Dec 16 2012
By: Andvil82 First Son 3 posts

YLOD on fat PS3 - bad graphics card?

5 replies 580 views Edited Dec 16, 2012

I'm not sure what all information I need to provide, but my PS3 model # is CECHE01 mg

it's the 80GB version that came bundled with MGS4.  I got that bundle the day it came out and my PS3 has been working flawlessly since.

A couple days ago, while playing Okami HD, my PS3 just completely shuts off.  No weird graphical glitches, no warning signs, just shuts off as if my power went out or something.  I tried to turn it back on, and it quickly flashes the yellow light and then beeping red lights, and the console shuts off.  I should mention my PS3 sits in an open area, and I clean it regularly.  I'm almost 100% sure dust/overheating  is not the issue.

I took it to a local PC/console repair shop and they said the graphics card went bad, and there's nothing they can do about it.  The weird thing is that the warranty seal is completely untouched (the sticker is like new, I've never opened my PS3).....it looks like they didnt even bother to open it up.  Is this something they can diagnose without even looking inside?

anyway, my #1 priority is the data on the drive.  If there is any way I can fix my PS3 without losing my data, that's what I want to do.  I'm even willing to buy a brand new PS3 if I can get my data transferred to it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6 (580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: YLOD on fat PS3 - bad graphics card?

[ Edited ]
Dec 16, 2012

just wanted to mention, I tried turning it on with and without the hard drive in the system, and it does the same thing either way. 

When I plug the system in and hit the power switch on the back of the system, the solid red light stays on.  If I hit power, it turns green, then quick yellow, then BEEP BEEP BEEP, then steady flashing red.  If I hit power again, then the light goes back to solid red, and if I hit power again, the cycle starts over.

Message 2 of 6 (564 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Quick reply:  What have you been playing?

The other guys were playing Black Ops.  They already posted and I just read their post.

Message 3 of 6 (561 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Andvil82 wrote:

I'm not sure what all information I need to provide, but my PS3 model # is CECHE01 mg

it's the 80GB version that came bundled with MGS4.  I got that bundle the day it came out and my PS3 has been working flawlessly since.

A couple days ago, while playing Okami HD, my PS3 just completely shuts off.  No weird graphical glitches, no warning signs, just shuts off as if my power went out or something.  I tried to turn it back on, and it quickly flashes the yellow light and then beeping red lights, and the console shuts off.  I should mention my PS3 sits in an open area, and I clean it regularly.  I'm almost 100% sure dust/overheating  is not the issue.

I took it to a local PC/console repair shop and they said the graphics card went bad, and there's nothing they can do about it.  The weird thing is that the warranty seal is completely untouched (the sticker is like new, I've never opened my PS3).....it looks like they didnt even bother to open it up.  Is this something they can diagnose without even looking inside?

anyway, my #1 priority is the data on the drive.  If there is any way I can fix my PS3 without losing my data, that's what I want to do.  I'm even willing to buy a brand new PS3 if I can get my data transferred to it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You have the Yellow Light of Death (YLOD), this is usually caused by fractured solder under the GPU chip (there is no video card in the PS3). It can be fixed, and the PS3 has to be working to be able to access and backup your data.

I wrote a guide about this, with your available options. This link is directly below:

Message 4 of 6 (559 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
3 posts

Dec 16, 2012
Station22: I was playing Okami HD for about a week or two, nothing else.

Logical_Dolphin: thank you very much. I'm not comfortable doing soldering and all that stuff myself, I'll probably end up sending it in to Endless Electronics.
Message 5 of 6 (547 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

I'm just saying, lights changing color and going black and so on, that can't be good for your gaming.  You'd have a prismatic disco ball on your hands.  That's why I was wondering what you had been playing.  

But, if you're comfortable with a new unit then that's what i would reccommend for you.  Some people go xBox, but that just isn't my style.  I'll just say that even today, MS pleases some people, and leaves other people behind, if that means anything to anyone in a non-specific way.  Developing gaming consoles is, I would say, like a fine art.  It takes a lot of creative people, technical people and so on, getting together in meetings and designing stuff and really getting into their craft, polishing the old nugget till it shines, etc.  Well, I'm sure you get the idea.  

I need to erect a Christmas tree right now, cheers!

Message 6 of 6 (539 Views)
0 Likes