video and Sony will eventually be able to display, at least the 3-D would require a significant rewrite of the PS3 browser.  This may be another clue to a Google TV port to the PS3.

I would guess from the HULU plus release timing that it's application on the PS3, like Netflix, is to be built with java.  HULU plus is releasing on devices that support Java, Android or iPad this year and next year on devices that don't currently support some form of  Webkit (Xbox).  Edit: The HULU plus release is a stand alone program like MLB.  It may use a compiled java or C+ but the size of the program (28 meg) indicates that it is pretty much self contained ( includes all librarys).  This may be for security reasons or that Java and the low level calls and routines to be used by Yahoo widgets or possibly Android are not yet in the PS3 firmware. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (137 Views)
0 Likes