Dec 31 2013
By: Tigertown55 First Son 3 posts

Won't recognize any game disc

5 replies 115 views Edited Dec 31, 2012

My NCAA'13 froze today, I had to hold the power button down about ten seconds to get it to shut off, I didn't power back up for a couple hours, and when I did, the system will not recognize any games.  I can put them in, and it sounds like they are booting up, but it never recognizes it, please help.

Message 1 of 6 (115 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18799 posts

Re: Won't recognize any game disc

Dec 31, 2012

|Welcome to the PS Community.

Try playing some bluray DVDs movies, as well as, regular DVDs & CDs. If the PS3 is capable of playing DVDs & CDs but not bluray DVDs [PS3 games & movies] than this means the blue diode in the bluray drive has died. The blue diode is what allows the bluray drive to read bluray format discs. You will have to get your system serviced

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 2 of 6 (104 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 31, 2012

Seems to be exactly the problem.  Will play reg. DVD's, will not play other games or Blue-Ray's.  Any idea the cost or extent, or would I be better off buying a new system?

Message 3 of 6 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
11 posts

Dec 31, 2012

if you dont have warranty get a new bluray drive, my ps3 wouldnt read games but could play dvds and games on the hardrive just fine so i looked it up and found out the blurayrrive burned out. fixed it by ordering a new bluraydrive off ebay and replacing it with my old one. find out what model number your ps3 is by looking at the back barcode for the serial number. the model number will start with "CECH" and then another letter to let you know what model it is. i recommend this video its what i watched to get the repair done

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aLYwLOuKto

before ordering a new bluraydrive open it up and try cleaning the bluray lense with rubbing alcohol it might just be covered with dust. it shouldnt cost that much to fix really. for me i spent about $115 to fix it 100 went to the bluray drive and 15 for a screw driver set becuase i didnt have any at the time. but you can probably find drives for around $80 now

Message 4 of 6 (88 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Dec 31, 2012

Thank you very much, will try to clean it first, then go from there. 

Message 5 of 6 (85 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18799 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 31, 2012

You can also:

Send it to Sony for repair or a refurbished PS3. This would cost you around $120. I've a refurbished PS3 Slim myself and this has been working outstandingly since 2009.

You can find out more on the specifics by calling Sony support.

PHONE 800-345-SONY
Mon - Sun 6:00AM - 10:00PM Pacific

There are third party companies who provide this type of service. I have not use any of them therefore I can't recommend any.

If you have the money then why not get a new PS3. There are lots of good PS3 bundles ranging from 200 to 230+ dollars. Depending on your current PS3 model and game library, you will get a bigger HDD & new games all in one package. Weight your options and your budget.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 6 of 6 (84 Views)
0 Likes