I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Re: Why do people care so much about cross game voice chat?

Apr 2, 2009

asoccer wrote:
It is alot easier to talk with friend's cause Gaming= hard to talk with friend on another game. So put in game Chat; trust me it help's alot

i see the basic need and use.  just dont see why people are taking it so seriously.  Would i use it if it were available? from time to time but i'm not going to slam sony for it at the moment.

and comparing the companies features is a waste of time.

sony is a hardware company.  we have the best hardware.

microsoft is a software company.  they have the best online service.  

there is only one reason sony has a few delays.  they are trying to do it themselves when they should hire a software company to make the software for them. but thats another conversation for another day.

and still i will say, if i'm playing oblivion or another single player game and i get a phone call.  i pause the game most of the time.  i want to enjoy my game without distractions.  thats just me.  i'm not saying thats how you should play it just saying i dont see voice chat as a top priority.  

saying that chatting or sending a game invite is the same.. not really.  i get a game invite i can accept it or deny it.  i accept it you'll see me in game.  i deny, you wont.  simple and to the point.  

when i played my 360 more especially when i first bought it in early 2007, yeah we would leave each other voice messages.  meeting up at 8pm for XYZ game.  etc.. but we wouldnt rely on it we went back and forth with voice and text. 

its actually faster for me to read "OK" or "8PM, i'll send invite" than to have to tab down to voice listen to message etc.. 

on a side note a lot of games are starting to add features we wish all games had.  it seems like s step in the right direction.  it just also seems silly to come to a sony forum to see people slam sony like its a microsoft forum.  

let it go.. we will get the features when we get them. lets just face it.  sony is not the best at software, cant fault them for that. i'm still happy with my ps3 and appreciate and welcome any update they deliver, no matter how small the offering.

Message 31 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Apr 2, 2009

ShadowPelican wrote:

LordRaoh wrote:

i dont really care for cross game voice chat. or text chat for that matter. i turn off message notifications on my ps3 and 360.

If i'm playing a game.. why would i want to talk to anyone? and if its a multiplayer game i'm more than likely too busy talking to my squad/teammates to talk to anyone.

The only feature i'm hoping will arrive soon is the ability to invite friends from the friends list into my game.

why do people want to chat so badly? i dont get it. mark my words, sony will eventually add cross game voice chat and you know what will happen? nothing, cause its a stupid feature for people to get worked up over. 

Here is a scenerio: a friend sets up a voice chat with another friend:

Caller: Hey wassup..

Called person: uh, hey, wassup, i'm playing a game (which you can obviously see under their name in the friends list).. what you doing?

caller: nothing.. just saying hi, so what you been up to?

called person: ??? uh, nothing really.. I..uh... listen i was just about to beat this level before you called to voice chat and now i'm not focused and will have to start over from my last checkpoint.. is there a point to you wanting to voice chat with me?

ERRN WRONG.

Some EA games have HORRIBLE online voice chat.  For example, NHL, Burnout, etc all have really choppy voice chat.  With cross-game chat, we can overide these crappy EA servers and have good voice chat using the PS3 network.   I know on my Xbox, when we play NHL, we party up and use cross game chat to talk, instead of having to rely on the choppy mics.  Also, we dont have to listen to the stupid opponents we beat after the game.

i hate party chat.

i join a L4D game.  no one can hear me or if they can i cant hear them.. why? cause the fools are in party chat and i cant communicate with my team members cause they are in party chat.  i can see the usefullness of party chat but it has ruined on the fly in game communication

Message 32 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Apr 2, 2009
I love the comment about 65 to 70% of people don't have mics,, LOL.  If only, maybe then you could hear the people talking in COD and not music and screaming idots.
Message 33 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Apr 2, 2009

LordRaoh, it seems that you still do not understand how the general espect works.  You claim the point of Voice chat is nothing more then just a general converstation, but 90% of my conversations with other players is gaming related.  We are not in the 20th centuary anymore.  Gaming has evolved from local to a online community and the sad part about it is the competition is pulling the strings and is succeeding at it regardless of the requirement to pay a subscription fee. 

You also claim that your goal is to play and not chat.  That right there tells me you are oblivious the online community espect that gaming has evolved in.  If I wanted to play somebody in Killzone 2 that is on my friends list, I do not have to wait until he or she enters my game in order to talk with them and if you have not heard of a game called Socom, you are REQUIRED to have a headset because it's essential for team player based games.  Not every game is about entering a random server full of random people where you just do not care about anything but your K/D ratio.  Those are the times where you just have your headset off.

Everytime I chat to someone, it's GAMING related and I have been doing that threw the constant stream of text messages where I have to pause my game, bring up the XMB, highlight the persons name, open up other menu, hit X to bring up there last send message, hit reply, type in the body, hit send, press O all the way back to the main XMB menu, press the PS button then unpause my game.  That is a pain in the ass.  While text chat was a nice solution, the censorship kills it and still requires you to pause your game and press the PS button in order to type a reply.  Faster then text messaging, yes but still very inconvient to use when you are in a online session. 

