Jan 08 2013
By: Megalith_Head First Son 3 posts

Will Sony even touch my PS3?

7 replies 108 views Edited Jan 8, 2013

Back story on this PS3: I had bought it a few years ago on eBay, a PS3 80gb fat. About a year later it got the yellow light of death and I searched up and down for a solution online and got very mixed results, nothing worked. Ultimately I had to open up the PS3 to try and see if any of what I saw would do the trick. Now, this PS3 was past it's warranty to begin with and I knew I'd be paying a service fee to get it fixed.

The question is, will Sony even bother with me since the PS3 has been opened? I've read that they won't honor the warranty but would they still help me out by either fixing it or giving me a replacement? The system hasn't been tinkered in anyway, just the case opened and closed. I'm concerned because I realized this today after I got my box to mail it off :/

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (108 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16266 posts

Re: Will Sony even touch my PS3?

Jan 8, 2013

Megalith_Head wrote:

Back story on this PS3: I had bought it a few years ago on eBay, a PS3 80gb fat. About a year later it got the yellow light of death and I searched up and down for a solution online and got very mixed results, nothing worked. Ultimately I had to open up the PS3 to try and see if any of what I saw would do the trick. Now, this PS3 was past it's warranty to begin with and I knew I'd be paying a service fee to get it fixed.

The question is, will Sony even bother with me since the PS3 has been opened? I've read that they won't honor the warranty but would they still help me out by either fixing it or giving me a replacement? The system hasn't been tinkered in anyway, just the case opened and closed. I'm concerned because I realized this today after I got my box to mail it off :/

Thank you.

The warranty is long expired. They may still repair it even though it's been opened but I'd suggest you go thru Endless Electronics. They offer a better warranty.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (104 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
27678 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Megalith_Head wrote:

Thank you.

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Assuming you read it, the email that you received said the following:

Your system will be RETURNED UN-SERVICED due to any of the following:

• Excessive wear and tear, neglect, abuse, accident and/or modification.
  • Serial Number Label has been tampered with, cut, torn or removed.
  • The model number we receive from you does not match the model number you gave us over the phone or through Online Service Request.
  • Invalid Service Request number.
  • For the trade-in option: the original Hard Disc Drive must be included with the system to qualify.

Maybe the highlighted part applies to you?

BRIT-KO.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (101 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Well the wife claims the serial number label is fine as she had to type it into the form to request service. Apparently it hasn't been tampered with. That is the number on the back right?

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (97 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
27678 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

Megalith_Head wrote:

Well the wife claims the serial number label is fine as she had to type it into the form to request service. Apparently it hasn't been tampered with. That is the number on the back right?

Yep, the one on the back.

Also unless you've already paid your $150.00 or whatever it is Sony charges these days my friend ne1's suggestion above of going with Endless Electronics would likely be a better option for you.

The warranty on any repair performed by Sony is only for 3 months (90 days), with EE their warranty is for a year, if not more, their prices are very good too.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (89 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 8, 2013

it's $129 now, and yes, we already paid it... but i guess it's all right then huh?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (81 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16266 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Megalith_Head wrote:

it's $129 now, and yes, we already paid it... but i guess it's all right then huh?

There's nothing to be done now but send it I guess. Like Brit said you're only going to get a 90 day warranty from Sony. I know of people that once they receive it back they immediately open it and reapply thermal paste because what Sony typically uses is inferior. Of course that immediately voids the 90 day warranty.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (75 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
46584 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (65 Views)
0 Likes