Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 27 2013
By: alexgamelife First Son 1 posts
Accepted Solution

What will happen to the flash storage when I install a HDD?

2 replies 81 views Edited May 27, 2013

Hello!

This might seem like a dumb question, and I'm almost sure I know the answer but it's driving me crazy not being 100% sure. I've Googled and searched here (A LOT) but I have yet to find a a satisfying answer.

I have the 12 gb PS3 Super Slim, and I'm going to install an internal HDD... 

My question is - What will happen to the data saved on the 12 gb flash storage when I install the HDD? Will it automatically transfer all the saved game files , installed games etc, or will it disappear? I'm thinking nothing will happen since the new HDD and the built in flash storage are two different units, and therefor it would make no sense that the HDD would interact with the flash storage in a negative way.

I just want to make sure that when I've finally installed the new HDD in my PS3, that the old (flash storage) files will still be there.

I hope that I made enough sense for someone to give me an answer, I tend to make questions or whatever seem complicated

Replies are highly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

/Alex

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (81 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8086 posts

Re: What will happen to the flash storage when I install a HDD?

May 28, 2013

I would get a 16GB USB thumb drive and use the PS3's backup utility to back up what is currently on the PS3.  Once you put the hard drive in and install the system software, run the restore function from the backup utility.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (72 Views)
MVP Support
14369 posts

Re: What will happen to the flash storage when I install a HDD?

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2013

After the hard disk drive is installed, the 12GB of flash memory will no longer be accessible.  A PS3 can only have one System storage device, and the hard disk drive takes precedence.  Nothing will be transferred automatically. You need to back up the flash storage using the PS3 Backup Utility (as already suggested) before you install the hard disk drive, and then restore the backup to the hard disk drive after it is installed.  The 12GB PS3 is not like the 4GB XBox 360, where you can still access the flash memory after you install the hard disk drive.  Nothing happens to the data in the flash memory.  If you remove the hard disk drive, the flash memory contents will still be there.

GKP
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (66 Views)