Message 34 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Apr 2, 2009
The whole point of Party Chat is to chat with ur friends n their friends only. If u want to chat with others, then dont join or make a Party Chat.
Message 35 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
589 posts

Apr 2, 2009

People have friends in different states and countries. They want the option to just talk to their friends and not have others listen in or have to hear others babble on or hear others try to rap or hear babies cry in the background.  For one person that does not want private chat there are 9 people that do. It is a very common thing these days, it is another option that make things easier on the gamers that like to party up and just have sessions with people on their friends list. Also, people want to be able to change games, go from the XMB to a game or invite people to a game without having to stop chatting. 

Erasure242
Gaming Console Network
www.gamingconsolenetwork.com
Message 36 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6938 posts

Apr 2, 2009
I think you should leave this site and never come back again.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 37 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Apr 2, 2009

You can tell from the replies who wants to have a discussion and who just wants to be noticed by saying anything.  

Again i'm not bashing people for using the voice or video chat for communication.  my brother is in the army (24 years in the army) stationed in texas and we use our ps3's to communicate when the family is over.  using the playstation eye is great for this.  so its not about NOT seeing voice chat as an option that should be available its about the emphasis on it. 

Regarding party chat being for friends and not joining a game.  ifyou hit the quick match option your not choosing your game room or if you want it to be just for your friends lock the room.  other than that expect to invite people into yoru party chat so they can communicate on the real topic at hand. the game.

_____

FAILEDexe i think you misunderstand me, or i'm missing what it is people want in voice chat. if you and i are playing socom which i have played since the first one or killzone etc.   then yes i will be communicating to my team often and asking that they communicate with me.  that already exists, i believe we are talking about talking to other people not playing in our game.  i'm talking about a situation where you are playing socom or kz2 and then want to chat with a friend who is playing motorstorm.   i at times put people like this on the same level of those who want to have a phone conversation in a game like socom or kz2 while their mics are on.  or ignoring the game communication cause they want to tell their friend they had a bad taco for lunch.  

in game communication is what i do.  especially in socom where i dont want the other team over hearing my conversation.  which is why i love the sony mic for the mute button.  I'm all for communicationin game and that comes from playing every socom, call of duty 4, keyboard based games like everquest online adventures, final fantasy xi, World of Warcraft etc etc etc..  so for the record i'm not talking about in game communication with my fellow gamers in the same game i'm talking about the need to communicate with people not in your game.  

yes i would love sony to deliver cross game voice chat for a few instances where it would be useful.  but i have been communicating setting up clan practices in KZ2 effectively with text.  i mean even setting up group text chat makes this easier so, thank you sony.

see what i did there i thanked sony for their update instead of bashing them.

but while i would love to say something verbally to a friend playing another game.  game invites, more stable servers, not only in game music but in game music that allows me to play music from my media servers, a party system (not only voice) that would automatically try to join my friends and clan mates into the same room is a lot more on the top of my list of things i demand than talking to people who are not in the game i'm playing.

i've been a member (not always active) of this board for a long time.  and a long time sony fan (not fanboy, ok you can call me a sony fanboy) but my post was not to bash these features but instead to figure out why cross game voice chat is so high on some peoples list of must have features when i feel there are more important features that should be available.

why cant i use my blu ray remote to navigate through Qore? why cant i access my XMB while playing a blu ray movie?  why cant my friends and i auto join friends when we are playing the same game?  why doesnt the sony keypad have back lighting? 

But really? cross game voice chat is on the top of everyones list? 

Message 38 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
694 posts

Apr 2, 2009
so we can beat xbox!!!!!!!!!!!
and it is really easier to just say hey whats up lets play call of duty 4 and invite blank, blank, and blank.
Best video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9lKw69eAc
Message 39 of 47 (1 View)
I Only Post Everything
1189 posts

Apr 2, 2009

soccer1399 wrote:
so we can beat xbox!!!!!!!!!!!
and it is really easier to just say hey whats up lets play call of duty 4 and invite blank, blank, and blank.

LOL

i could see and would love that.. but if sony is having a hard time getting around the voice chat patent.. the game invit feature would be enough for me.

on the other one, i would just get the invite sometimes.. the invite said which game, so i wouldnt even have to be asked or ask.. "oh, homie invited me to play such game.. hmm not a bad idea" load up game and play or "hmmm naw, i need to play this level first" or i would send a text usually but sometimes a voice message (a message not open the lines of communication) saying "give me 20 minutes" 

call it anti social but when i'm deep into a game of Savage Moon, the last thing i want to do is chat.  

Message 40 of 47 (1 View)
0 Likes